Georgetown College to NCAA Divison 2?

D-Rob

I know Georgetown has been planning on upgrading the gym. They even have a picture of the renovated gym hanging in the gym right now. The only problem would be seating as I'm not sure the gym holds 1,000 now.

D1 transfers can play immediately at D2 as long as they qualify academically. Depending on the how the school interpets scholarships....state schools have state limitations...D2 can have 10 scholarships that they can divvy up and combine with academic scholarships to fund their program. (What I mean by that is some state schools in some states fund a scholarship at the value of in-state tuition, thus funds have to be found to fund an out-of-state player.) I don't know what Georgetown did as an NAIA school as far as scholarships. As far as the gym, there are a lot of D2 programs who have less than stellar accomodations....however, D2 is about being competitive while being financially viable. It's hard to fund a 9,000 seat arena with average draws less than 1,000. As far as recruiting, I think there are some players who will consider Georgetown who would not have before.

I know Georgetown has been planning on upgrading the gym. They even have a picture of the renovated gym hanging in the gym right now. The only problem would be seating as I'm not sure the gym holds 1,000 now.

That is what I was thinking. The article that I found says it currently seats 2,500, which I find hard to believe.

Georgetown College - Facilities

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure NKU has had a lot more D-1 transfers over the 6-8 years than they have had JUCO players.

You are correct sir.

I mentioned it in my post as well, because I got the vibe there were some trying to subtly take a jab at NKU for reasons unknown. Laughable when we're talking about Georgetown basketball.

My favorite post in this thread, as I agree that Georgetown getting out of the NAIA is a good thing and the new conference you mentioned is the best fit.

Just to set the record straight on a few things. DII schools can accept DI transfers without any penalty to the athlete. So Georgetown would be in SOP on the DI transfer route. Go get em.

NKU did get some JUCO's over the year's, but they've had far more DI transfers recently than JUCO's. That seems to be a big deal to some of you.

NKU's facilities have improved greatly, but only in the last five to 10 years. They spent most of their time in DII with bad to worse facilities and it wasn't an issue, so it shouldn't be with GTown either.

My comparisions to NKU are intential as I think this move would fill a void NKU left by moving to DI (bad move).

The kicker in all of this will be what happens with football. Georgetown has proven a viable option for many local kids to continue playng collegiately. But, in NCAA DII, the conference tie in's are going to be tough. GLVC doesn't have it. I can't imagine the above listed conference will either. If they want a football tie-in they'll have to head south to find a conference is my guess.

Did I call it or what? lol. Without having heard anything about it until seeing it on here and talking to a former Gtown women's bball player that the GMAC would be the best fit for the team. She didnt say anything about it, I actually brought it up to her. lol. The reason why I had said they would be a great fit is because of school size and what the conference schools' institutional standards were. Gtown will be a great fit in the conference and have a couple fairly close rivals since it will be somewhat centrally located due to one conference school being in the Cleveland, Ohio, area and another in Nashville, Tenn.

I would also like to throw this prediction out there that the Tigers will be an affiliate member of the Great Lakes Valley Conference in football only (I say this because there are three members of the GMAC that will be affiliate members of the GLVC in football). The GLVC is adding football as a conference-sponsored sport beginning this fall. I am going to link an article from the GLVC's website pertaining to the conference's in-conference schedule.

For those of you interested in who will be in the GLVC for football, here is the list:

McKendree University, Missouri S&T, Quincy University, Saint Joseph’s College, University of Indianapolis, William Jewell College and associate members Central State University, Kentucky Wesleyan College and Urbana University.

Great Lakes Valley Conference - GLVC Announces Football Schedules for 2012 & 2013 Seasons