Ashland's Salow commits to Kentucky

LRCW

ASHLAND — Logan Salow has always been a University of Kentucky sports fan.

When presented with an opportunity which entailed his future in baseball, he had to separate himself from that.

“I thought about it,” Salow said. “I had to get past how cool the idea was.”

Ultimately, though, it was too consistent with his dream plan for him to pass up, so Salow announced his verbal commitment to play for Kentucky on Tuesday.

UK coaches offered the Ashland senior pitcher a preferred walk-on spot, which doesn’t involve any athletic scholarship money. However, it does guarantee him a spot on the team for his freshman year.

The 6-foot left-hander was excellent in his junior season, tallying 120 strikeouts in 56 2/3 innings pitched. He also compiled a 1.11 earned run average and issued just 31 walks.

Also the Tomcats’ leadoff hitter and center fielder, Salow showed great range and a dependable glove defensively, while hitting .345 and scoring 37 times offensively.

Salow was voted The Independent’s All-Area Player of the Year by 16th Region coaches before the helped lead the Tomcats to their first region title since 2004, and then to the state quarterfinal round.

This past summer, Salow played in a junior All-Star game in Lexington, which is where Kentucky assistant coach Brian Green first saw him. Green was in attendance when Salow, a member of Ashland Post 76’s team, fanned 17 batters in six innings during the district tournament in Shelbyville.

“The process went pretty fast fromthere,” Salow said. He visited UK shortly thereafter, and coaches didn’t take long to extend him a preferred walk-on offer.

“I wanted to jump on it right away,” Salow said. “But the money issue was the biggest. Hopefully I can get some academic money.”

Salow commits to be a Cat » Local Sports » Daily Independent (Ashland, KY)

Congrats to a great young man and a superb athlete. His hard work in the classroom and on the field have allowed him to reach his goal. There will be those that doubt his ability to play at that level, I hope he uses those folks and their comments as motivation to succeed. I am a fan.