HABEMUS PAPAM!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-What is the job/role of the Pope?

a type of spiritual liason for Catholics between heaven and earth? Yes!

-Is the Pope considered infallible? No!

Infallibility of the Pope is a basic teaching of the Catholic church. At least the one I went to. So, I googled to see if I missed something:

Papal infallibility is a dogma of the Catholic Church which states that, in virtue of the promise of Jesus to Peter, the Pope is preserved from the possibility of error[1] "when, in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority, he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole Church".[2]

Does this mean Frances the man is infallible? No.

[/b]

Infallibility of the Pope is a basic teaching of the Catholic church. At least the one I went to. So, I googled to see if I missed something:

Papal infallibility is a dogma of the Catholic Church which states that, in virtue of the promise of Jesus to Peter, the Pope is preserved from the possibility of error[1] "when, in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority, he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole Church".[2]

Does this mean Frances the man is infallible? No.

As the last two popes have stated when asked, they themselves said NO! This is one of the most misunderstood things in the Catholic Church, which by the way, I too am Catholic. I decided not to expand on that later as a few of our other BGP members had already explained it.

As the last two popes have stated when asked, they themselves said NO! This is one of the most misunderstood things in the Catholic Church, which by the way, I too am Catholic. I decided not to expand on that later as a few of our other BGP members had already explained it.

Got it! :thumb:

-What is the job/role of the Pope?

-How do Catholics view the Pope? Is he just a man with a job, is he a type of spiritual liason for Catholics between heaven and earth?

I wanted to touch on this question one more time because after thinking about it, I didn't answer very well. The role of the pope could best be summed up in Chap 21 of John where Jesus three times instructs Peter to feed (or tend) his sheep. The Good Shepherd has ascended to heaven and a long line of unworthy shepherds (none are worthy other than the Good Shepherd) have had the responsibility to sit in his place till the Good Shepherd returns.