Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New Era In Whitley County Colonel Football

Featured Replies

I hate the fact that we are discussing this issue but, it looks like the rumors have been right all along. I am still hoping that Gentry stays but, all indicators are he is not. He should not have called a meeting with his players to them he was staying, if indeed, he knew he was leaving. It is one thing to take another job, it is another thing to stand and lie to 80 kids that are looking at you as a role model. If it turns out that Coach Gentry did call his kids together just to tell them a lie, he is not the quality of person Whitley needed any way.

 

Candidates for the next coach:

 

Only three people were interviewed in January besides Gentry:

 

1) BJ Lawson- BJ has taken a head coaching position in the Nashville area.

 

2) Al Yasidro- Al is a likely candidate. He has been both a defensive and offensive coordinator at Whitley in the past. Al knows the kids and is familiar with both the pros and the cons of the job.

 

3) Jim Black- Jim has Whitley roots and has been successful at Williamsburg. I am not sure Jim wants the job. Unless the job pays a lot more than the Williamsburg job, Jim would probably be much happier where he is. There are some tremendous expectations at Whitley and they are in a very tough district and an even tougher region. Unless there is a realignment Whitley's chances of winning their region are very slim. At Williamsburg, Black has a chance to win the region every year.

 

4) My personal choice would be Mike Campbell. Mike should have never lost his job in the first place. He is flat out a good coach. Infact, there is little argument, that Coach Campbell is by far the best coach Whitley has ever had in any sport. His teams are always competitive and when he has talent his teams are outstanding. He has developed a very good junior and senior class. I hope he has the opportunity to coach the kids he has developed. The welfare of the players is much more important than petty political issues. Lonnie should do the right thing, by the kids, and rehire Coach Campbell.

  • Replies 299
  • Views 31.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4) My personal choice would be Mike Campbell. Mike should have never lost his job in the first place. He is flat out a good coach. Infact, there is little argument, that Coach Campbell is by far the best coach Whitley has ever had in any sport. His teams are always competitive and when he has talent his teams are outstanding. He has developed a very good junior and senior class. I hope he has the opportunity to coach the kids he has developed. The welfare of the players is much more important than petty political issues. Lonnie should do the right thing, by the kids, and rehire Coach Campbell.

 

Amen!

Amen!

 

While I agree that I hated to see Whitley let Coach Campbell go as he did a wonderful job at Whitley, especially compared to what the program was before he took over, this would make for a very strange situation at Whitley. I believe the kids would like having Coach Campbell back, and he did get the Colonels back in the playoffs again in 2005, I just wonder if this would make for a very tense scene knowing that the higher ups are still looking for another coach? I think what wasn't taken into account was the the other district teams had all improved drastically over the past 4-6 years (North Laurel, South Laurel, JCHS when they were in the district, now the addition of Lincoln County). I think IF Coach Gentry is indeed leaving then Campbell is the best choice.

I would imagine that if the so called higher ups did indeed re-hire Campbell back then I would also imagine that it would be for the right reasons and that would be that it was a mistake in the first place the let him go. Hence, there wouldn't be any search for a new applicant because the higher ups would have admitted to making a mistake by re-hiring him. Hopefully, all that would allow for both parties to be on an agreement and a positive and the best resolution would be resolved.

If Campbell is rehired, Whitley will average 8 to 9 wins over the next four years. Talent is cyclic even in big schools like Whitley. Next years senior class is above average and next years junior class is very good. Whitley will start experienced juniors and seniors at nearly every position. There are four or five quality players in the sophmore class. Three of these sophmores will likely start but they are held back 17 year old sophmores that have played football since Kindergarten. Next years 9th grade is one of the best classes in school history (loaded with big athletic linemen). For the first time in five years, Whitley is going to have the athletes to play Mike Campbell style (smash mouth) If given the chance Coach Campbell will lead this bunch to a couple of district championships.

LIke alot of people who think they know more than they do....you don't. May 16th is the last day of school at Whitley.

Since you know it all, I would expect you would understand sarcasm and humour, obviously this was over your head. As far as what I know, when you get things directly from the horse's mouth its usually reliable. I do not post on hearsay and never have, and as my pappy used to say its better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are ignorant, than to open it and reveal your ignorance. Hence I only post what I firmly believe and usually know to be true.

I have to think if Volfan heard from Coach Gentry himself, then this might be very reliable information.

I have to think if Volfan heard from Coach Gentry himself, then this might be very reliable information.

 

I don't ever recall Volfan blowing any smoke in the past, so I would take what he says to the bank.

So is this story all but official or not. I am hearing he has already told the powers at be, so what would the wait be. I know that next Monday is the last day of school. Does that really make a difference.

 

Is it really true that he told the team in a meeting only a few weeks ago that all the rumors were false and he was staying put. Wow. Sounds like Whitley should be glad he is going that is not the type of character of a coach I would want my son playing for.

This is unconfirmed, however late last night I heard (grapevine only so I can't take it to the bank, but since this is such a hot topic I'll post) that there may be re-consideration on the head coaches part. If we get the opportunity to dig a bit today we'll let you all know. Beginning to wonder if this isn't becoming a soap opera or a new reality series made for t.v.....lol!

I hope this gets resolved soon for the good of the kids. If there were no truth behind it at all, I would hope that Coach Gentry or the admins would tell the media 'He is staying put, the rumors are unfounded' to end all the speculation. For the kids, get the matter settled.

I hope this gets resolved soon for the good of the kids. If there were no truth behind it at all, I would hope that Coach Gentry or the admins would tell the media 'He is staying put, the rumors are unfounded' to end all the speculation. For the kids, get the matter settled.

Mountain thunder, as always you are direct and to the point. I always appreciate your posts, and 99 times out of 100 agree. Yes, lets get this settled so the kids (who really are the important people in this whole matter) can get settled and plan on the upcoming season. Whitley may have a few seniors with college aspirations, and believe me, from my own life experience as a player and coach, nothing helps a kid get on to college ball like a head coach's reccomendation.

Mountain thunder, as always you are direct and to the point. I always appreciate your posts, and 99 times out of 100 agree. Yes, lets get this settled so the kids (who really are the important people in this whole matter) can get settled and plan on the upcoming season. Whitley may have a few seniors with college aspirations, and believe me, from my own life experience as a player and coach, nothing helps a kid get on to college ball like a head coach's reccomendation.

 

 

The Truth is that Coach Gentry has handled the entire situation poorly. He should have been a man and stood up and stated his intentions. He has had plenty of opportunity to do so.

 

The Truth is also that Coach Campbell will never again coach at Whitley County. He did a great job, but that horse has left the barn. There's no getting it back in.

 

The Truth is also that Whitley's program will be fine. Lots of kids, lots of support. Maybe they take a small step backward this year - but in the long run they will be okay.

The Truth is that Coach Gentry has handled the entire situation poorly. He should have been a man and stood up and stated his intentions. He has had plenty of opportunity to do so.

 

The Truth is also that Coach Campbell will never again coach at Whitley County. He did a great job, but that horse has left the barn. There's no getting it back in.

 

The Truth is also that Whitley's program will be fine. Lots of kids, lots of support. Maybe they take a small step backward this year - but in the long run they will be okay.

You always hope so, for the players sake.

Mountain thunder, as always you are direct and to the point. I always appreciate your posts, and 99 times out of 100 agree. Yes, lets get this settled so the kids (who really are the important people in this whole matter) can get settled and plan on the upcoming season. Whitley may have a few seniors with college aspirations, and believe me, from my own life experience as a player and coach, nothing helps a kid get on to college ball like a head coach's reccomendation.

 

:thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.