Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New Era In Whitley County Colonel Football

Featured Replies

On a somewhat related subject, where is Ladale Rider going to college? Is anyone recruiting him?

  • Replies 299
  • Views 31.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
One more thing.............I am sorry VolFan that you got a divorce

 

Look at it this way..........Behind the Guru this has been the #1 looked at post.I just wish that Thunderstruck and Mexican Bob would have stayed around for all the thunder. This is judgeone signing off. Have a good day..................

 

 

After this thread went south I stopped reading or posting. I am a close personal friend of Mike Campbell and there was nobody sadder to see him go than my whole family. Mike Campbell built a program at Whiltey where only a team was there when he arrived. He had some great teams and individuals. He grew as a coach and as a person as the program grew. He gave of himself to see that the program continued to grow. He coached harder this past season than I had seen him coach and NOBODY wanted Whitley County's Red Storm to have success more than Mike Campbell. I look forward to seeing Benji have great success in the future.

 

I was sorry to see everthing that has been posted here about the new coach and am sure that Mike Campbell would not have approved. I wish Coach Gentry the best of Luck as he takes over the program. I will continue to support the program as I have done in the past and look forward to Whitley having great success in the future also.

 

As the thread states this is a new era in Whitley County Football and I was looking forward to seeing positive things about the program here, but...........

 

With that in mind....

 

This will be Thunderstruck's last post

 

Peace Out!

After this thread went south I stopped reading or posting. I am a close personal friend of Mike Campbell and there was nobody sadder to see him go than my whole family. Mike Campbell built a program at Whiltey where only a team was there when he arrived. He had some great teams and individuals. He grew as a coach and as a person as the program grew. He gave of himself to see that the program continued to grow. He coached harder this past season than I had seen him coach and NOBODY wanted Whitley County's Red Storm to have success more than Mike Campbell. I look forward to seeing Benji have great success in the future.

 

I was sorry to see everthing that has been posted here about the new coach and am sure that Mike Campbell would not have approved. I wish Coach Gentry the best of Luck as he takes over the program. I will continue to support the program as I have done in the past and look forward to Whitley having great success in the future also.

 

As the thread states this is a new era in Whitley County Football and I was looking forward to seeing positive things about the program here, but...........

 

With that in mind....

 

This will be Thunderstruck's last post

 

Peace Out!

 

This is a wonderful post. I wish that everyone could have realized what all Coach Campbell had done for the program and wished the new coach good luck. Instead, many took the low road. You, my friend, did not. Don't stop posting on account of those who only wish to post negative comments for whatever reason. We need more posters like you.

This is a wonderful post. I wish that everyone could have realized what all Coach Campbell had done for the program and wished the new coach good luck. Instead, many took the low road. You, my friend, did not. Don't stop posting on account of those who only wish to post negative comments for whatever reason. We need more posters like you.

I am an Alumni Class of 77. I do not live in Whitley Co. and haven't since 77 but I have returned just about every year for one or two games. Lets give credit to Coach Campbell. He led the colonels to a heck of alot of wins and some great seasons. Lets stop to say thanks. Now it is time to get the new leader and back the Colonels for mamy more exciting seasons.

Love to all in Whitley

Anything going on at Whitley?

4chs

 

I have previously posted this; but, here is my spring practice report.

 

I managed to get over and watch 5 or 6 of the practices. I think Gentry is going to be a good one. He is very hands on and he appears to love teaching the game of football. Coach Gentry spent the majority of his time teaching the fundamentals of his option attack. He seems to have a great understanding of what he wants. I was very impressed with his attention to the technical details of his offense. His version of the option appears to be designed to mix the run and pass on about a 75% to 25% ratio using a number of receivers on the pass routes. I think next years offense is going to be explosive. During the srimmage portion of practice, Coach Gentry was in every huddle and every pile up. As I said very hands on. He also seems to have a good repore with the kids. Things looked good during spring practice.

 

Standout players from Spring Practice:

 

Mark Teague (a junior to be) is the new quarterback. Mark has primarily been a runnning back in the past. He is a natural option quarterback. He looks like he is going to be special. He runs a legit 4.5, has good size (5-11, 180), great vision and surprising a cannon of an arm. Mark at QB, has been the surprise of the spring at Whitley.

 

Full Back: Cody Jeffries (5-11, 195) very fast and very powerful, Cody is going to have a big senior year. In addition to being a fine full back, Cody is a stud on the defensive side of the ball. He has a nose for the ball and there a huge thud on every tackle that he makes. Cody is a can't miss college prospect (Cumberland, Georgetown, and Eastern should be tracking this young man);

 

Inside linebacker: Shawn Baird (jr. to be) 6-5, 245, Shawn is a physical specimen, runs well and is an intimidating hitter. Shawn is a legitimate D-1 prospect and could be a legitimate blue chip prospect. If Shawn dedicated himself in the weight room over the next two years, he could become one of the top two or three players in the state. Shawn has a great football frame, good feet, surprising speed, and he loves contact. Shawn could put another 30 pounds on his frame without sacrificing any mobility. Its up to Shawn, but based on God-given ability, he could become the best player to ever suit up at Whitley County.

 

Offensive Lineman Shawn Monhollan (Sr. to be): Shawn does not have tremendous size (6-1 235) but he is very smart, strong and quick. He is going to be awesome in the new offense. He gets off the line in a hurry, brings a load and sticks to his blocks. Shawn is going to make a fine NAIA lineman.

 

This is going to be the best Whitley Team in at least ten years. They are bigger and faster than they have been in several years. They are very experienced. Juniors and seniors will start at nearly every position. Three sophmores will compete for starting positions but all three will be 17 year old sophmores. This is going to be a big, fast, mature team. It is going to be an exciting year at Colonel Stadium.

 

By the way, I hear Mike Campbell (freshman at Corbin) is becoming a beast in the weight room. I have had the pleasure to coach Mike in the past. He is one of the toughest, hardest nosed kids, I have ever coached. He has always been quick for his size. If he is up in the 300 pound bench club, he should be a terrific player this year. What do you think?

 

By the way, Coach Deaton is now on campus working a couple of evenings per week. I think he is going to be a very successful.

4chs

 

I have previously posted this; but, here is my spring practice report.

 

I managed to get over and watch 5 or 6 of the practices. I think Gentry is going to be a good one. He is very hands on and he appears to love teaching the game of football. Coach Gentry spent the majority of his time teaching the fundamentals of his option attack. He seems to have a great understanding of what he wants. I was very impressed with his attention to the technical details of his offense. His version of the option appears to be designed to mix the run and pass on about a 75% to 25% ratio using a number of receivers on the pass routes. I think next years offense is going to be explosive. During the srimmage portion of practice, Coach Gentry was in every huddle and every pile up. As I said very hands on. He also seems to have a good repore with the kids. Things looked good during spring practice.

 

Standout players from Spring Practice:

 

Mark Teague (a junior to be) is the new quarterback. Mark has primarily been a runnning back in the past. He is a natural option quarterback. He looks like he is going to be special. He runs a legit 4.5, has good size (5-11, 180), great vision and surprising a cannon of an arm. Mark at QB, has been the surprise of the spring at Whitley.

 

Full Back: Cody Jeffries (5-11, 195) very fast and very powerful, Cody is going to have a big senior year. In addition to being a fine full back, Cody is a stud on the defensive side of the ball. He has a nose for the ball and there a huge thud on every tackle that he makes. Cody is a can't miss college prospect (Cumberland, Georgetown, and Eastern should be tracking this young man);

 

Inside linebacker: Shawn Baird (jr. to be) 6-5, 245, Shawn is a physical specimen, runs well and is an intimidating hitter. Shawn is a legitimate D-1 prospect and could be a legitimate blue chip prospect. If Shawn dedicated himself in the weight room over the next two years, he could become one of the top two or three players in the state. Shawn has a great football frame, good feet, surprising speed, and he loves contact. Shawn could put another 30 pounds on his frame without sacrificing any mobility. Its up to Shawn, but based on God-given ability, he could become the best player to ever suit up at Whitley County.

 

Offensive Lineman Shawn Monhollan (Sr. to be): Shawn does not have tremendous size (6-1 235) but he is very smart, strong and quick. He is going to be awesome in the new offense. He gets off the line in a hurry, brings a load and sticks to his blocks. Shawn is going to make a fine NAIA lineman.

 

This is going to be the best Whitley Team in at least ten years. They are bigger and faster than they have been in several years. They are very experienced. Juniors and seniors will start at nearly every position. Three sophmores will compete for starting positions but all three will be 17 year old sophmores. This is going to be a big, fast, mature team. It is going to be an exciting year at Colonel Stadium.

 

By the way, I hear Mike Campbell (freshman at Corbin) is becoming a beast in the weight room. I have had the pleasure to coach Mike in the past. He is one of the toughest, hardest nosed kids, I have ever coached. He has always been quick for his size. If he is up in the 300 pound bench club, he should be a terrific player this year. What do you think?

 

By the way, Coach Deaton is now on campus working a couple of evenings per week. I think he is going to be a very successful.

 

If Teague is the QB, where will McCumbers play?

I do not know the answer to this question. My guess is that he will not play football at Whitley next year. He did not participate in spring practice. He may be satisfied playing basketball and baseball or he may test the transfer waters. He is an excellant pocket quarterback and would fit Jim Black's offense as well as anyone around. He will be driving next year and the Burg would be a shorter comute. Jordan is too good to sit the bench but, he is not really an option QB (Teague is a lot faster and out weighs him 30 or 40 pounds). If I were involved with Williamsburg Athletics, I would probably give him a call and test his interest.

 

4chs please comment on:

 

By the way, I hear Mike Campbell (freshman at Corbin) is becoming a beast in the weight room. I have had the pleasure to coach Mike in the past. He is one of the toughest, hardest nosed kids, I have ever coached. He has always been quick for his size. If he is up in the 300 pound bench club, he should be a terrific player this year. What do you think?

 

Coach Deaton is now on campus working a couple of evenings per week. I think he is going to be very successful. Any predictions on next years record? I am going to prognosticate 18-9 or better. He will at least double the number of wins Whitley has had in either of the past two seasons. The man will not tolerate losing.

I do not know the answer to this question. My guess is that he will not play football at Whitley next year. He did not participate in spring practice. He may be satisfied playing basketball and baseball or he may test the transfer waters. He is an excellant pocket quarterback and would fit Jim Black's offense as well as anyone around. He will be driving next year and the Burg would be a shorter comute. Jordan is too good to sit the bench but, he is not really an option QB (Teague is a lot faster and out weighs him 30 or 40 pounds). If I were involved with Williamsburg Athletics, I would probably give him a call and test his interest.

 

Wouldn't he have to sit out a year or did he move into the W'burg district? I like this kid and think he has a lot of potential as a QB. Not very fast, but has an accurate arm and makes pretty good decisions for a young QB.

I agree with you, Jordan is a top notch kid (straight A student) and an excellant QB. I think that his mom's boy friend lives in the Williamsburg district (the boy friend was a super QB at Williamsburg 25 years ago). I believe the logistics could be worked out if Jordan is interested in a move. All of this is speculation on my part but, I would not be surprised to see him in orange next year. I just can not see Jordan sitting the bench (he is too good). On the other hand, I can not see him running the option for a 4A football team either (he is just too small to take the beating that comes with the option).

I agree with you, Jordan is a top notch kid (straight A student) and an excellant QB. I think that his mom's boy friend lives in the Williamsburg district (the boy friend was a super QB at Williamsburg 25 years ago). I believe the logistics could be worked out if Jordan is interested in a move. All of this is speculation on my part but, I would not be surprised to see him in orange next year. I just can not see Jordan sitting the bench (he is too good). On the other hand, I can not see him running the option for a 4A football team either (he is just too small to take the beating that comes with the option).

 

W'burg has a senior QB in Frazier so he would probably be learning the system behind him for 1 year anyway. Totally difrerent looks from those 2. Frazier looks like a fullback but sure can toss the pigskin.

Frazier, could play any position well. If McCumbers were at the Burg, I bet Jim Black would find a way to use them both effectively.

That is all Williamsburg needs is another QB, they always seem to have a good one with accouple of receivers to go along with him

4chs please comment on:

 

By the way, I hear Mike Campbell (freshman at Corbin) is becoming a beast in the weight room. I have had the pleasure to coach Mike in the past. He is one of the toughest, hardest nosed kids, I have ever coached. He has always been quick for his size. If he is up in the 300 pound bench club, he should be a terrific player this year. What do you think?

 

Michael was benching over 300 Lbs this winter and he will be a big-time player for the Hounds if he can stay healthy. The foot problem that he has had in the past flared up again at the beginning of basketball season, which led to a pin being placed in it, so time will tell if it is OK or not. He should start at LB and will also see time in the backfield if he is anywhere close to 100% healthy.

If the rumors are true...and where there is smoke there is usually fire...I expect to see Judgeone back on here feeding some of us crow and all I can say is pass the katsup.....

 

I guess it will be a new, new era in Whiltey County Football.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.