Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Basketball Officials

Featured Replies

No one gets more abuse or less respect than high school basketball officials. Just read any game thread on BGP. At least 75% of the time there is a post in the thread about how bad the officials were. We should just change game thread title formats to ABC 75 XYZ 67 Officials Stink. It is so tiresome to read about bad officiating in every game thread. Why does there have to be a whine about officials in almost every thread?

  • Replies 54
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is an impossible job that when done well ends with the losing teams supporters complaining. The things you hear screamed during a game are outrageous. Message boards seem pretty tame in comparison.

No one gets more abuse or less respect than high school basketball officials. Just read any game thread on BGP. At least 75% of the time there is a post in the thread about how bad the officials were. We should just change game thread title formats to ABC 75 XYZ 67 Officials Stink. It is so tiresome to read about bad officiating in every game thread. Why does there have to be a whine about officials in almost every thread?

 

There should be a general thread just to whine about the refs. Give the game, scenario, and what YOU think the call should have been. Keep that crap off the game threads, I care how about how the PLAYERS performed, not that the ref missed a charge call in the first half and your team lost by one point because of it.

 

Better yet, lets have people come watch those who complain perform their job and constantly criticize/correct you throughout the day. I bet that would be enjoyable.

I complain about officiating when it's inconsistent. With a three man team, not sure why a walk isn't a walk, a carry isn't a carry and an illegal screen isn't an illegal screen. Want to see us mad? Call any of the above at one end while the other 2 refs are coasting along and not calling it at the other end.

There should be a general thread just to whine about the refs. Give the game, scenario, and what YOU think the call should have been. Keep that crap off the game threads, I care how about how the PLAYERS performed, not that the ref missed a charge call in the first half and your team lost by one point because of it.

 

:thumb: I like your idea, BIG BLACK JACK.

I really hate it when the game threads go into a rant about the officials. Ever since I joined BGP, I have tried to avoid it. Why? Because IMO, when the refs are entered into the game threads, it makes the poster appear whiney. I don't want that on me.

No one gets more abuse or less respect than high school basketball officials. Just read any game thread on BGP. At least 75% of the time there is a post in the thread about how bad the officials were. We should just change game thread title formats to ABC 75 XYZ 67 Officials Stink. It is so tiresome to read about bad officiating in every game thread. Why does there have to be a whine about officials in almost every thread?

 

VOR, I would agree to a point, however some calls in these games leaving you scratching your head! Like paNDA states in the post above, "It is an impossible job", you will always have one side in disagreement. I have no doubt that all officials do their very best and are not trying to "job" anyone. That being said, I don't think it is wrong to call into question what might look like a questionable call/calls during the course of a game to be discussed on this site. What might look like a good call to fans on one side of the gym might look totally the opposite on the other. If their are a hand full of BGP'ers at the game on both sides of the gym we could have totally different views and possibly see something that those on the other side didn't. This was the case last night at Covcath/Moeller game, I was on one side while Clyde & theoldguy were on the other and I was curious on their take of some of the calls, was not really complaining but looking for their point of view since they had a different view from the other side.

 

I believe for the most part that the majority of BGP'ers have the utmost respect for the officials and realize that they have an extreme difficult job to do and will not make some happy. However I think it is alright to call into question some calls and seek others perspectives. JMO

I complain about officiating when it's inconsistent. With a three man team, not sure why a walk isn't a walk, a carry isn't a carry and an illegal screen isn't an illegal screen. Want to see us mad? Call any of the above at one end while the other 2 refs are coasting along and not calling it at the other end.
Have you ever officiated?

Its a tough job and i wouldnt want it. However, just as with any job that you are paid to do there is going to be criticism and judgement. Its either going to be from your boss or the people in the stands. Get a thick skin and do your job. Period.

 

There are going to be rants that are ridiculous and rants on here that are justified. The bottom line is nothing is going to change so deal with it.

It is a tough job and I would not want to do it. I think a better question would be, have we seen better quality games from officials since they have gone to a 3 official crew? My answer would be no. Even in games where we dont have a dog in the fight, I still see a lot of inconsistencies. I see no difference from the 2 to the 3 man crews. Everyone is going to make mistakes, but I think all coaches ask is for the officials to be consistent.

You all do realize that it is harder to ref when the teams aren't very good. If the refs called every foul and every walk or turnover a game would take 1:45 to play. Then everyone would be saying that the refs need to let the players decide the game.

  • Author

Have you ever walked out of a game and said, "Not one single call I question tonight?" Heck, have you ever watched one quarter of basketball and felt there wasn't one single call that was questionable? Basketball is fast moving, a lot of contact and subjectivity involved non stop. My point is, unless there is something absolutely blatant it is pointless to complain about officiating and takes away from other good points that can be discussed.

Have you ever walked out of a game and said, "Not one single call I question tonight?" Heck, have you ever watched one quarter of basketball and felt there wasn't one single call that was questionable? Basketball is fast moving, a lot of contact and subjectivity involved non stop. My point is, unless there is something absolutely blatant it is pointless to complain about officiating and takes away from other good points that can be discussed.

 

This brings to mind the Trinity/ Madison Central game last year at the Joe B Hall classic. There was LOTS of discussion on a certain call. Heck we even had a video posted of. Without this discussion, others could not have gotten a true sense of what happened in the game. This is one time I think it was necessary to bring in a refs call or lack of one.

It is a tough job and I would not want to do it. I think a better question would be, have we seen better quality games from officials since they have gone to a 3 official crew? .

 

3 is better than 2 overall. Of course it depends on who the 3 are. 3 catches a lot that 2 cannot see that fans can see.

3 is better than 2 overall. Of course it depends on who the 3 are. 3 catches a lot that 2 cannot see that fans can see.

Often my problem with 3 is that they get territorial. In a recent game a response from an official to our coach's question of "Didn't you see that?" was: "I agree with you but it was the baseline official's call."

Often my problem with 3 is that they get territorial. In a recent game a response from an official to our coach's question of "Didn't you see that?" was: "I agree with you but it was the baseline official's call."

 

First off that official should turn in his whistle for throwing his partner under the bus.

 

Secondly, he didn't have the same view as the official whose territory it was in so it doesn't mean he was right.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.