Top Coaches in the State

Billy Hicks has won at several schools, and if I remember correctly Scott County wasn't supposed to be quite in the thick of e-thing this year. Don't get me wrong, they were supposed to be very good, but a state finalist I think surprised quite a few people. Hicks teaches great D, does a wonderful job with their press/Run n jump, and are very sound offensively and fundamentally. I was impressed with Szabo down in Fort Myers even though they lost a couple of games. Then they came back and did what they should have done which was basically dominate the rest of the year except for the one loss to MC.

Billy Hicks has won at several schools, and if I remember correctly Scott County wasn't supposed to be quite in the thick of e-thing this year. Don't get me wrong, they were supposed to be very good, but a state finalist I think surprised quite a few people. Hicks teaches great D, does a wonderful job with their press/Run n jump, and are very sound offensively and fundamentally. I was impressed with Szabo down in Fort Myers even though they lost a couple of games. Then they came back and did what they should have done which was basically dominate the rest of the year except for the one loss to MC.

There's a lot of very good coaches in the state that will never be heard of because they will never have the material to win the big games with. Remember Bill Lee from Caneyville that brought that tiny school to the state tournament. He had to do a good job to get there. Heck, I can't coach a lick but I do believe I could have won with Trinity this year.

There's a lot of very good coaches in the state that will never be heard of because they will never have the material to win the big games with. Remember Bill Lee from Caneyville that brought that tiny school to the state tournament. He had to do a good job to get there. Heck, I can't coach a lick but I do believe I could have won with Trinity this year.

I remember that Caneyville team, fun team to watch.

Let's be honest- coaching is important, but great players win games and championships. Also, from year to year a coach might have a group of kids that are talented and have great team chemistry... and that team plays great and makes the coach look good. The very next year the same coach could have more talent and not do as well. Coaching has a lot to do with managing people and personalities, and their are a lot of coaches that can do this successfully-they just don't have the talent to make it to Rupp Arena (but they are still great coaches)!

Let's be honest- coaching is important, but great players win games and championships. Also, from year to year a coach might have a group of kids that are talented and have great team chemistry... and that team plays great and makes the coach look good. The very next year the same coach could have more talent and not do as well. Coaching has a lot to do with managing people and personalities, and their are a lot of coaches that can do this successfully-they just don't have the talent to make it to Rupp Arena (but they are still great coaches)!

I agree, thats good.

Here are a few other coaches I have been really impressed with over the past couple years. I know i am leaving out some really good coaches but these are the ones I have seen in person.

Humphrey at GRC

Noble at Buckhorn

Biggs at Ashland

Unseld at Warren Central

Hundley at Woodford County

Feldhaus at Russell County

Barr at Bullitt East

Messer at Clinton County

O'Hearn at Mason

Again I know i left off a lot of good coaches but i have not seen every team in the state play or play enough to say whether or not i believe they are a good coach. I agree with the comment someone had about great players win games but at the same time if those great players do not have good leadership from their coach they often do not reach their full potential.

IMO, three of the best in the state were in the 11th together with Hicks @ Scott County, Breeden @ Tates Creek, and Ligon @ Bryan Station. Some may argue with Ligon, but seeing what Station had before, during, and after his time there, its hard to argue with what he accomplished (especially given the fields in the 11th).

Here are my top 5 coaches in the Louisville area (in no particular order):

1) Dale Mabrey- has talent every year, but they are fundamentally sound offensively and defensively year after year after year!

2) Chris Renner - taylors his style to meet the strengths of his players. Even when they are down they are competing for championships.

3) Troy Barr - has been a great coach for 6-7 years, just recently had the talent to be recognized.

4) Kevin Klein - did a great job at Waggener. This year's team overachieved; next year they will be even better!

5) Doug Bibby - Mr. March!! No other coach in the area gets his team ready to play in the postseason ( back to back regional titles to prove it!). Great teacher of the game.

Obviously, there are 5-12 other great coaches in the Louisville area- tough place to win games!