NKY's Crazy-Sick Sophomore Class

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bolden, hatton, Campbell will all play D1 for sure. Ruthsatz is not a D1 player. His limited size will be the biggest factor. Second he has struggled against quicker stronger guards. Also, he doesn't play much defense, everytime I have watched him play he is just gambling all over the place. Great player at the high school level but don't think he has the capability of playing D1.

It only takes one D1 school to like you enough to make you a D1 player. There are a whole lot of very average D1 conference/schools where Ruthsatz could play.

The opposite side to that is that there are a whole lot of very good D2 schools where Ruthsatz could be an impact player. Depends on what the student athlete and parent are looking for as far as playing time, ability to play for conference championships and play in NCAA tournament.

With that being said I was able to watch Ruthsatz in an open gym environment against a current D2 PG and he struggled with the physicality and quickness. Ruthsatz is a very very good offensive player at the high school level but he is not very solid on the defensive side of the ball especially against guards who are just as quick or have more size.

To play at the D1 level someone is going to have to ovelook his size and defensive liabilities. He is also a volume shooter from the PG position and you don't see a whole lot of 5'9" shoot first PG's at the D1 level.

Bolden, hatton, Campbell will all play D1 for sure. Ruthsatz is not a D1 player. His limited size will be the biggest factor. Second he has struggled against quicker stronger guards. Also, he doesn't play much defense, everytime I have watched him play he is just gambling all over the place. Great player at the high school level but don't think he has the capability of playing D1.

Ruthsatz has a school (maybe a few) who are past the stage of letters and sending coaches. They have had him come and watch them play. Does that mean he's getting an offer? No. It does mean he's past the first big hurdle and that the school has seen enough to have him come to a game.

Is Ruthsatz any better than say a Todd Jacobs or maybe even a Mike Hester? Those in my opinion were some of the better NKY PGs in recent memory but I don't think either went D1...

No bigger TJ fan on here than me. With that, Ruthsatz is a better outside shooter with a tighter handle.

We've never seen Nick purely as a traditional PG. That's the big unanswered question.

As someone said, it only takes one program to say "we like you." There is at least one of those saying that now. Fine line between lower-level D1 and the D2 kids. Interchangeable.

I'd say Nick has a 25% chance of playing D1.

I agree with the overall list of potential D1 players currently playing in NKY. Campbell(obviously), Hatton, and Bolden (probably).

I can tell you that Bolden is going to need to show consistency with his J to get him to the higher levels.

Bolden will need to show consistency with a jumper but that is something that will only improve the more he works on his game. Which by the way he is a complete gym rat. Also, he has been very efficient this year with his shooting percentages from waht I have heard. Bolden has all of the things you can't teach. So much with recruiting these days has to do with potential and upside. For example, Bolden is around 6 foot still has time to grow, can play above the rim at a little under 6 ft point guard, has the quickness, and is very long. Ruthsatz has flat lined already. I don't see him growing anymore, he won't ever play above the rim, and although he is a great scorer at the high school level it has been shown that he is very stoppable. It would be interesting to see him in a role as a pass first point guard but I have yet to see that at High School level or the AAU level. His go to is his scoring and if he ever plays D1 scoring will be last in line. If he can't guard at that level, he will simply never see the floor.

Who is recruiting Ruthsatz Clyde? I have heard Wofford which a player by the name of Brad Loesing, played at Cincy St. X, 6ft 190 pounds had a very successful career. But if you compare the games of him and ruthsatz they are completely different players. Brad was never a volume scorer, was he capable? Definitely. But his defense and passing ability was off the charts. His motor was great as well.

Another comparable player at the PG position would be Ethan Faulkner currently playing at NKU. 6'1'' 185 lbs a pass first, high motor, defenive type of player. Since the move to D1 his shooting percentages have struggled but assists have been solid as usual.

Nick Ruthsatz is listed at 5'10'' 160lbs. That is a bit generous he is probably 5'8'' and it would be pushing to say 5'9''.

My biggest question is....CCH has had some phenomenal guards over the years...yet not 1 comes to mind for shooting as much as Ruthsatz does. Granted over the years the talent level was pretty darn good and the CCH teams had depth and made Regional runs year in and year out.

Some of the names that come to mind are:

Nestheide

Tierney

Shover

Combo Guards

Bain

Jacobs

Bovard

If these guys were taking as many shots as Ruthsatz does night in and night out would they average just as many? Keep in mind every one of these players played at the collegiate level.

My biggest question is....CCH has had some phenomenal guards over the years...yet not 1 comes to mind for shooting as much as Ruthsatz does. Granted over the years the talent level was pretty darn good and the CCH teams had depth and made Regional runs year in and year out.

Some of the names that come to mind are:

Nestheide

Tierney

Shover

Combo Guards

Bain

Jacobs

Bovard

If these guys were taking as many shots as Ruthsatz does night in and night out would they average just as many? Keep in mind every one of these players played at the collegiate level.

Not counting the shots where he is fouled he is averaging around 14 FGAs per game. For comparison Hatton averages around 15 FGAs per game. They have attempted close to the same number of FTs.

I have no idea how many shots those you mention (all good players) averaged.

I also don't think colleges recruit based off of total points scored.

Is Ruthsatz any better than say a Todd Jacobs or maybe even a Mike Hester? Those in my opinion were some of the better NKY PGs in recent memory but I don't think either went D1...

I will go a little more recent and compare Ruthsatz to Mikey Gabbard from Boone County and Kellen Smith of Scott both of who were recruited at a higher level than Jacobs and Hester. Both are enjoying a lot of success currently at the D2 level.

Ruthsatz has a much more refined offensive game as far as scoring the basketball than both of those players but both are bigger, stronger, just as quick and have a more complete game. Ruthsatz ability to score the basketball will get him some opportunities. What gets him on the court at the next level will be his ability to adjust his game and show a little more commitment on the defensive side of the ball.

I will go a little more recent and compare Ruthsatz to Mikey Gabbard from Boone County and Kellen Smith of Scott both of who were recruited at a higher level than Jacobs and Hester. Both are enjoying a lot of success currently at the D2 level.

Ruthsatz has a much more refined offensive game as far as scoring the basketball than both of those players but both are bigger, stronger, just as quick and have a more complete game. Ruthsatz ability to score the basketball will get him some opportunities. What gets him on the court at the next level will be his ability to adjust his game and show a little more commitment on the defensive side of the ball.

I would argue you haven't watched him enough if you say he needs to show "more commitment on the defensive side of the ball." He's one of the top on-ball defenders in the 9th.

As to the Smith/Gabbard comparison, I'd say he's a much better shooter than those two and has a better handle than Gabbard. Gabbard was really good(I'm a big fan of his) and was good at using his broad shoulders to penetrate.

Smith's handle is better (slightly). Smith is more of a pure PG than Nick has been at CCH.

I'm not saying colleges are recruiting based off points but when you look at Ruthsatz stats or watch him in person his biggest attribute is scoring. In fact, I am showing that scoring the ball from a PG perspective, at the next level, shows us very little as far as what division the kid can play. Thing such as size, quickness, ability to pass, and ability to defend are much more important. When comparing these skills ruthsatz, IMO, is no better than any of the kids mentioned in the last several posts. That being older players from CCH, Hester, Smith, or Gabbard. None of them played D1....therefore I don't see Ruthsatz playing D1.

I agree with 4pointplay on Ruthsatz committing more on the defensive side of the play. Every time I have watched him play all he does is gamble, reach, and look for steals. He usually guards the other teams weakest guard. I can't recall a time Ruthsatz has ever locked someone up on the defensive end. With the way CCH plays and Ruthsatz averaging 20 a game it purely shows that he is relied upon to score the basketball, thats it.

I'm not saying colleges are recruiting based off points but when you look at Ruthsatz stats or watch him in person his biggest attribute is scoring. In fact, I am showing that scoring the ball from a PG perspective, at the next level, shows us very little as far as what division the kid can play. Thing such as size, quickness, ability to pass, and ability to defend are much more important. When comparing these skills ruthsatz, IMO, is no better than any of the kids mentioned in the last several posts. That being older players from CCH, Hester, Smith, or Gabbard. None of them played D1....therefore I don't see Ruthsatz playing D1.

We don't see a true PG during the season. My guess is schools get a better feel during AAU. I have no clue what team he plays for so I can't tell you what his role is on that team.

I will tell you this. Even those you mention didn't have the ability to hit the step-back 3 or shoot the 3 off the curl or the pull-up 3 like Nick can. That's the biggest difference I see even taking into account any negatives to his game.