Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New Era In Whitley County Colonel Football

Featured Replies

I hope the new staff has all the success in the world, the new coach may not have anything to do with the dropping of the nickname. I am former member of the football program. The "Red Storm" is part of proud Whitley County Football tradition. I should have stated that I was sad to see the name dropped because it means a lot to me and former football players. I know that is selfish, and apologize for it.

 

Coach Campbell never discourage anyone who was committed to come out for football, and he never discouraged any players from playing other sports. The Storm was unique and different and means alot to us who were a part of it. Anybody in the High School could play football, but you had to play to be part of the Storm.

 

Maybe the dropping of the name was a way to get further away from the past that must seem so dismal. It might be another slap in Coach Campbell's face, I dont know. I do know Whitley County only has a program because of what Campbell did there and the only tradition they have had has been under Campbell.I never saw it as bleak as some, to warrant some of the changes that have been made, but what do I know. I do know that the nickname of the Red Storm will always be special to me.

 

Football programs are built and stand the test time because of tradition.

  • Replies 299
  • Views 31.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Stated....

 

I was only stating my opinion from the outside looking in. If more people felt that way about their sports programs at all the schools, all the kids across this state would be better off.

 

Although I do agree that it is unique, when it seperates you from the rest of the school that is not a good thing......School names and mascots are a part of that tradition and to change it was letting go of some of that tradition and some of the former players may have felt the way you feel right now. Remember they were Colonels (which was the tradition prior to the Red Storm) before they were a weather system.

A weather system or not Apex, those kids respected there tradition and loved the red storm identity. They will always be colonels. I think the whole thing just took off. No one ask the newspapers, radio or anyone else to actually refer to the team as the "red storm". As for the kids being separated , I think not...........whitley had 12 kids play bball last year and around 16 to play baseball.....these are the ones that were also on the football team.As far as belittling the staff (I think not) From what I have heard the new coach was belittling the old staff and Campbell for the last two years.

As far as belittling the staff (I think not) From what I have heard the new coach was belittling the old staff and Campbell for the last two years.

 

Is this the reason that Coach Adams and some of the other coaches won't be back? Who will be the asst. coaches next year?

Move on. Get over it. There's a new sheriff in town and he deserves his own deputies. If he wants to hold over some of the old coaches, that's great. If not, it should be his choice. Campbell was allowed to get ths assistants he wanted, the new coach should have the same opportunity.

 

 

jugde one you need to get over the jabs at the new staff. If you can't be a Red Storm supporter any longer, that's too bad. You're the one who will miss out. There's been NO ONE on here who has said anything negative about the former coach, I don't understand why you need to keep taking swipes at the new one. It just seems petty and small. Move on.

4chs...the reason that coach adams won't be on the sideline next year is that he was told that he wouldn't be a position coach. Adams was very respected at Corbin and at Whitley he decided that he would give it up.

 

Truth..........I know most of the staff (I think ) at WCHS. Remember it's not the Red Storm (the weather system as Apex called it) Colonels have always been the official name at Whitley.Truth the truth hurts sometimes as for Campbell getting released or whatever that is far gone(I could care less) but I can tell this for a fact that he was undermining the man long before the season started and after it began. The reason I know this for a fact is because he made some of these remarks (shrewd statements to myself).I wish the Red Storm excuse me Colonels well.I think that Murdock knows football and with the talent that he has walked into , I think that the Colonels will fly hi............I am a serious fan ,I just don't appreciate the way that he went about it and i would think that some of the assistant coaches wouldn't appreciate it as well.

I keep reading these jabs at the new coach and have to wonder. Doesn't the superintendent have to do the hiring? How can an outsider undermine something as much as the new coach is getting accused of? Sometimes jobs,

marriages, relationships just get to the point of diminished returns and it's time for change. Maybe that was the situation here. I have left positions during my life where I felt I had done all I could and looked for new and fresh opportunities...isn't it possible that those in the decision making process could have said ok this is as far as it can be taken and let's look at a fresh situation and different energy? I wish the former coach well, and will watch expectantly to see how the new coach fares. I guess bottom line to me is that someone cares about the kids and gives them an opportunity to be successful.

4chs...the reason that coach adams won't be on the sideline next year is that he was told that he wouldn't be a position coach. Adams was very respected at Corbin and at Whitley he decided that he would give it up.

 

Truth..........I know most of the staff (I think ) at WCHS. Remember it's not the Red Storm (the weather system as Apex called it) Colonels have always been the official name at Whitley.Truth the truth hurts sometimes as for Campbell getting released or whatever that is far gone(I could care less) but I can tell this for a fact that he was undermining the man long before the season started and after it began. The reason I know this for a fact is because he made some of these remarks (shrewd statements to myself).I wish the Red Storm excuse me Colonels well.I think that Murdock knows football and with the talent that he has walked into , I think that the Colonels will fly hi............I am a serious fan ,I just don't appreciate the way that he went about it and i would think that some of the assistant coaches wouldn't appreciate it as well.

 

 

So what you are saying is that you helped bring down the old coach by listening to a guy make (shrewd?) remarks about him, are you in the decision making process. I don't believe that he did it,why would he, I don't know him but at best this was a lateral move for him, college to high school. As far as I have read on here only two coaches were not retained. I think that you will find that is a fair number when compaired with other situations at other schools. Have you ever considered that the old coaches might like the changes? I agree, just let it go, I don't think anyone here has said it was handled perfectly and you have stated over and over and over and over and over that you did not like how it happened but it has happened and we are not going to change it here. Lets just hear some news about the program.

 

About the name change, Campbell did it, right? So why can't the new coach change it back?

Guys, let this thing go and allow the new coach to do his job. Please let this thread die.

Every one jumping on judgeone, for saying what he knows or feels. I dont like the way Campbell was treated, if was done in a underhanded way then shame on who ever is responsible. I know what goes around comes around in some time and fashion. I hate that Cotton Adams was forced out, but he is a true survivor and will rebound because of his character. I will miss the "Red Storm" because it is and will always be a part of me and numerous players that were coached by Mike Campbell.

 

So the New Era starts and everyone is in anticipation. We have more kids in the weight room but that does not always lead to more on the field. We know we were going to be good. What type of offense, will see the ball in the air more. Is it strictly going to option and play action? Will the Colonels be able to build a defense that was as strong as the one in 2000 and 2001 seasons? Who will be the new coaches and what will they coach?

As far as jabs at the new coach...............these are facts whether you believe or not would be up to you.As far as bringing down the old coach (things happen) in the coaching profession. I have stated time and time again that murdock knows the game of football.You guys make statements on here just as I have . This is a opinionated forum that is the purpose for the thread and this web-site. .Nothing has been stated that has been out of line.From what I have heard # are up and things look good. Esidro told me that nobody actually changed the name of to the red storm it had always been the colonels, but redstorm was used .Good luck to you all and the new coach,,,,,,,,,,,,,but beware of the storm

One more thing.............I am sorry VolFan that you got a divorce

 

Look at it this way..........Behind the Guru this has been the #1 looked at post.I just wish that Thunderstruck and Mexican Bob would have stayed around for all the thunder. This is judgeone signing off. Have a good day..................

I vote this thread is closed. Let's get on with it. Heard enough negative comments. Let us see how Whitley Co does in 2006 and take it from there. Coach Campbell did an outstanding job as the coach but he is gone. Let us see how Gentry will do. Like I said, heard enough. Nothing accomplished.

I hated to see Coach Campbell leave. He is a good guy who did a very good job at Whitley, especially, if you remember where the program was when he took over. But I also have to wish the new coach good luck.

One more thing.............I am sorry VolFan that you got a divorce

 

Look at it this way..........Behind the Guru this has been the #1 looked at post.I just wish that Thunderstruck and Mexican Bob would have stayed around for all the thunder. This is judgeone signing off. Have a good day..................

Sorry you didn't read or understand my post judgeone. I have never had a divorce but was alluding to the fact that life happens, change occurs, and sour grapes help no one. Yes this is a site for opinions to be expressed, some negative and some positive. As I know both Campbell and Gentry fairly well I have attempted to be positive in relation to both. To say That Gentry has enough pull to undermine is ridiculous. To say Campbell did a poor job is ridiculous as well. And in knowing Mr. Anderson he will make his own decisions based on his feelings as to how his school system can be best served. As I was trying to say, life happens, lets move on.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.