UK 1996 vs. 2012

futurecoach

Which UK team would you take?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which UK team would you take?

I didn't see a thread on this, but have seen plenty of discussion on it in threads. So I figured we might as well have a thread on it too.

When looking at the individual matchups, I would say 2012 team wins it there if you look position by position. However that is not how you judge who would win just based on individual matchups. Style of play has to come into consideration too. I mentioned this in another thread. We need to look at this years UL team, and how that style did make for good games against this years UK team. Only difference is the 96 team is 10 times more talented than this years UL team Pitino coached. The 96 team would press which may not create many turnovers against this years team, however everyone of the 1996 UK players could play on the outside. Even McCarthy had a good enough outside game to pull Davis out from under the rim. The 96 team would be able to spread this years team out a lot like Indiana and Vandy did too. The 96 team also had shooters everywhere. Individual matchups the 2012 team wins, but if you through in the style of play the 96 team had. I think it would create some trouble for the 2012 team too.

Honestly I think it is impossible to know who would win, and if they played 10 times they may just split the series.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cats Depth from '96 would win out. Couple that with their quickness was every bit as great as this year's team and I go with the '96 squad. UK could hit 3's, clamp down on defense and like this year's team - play at any speed.

Tony Delk

Anthony Epps

Derek Anderson

Antoine Walker

Walter McCarty

Mark Pope

Ron Mercer

Wayne Turner

Jeff Sheppard

Allen Edwards

Marquis Teague

Doron Lamb

Anthony Davis

MKG

Terrence Jones

Darius Miller

Kyle Wiltjer

Eloy Vargas

Would be entertaining.

Cats Depth from '96 would win out. Couple that with their quickness was every bit as great as this year's team and I go with the '96 squad. UK could hit 3's, clamp down on defense and like this year's team - play at any speed.

Tony Delk

Anthony Epps

Derek Anderson

Antoine Walker

Walter McCarty

Mark Pope

Ron Mercer

Wayne Turner

Jeff Sheppard

Allen Edwards

Marquis Teague

Doron Lamb

Anthony Davis

MKG

Terrence Jones

Darius Miller

Kyle Wiltjer

Eloy Vargas

Would be entertaining.

You forgot the Mills from the 96 team he nailed a lot of three pointers that year. 96 was a better shooting team. I would have loved to see Sheppard dunk on Davis!

You forgot the Mills from the 96 team he nailed a lot of three pointers that year. 96 was a better shooting team. I would have loved to see Sheppard dunk on Davis!

Mills didn't see playing time until the 1997 season when Anderson got hurt. Which that Anderson injury in 97 is what helped the 98 team, because if Anderson never got hurt. Mills probably never gets a chance to show how good of a shooter he was in a game since he would not play a lick of defense.

The game has changed a lot from now to then, even though it was less than 20 years ago. 2012 was just so much more athletic and could quite possibly have been the best defensive team I've seen in my lifetime. They break the season block record for a team, Davis sets the frosh block record for a season. MKG could lock on to whatever guard or wing he had to on that team, Delk, DA, Mercer, whoever. I think Antoine Walker gives 12' a fit but I would compare it to how Terrence Jones and Thomas Robinson battled Monday night. Neither really getting the best of the other but both scoring points and getting things done, essentially canceling each other out. Then you look at McCarty/Pope versus Davis. That's Davis all day and you must account for his help defense coming over on Walker. In turn Walker could be a presence against Davis on the other end of the court, but Davis went 1-9 the other night and was still MOP. What determines this game is if 96' is hitting 3's and creating turnovers with the press. If they do those two things they win. However, 12' done a great job in the tourney keeping teams cold from outside. Locked down Iowa State who were one of the nations best, Heslip got one shot off after he had already torched some teams late in the year. Indiana was maybe the exception but the 3's they did hit were very tough, highly contested shots. Again against Louisville and Kansas to close, good job minimizing damage from the opposing 3 ball. 12' also showed a great ability to be able to handle the press in clutch situations. If they take care of the ball and hit free throws, they win. There's just so many variables and way to look at this game. I say if they play 10 times 12' wins 6, thats how close it is to me. Obviously two great teams as I thought no doubt 96' was best team of my lifetime. Grew up watching every game that season and have went back and watched old VHS recordings of games that season and during the tourney run. I even remember attending one of the games that season and being in awe, first trip to Rupp and I was only 10. So for certain reasons that team has always been my hands down favorite, but I said coming into this year that if this years team got the job done and tore through the season like 96' and won the title that they would have a claim. Basically the same two paths and outcomes for the teams, eerily similar almost. You can say that the depth wins, but they didn't play deep all year and that never really lost them a game. No matter what 5 1996 has out there 12' five would be just as good barring foul trouble. So with that said, 2012.

The game has changed a lot from now to then, even though it was less than 20 years ago. 2012 was just so much more athletic and could quite possibly have been the best defensive team I've seen in my lifetime. They break the season block record for a team, Davis sets the frosh block record for a season. MKG could lock on to whatever guard or wing he had to on that team, Delk, DA, Mercer, whoever. I think Antoine Walker gives 12' a fit but I would compare it to how Terrence Jones and Thomas Robinson battled Monday night. Neither really getting the best of the other but both scoring points and getting things done, essentially canceling each other out. Then you look at McCarty/Pope versus Davis. That's Davis all day and you must account for his help defense coming over on Walker. In turn Walker could be a presence against Davis on the other end of the court, but Davis went 1-9 the other night and was still MOP. What determines this game is if 96' is hitting 3's and creating turnovers with the press. If they do those two things they win. However, 12' done a great job in the tourney keeping teams cold from outside. Locked down Iowa State who were one of the nations best, Heslip got one shot off after he had already torched some teams late in the year. Indiana was maybe the exception but the 3's they did hit were very tough, highly contested shots. Again against Louisville and Kansas to close, good job minimizing damage from the opposing 3 ball. 12' also showed a great ability to be able to handle the press in clutch situations. If they take care of the ball and hit free throws, they win. There's just so many variables and way to look at this game. I say if they play 10 times 12' wins 6, thats how close it is to me. Obviously two great teams as I thought no doubt 96' was best team of my lifetime. Grew up watching every game that season and have went back and watched old VHS recordings of games that season and during the tourney run. I even remember attending one of the games that season and being in awe, first trip to Rupp and I was only 10. So for certain reasons that team has always been my hands down favorite, but I said coming into this year that if this years team got the job done and tore through the season like 96' and won the title that they would have a claim. Basically the same two paths and outcomes for the teams, eerily similar almost. You can say that the depth wins, but they didn't play deep all year and that never really lost them a game. No matter what 5 1996 has out there 12' five would be just as good barring foul trouble. So with that said, 2012.

Yes talent wise when it comes to matchups 2012 wins it. However style of play would matter for this game, and the style of play that the 1996 team ran is the style of play that did give this team trouble. Indiana and Vandy ran similar styles when it comes to being able to shoot three's, and they probably still didn't shoot as well as the 96 team, who every starter could hit a three. The 96 team also pressed and did things similar to this years UL team, but with a lot more talent. Yet the UL team gave this years 2012 team all they could handle. Style of play equals out things even though individual matchups favor the 2012 team. Davis could lock down McCarty but McCarty would take him outside to the three point line, taking him away from the basket. MKG could slow down someone like Mercer, but then you have people like Anderson and Walker who could still shoot and slash the rim. Then you also had Delk who could shoot and drive, Epps who could shoot, and even Wayne Turner who even as a freshman could handle and get into the lane. Their style of play is a style of play that did give this years team the most trouble out of any team. For me I honestly can't say who would win, because 2012 wins the individual matchups, but style of play is something 96 probably as in their advantage if they played 2012 team. Would be a great game and would be split a lot in a series.

I would take 2012. People keep saying the 1996 team had nine NBA players but they didn't have the top two picks in the draft like 2012 does. I'm too lazy to look it up but would someone post the height of the players. I feel like the 2012 team would bother 96 with length and would have no trouble switching to almost anyone on the defensive end.

One team that gave 96 fits was UMASS. Who played for them? Remind you of anyone for 12?

It is hard to project teams against one another. The '96 team was "40 Minutes of Hell" on steroids. I can only compare how they did against their competition that season. The '96 team was a lot more dominating against their competition than the '12 Cats. Davis is far superior to any of the players. MKG, while projected to go #2, I am not seeing as an elite caliber NBA player.

Tournament margin of victory average: 1996 - 21.5 ; 2012 - 11.8.

I know during the regular season this year's team was around 18 or 19 points, the '96 team (I think) has the highest ever.

In short, when comparing against their field of play, the '96 team I feel was better. If they were somehow able to match-up against one another I would give the edge to 2012 because physical maturation even the past 20 years is startling.