Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New Era In Whitley County Colonel Football

Featured Replies

:thumb:

 

Don't get me wrong, North Laurel played a much tougher schedule this season (on the whole) than they have played in years facing ranked teams all on serious upswings (eg. Mercer, Leslie, and Madison Southern) in three of their 4 non district games. In years past, to build up the wins they were playing more weak teams than strong ones (except for Corbin, their nondistrict schedule was much weaker as recent as 2004). But with no 'go to guy' on offense, with Blair graduated and Cessna injured, they were probably one big play guy away from being a much better team on offense while their defense (except for one game) was never in question and very solid. Put Rider (Whitley) or Calhoun (Lincoln) on that NL team, and I truly believe they are in the playoffs instead of Whitley.

 

But Whitley did the right thing by beefing up their schedule. It made the difference having already been in tough games all season long.

  • Replies 299
  • Views 31.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is the new coach coming along? Has he started weight lifting? How many kids does he have? Anything new going on?

Well.............from what I have heard they have 67 in the weight room....Somebody said that off of last years roster there was 47 returning. That is aslo with the 8th grade.

WOW. If they do indeed have 67 lifting weights, that would be phenominal considering that the last few years they've been fortunate to have 50 on the team. I wonder why there are so many as compared to the number that were on last year's team.

 

Starting the year with close to 70 kids would be a very positive sign for the new coach and the Red Storm program.

Well................If you would have read the post . It states that Whitley had 47 coming back on the roster and that this included the 8th grade at 20. Do the math...............Whitley has a lot of talent on the rise .........................

Well................If you would have read the post . It states that Whitley had 47 coming back on the roster and that this included the 8th grade at 20. Do the math...............Whitley has a lot of talent on the rise .........................

 

 

Numbers are important....67 is a good number, but is the quality there?

Well................If you would have read the post . It states that Whitley had 47 coming back on the roster and that this included the 8th grade at 20. Do the math...............Whitley has a lot of talent on the rise .........................

 

 

I read your post. They always seem to have 45 or so left on the roster after the end of the year, so that's nothing new this year. But only about 35 of those seem to play the next year (I'm not sure what happens to the others), add in 20 8th graders and you get the 55 they've been having.

 

 

 

Again, I would ask the question - why do they have so many out now? It just seems strange, when you think that they normally only have 50 or so on the team.

 

If they can keep them out this year, good for them.

I believe that the numbers will be a little bit up from what Campbell was use to. This will be good for the Storm. Those are great numbers for weight room, but the real test will come in July and August.

1. kids will quit the team

2.grades

3.committment

4.anytime that you get a new coach you will get the ones that have tried to play under the old coach and will try again..........

5.whitley is a growing school district and numbers should be better...

6. Sounds like the way that you are talking truth it sounds like that Campbell didn't want anybody to play ............

7. I know better

8. small schools go in cycles and whitleys is on the rise.

1. kids will quit the team

2.grades

3.committment

4.anytime that you get a new coach you will get the ones that have tried to play under the old coach and will try again..........

5.whitley is a growing school district and numbers should be better...

6. Sounds like the way that you are talking truth it sounds like that Campbell didn't want anybody to play ............

7. I know better

8. small schools go in cycles and whitleys is on the rise.

 

 

 

Don't try and twist what I say. How you could suggest that I sayd that Campbell didn't want people to play is crazy.

 

Why does everything have to be so confrontational. There's no reason that Whitley fans (like me) can't be appreciative of the success of the old guard (Campbell) and look forward to the new staff.

 

 

I'd agree with the rest of your post. The one question I still have, is why so many out now. I'm curious how many normally participated in the Storm's off season weight program?

Several times in this thread the term "Red Storm" Has been used in discussing Whitley's program. It is my understanding this term is to be eliminated and that "Colonels" is to be the only official and unofficial team name to be used. Anyone else hearing this? Is this a way of "cleansing" the old guard and setting forth on a new foot at Whitley?

From what I have heard you are right Volfan782000.....The way that I understand it .Whitley has always been the Colonels and the red storm was another nickname, such as Lynn Camp are the Wildcats, but they use the nickname hitmen in some of there advertising (such as tshirts)

I do see the Storm numbers improving, but I really dont see a dramatic change coming. I agree with judgeone, new kids will come out and these are the ones that the new coach will likely be able to keep on board. I feel that any kid that quit once, for what ever the reason, is likely to do the same. Thats why it is hard to tell how many kids the new coach can count on. I think that you need to look at the number on the roster at the end of the year, and add the upcoming freshmen and that will give a good ideal of what the numbers will be like next season.

 

As for the Red Storm being dropped, well I think that is sad. That is one thing that seperated the football players from the rest of the student body and made us feel special.

I will always have Colonel blood in me, but not everybody could feel the Storm.

Why did the former staff feel like they had to distance themselves from the rest of the sports programs at the school by using Red Storm? Why should they. If they are all colonels, then shouldn't the football team be Colonels also? I don't see it as washing away the old staff but uniting all the school's sports programs, which is the way it should be. I think it is different from Lynn Camp, everything including uniforms had Red Storm on it, and even newspapers referred to them as the Red Storm. Maybe by bringing back the Colonels to the football program, they can get some Colonel basketball, and baseball players to join the team. If they are Colonels in one sport they may want to be Colonels in all sports. If that happens you may see some football players start to play other sports which really did not happen too much in the past.

 

In the long run this is a very minor point, and it woud appear after a 4-7 record and a new staff in place there would be more pressing matters to attend to. I think people are just getting too picky and worried about the legacy of the former coach, not looking to the future. Coach Mike Campbell did what many consider impossible at Whitley...that was to build a solid program which was respected across not only southeastern Kentucky but the whole state, but now it is time to move on.

 

As my Daddy used to say....call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner.

 

Why does everything have to be so confrontational. There's no reason that Whitley fans (like me) can't be appreciative of the success of the old guard (Campbell) and look forward to the new staff.

 

 

 

It appears that everyone is trying to belittle everything the new staff is doing positive, and blowup the former staff. It is time to move on, with no disrespect to the former staff, Whitley fans just need to get behind the program and move on.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.