Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UK 1996 vs. 2012

Which UK team would you take? 31 members have voted

  1. 1. Which UK team would you take?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

It's extremely tough to debate but the fact that the 2012 team has Davis puts them ahead IMO. He is so dominate on the glass and on the defensive side of the ball.

  • Replies 46
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nazr Mohammed was on the 96 team also.

 

He and Mills didn't contribute that year. I only included players who actually contributed to winning games.

I think it comes down to fatigue. I felt this year's team got fatigued on more than one occasion against their competition. They would get their 2nd wind but there were key times that they slowed it down to "catch their breath." The '96 team never got fatigued and would cause fatigue in ANYONE.

 

I'm not some old cogger looking to say "only the past was better." I think they are very comparable, much more so than the '10 team. But depth would be the deciding point for me.

He and Mills didn't contribute that year. I only included players who actually contributed to winning games.

 

Yeah, Nazr was still an over wieght "project" back then. I beleive Mills was a walk on too.

 

I'd have to give the edge to 2012 just based on being more athletic especially in the post. And like dolamite said, the game has certainly evolved since then. That '96 UK team didn't play against the teams that this '12 UK team did. The talent in college basketball since then has spead out. Back in '96 five star players used to come to UK to sit on the bench. Now, if you can't have playing time available for them they will find another place to go. I'd have to give UK '12 the slight edge.

I'm going with the 96 team due to depth and there ability to shoot the three. That was one of, if not the, best college team I've ever seen in my lifetime.

It's extremely tough to debate but the fact that the 2012 team has Davis puts them ahead IMO. He is so dominate on the glass and on the defensive side of the ball.

 

He would make a huge difference but the depth and the outside game of 96 puts them over 12 for me.

Pretty cool stat, both teams beat every team they played.

 

What?

What?

 

Pretty sure he means say like 96' losing to UMASS early then beating them in The Final Four, same for Miss St. who they had beaten but got beat in Championship game. This year Indiana early avenged in tourney, beat Vandy 2 times. Zero teams from either year can say they got the best of the cats that season.

Yeah, Nazr was still an over wieght "project" back then. I beleive Mills was a walk on too.

 

I'd have to give the edge to 2012 just based on being more athletic especially in the post. And like dolamite said, the game has certainly evolved since then. That '96 UK team didn't play against the teams that this '12 UK team did. The talent in college basketball since then has spead out. Back in '96 five star players used to come to UK to sit on the bench. Now, if you can't have playing time available for them they will find another place to go. I'd have to give UK '12 the slight edge.

 

Is the bolded really true? UMass had Marcus Camby. They were little known until '92.

 

Tim Duncan and supporting cast were on the Wake Forest Team. I didn't see a Tim Duncan or Marcus Camby talent on any team this year.

 

Though UK never played them it was also the year of Ray Allen at UConn, Allen Iverson at Georgetown, and a Kansas squad with Paul Pierce, Lafrentz and Pollard. Utah had Keith Van Horne and Andre Miller. Stephan Marbury led Georgia Tech.

Both teams were obviously great, but I beleive the '96 team is better, mainly because of depth. That team is one of the deepest with talent at the college level ever and is one of the best all time in my opinion.

12 Team shot the ball at 49% which is right around the same percentage as the 96 team, also shot 38% from 3 and I believe the 96 squad was right around 39%. 96 team had around 180 blocks where as 12 had around 340ish. 96 had depth as far as players that would become good later but how many of them were good players in 96. Mills and Nazr were not contributers in 96 and any one that acts like Mills could play with this 12 team is just silly. I'm not saying it's one or the other but I'm sure glad both teams in the discussion were UK teams.

I think what a lot of people are not accounting for is '12 ablity to defend the three ball. '96 would have had a really hard time getting in a rythem against '12. On the defensive side is where the game has evolved from then until now. Championship teams do not give up points (IU vs. UK 2012x2 is the exception).

I think what a lot of people are not accounting for is '12 ablity to defend the three ball. '96 would have had a really hard time getting in a rythem against '12. On the defensive side is where the game has evolved from then until now. Championship teams do not give up points (IU vs. UK 2012x2 is the exception).

 

 

But the '96 team also locked down Wake Forest to 63 points, UMass in the 60's and Syracuse to 67. They played very well on the defensive side.

 

As to Sportsfan's look at 3 point shooting: the '96 team attempted 266 while this year's Cats made 225 while playing two more games thatn the '96 club. That is a big difference added to they shot at around 40%.

 

It's a great debate to have but I'm not sure the game has "evolved" as much. In fact I think jump shooting appears worse now than ever before. If you can sink a larger % of jump shots, it makes up for those teams that "have to" drive to the rim.

 

If anyone wants to look it up, here are sites to compare the season's averages:

 

1996: Schedule for 1995-96

 

2012: Schedule for 2011-12

Who's your starting 5 if you combined the two teams?

Teague or Epps

Lamb or Delk

Jones or Walker

Davis or McCarty

MKG or Anderson

6th man Miller or Mercer

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.