Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tony Wise resigns at Montgomery County

Featured Replies

  • Author
This will be my only post on this subject. I was born and raised in Montgomery County. I played basketball for the Indians back in the mid 70s. I have supported them through many things both when I played and after I graduated. Our company has always been a big supporter of the basketball program as well as other programs at the school. But after this move, I do not think I can ever support this program again as long as the present administration is in place. This move was political. You cannot go 23-11 and get forced to resign because "we would like to take the program in a different direction." I am sorry little johnny did not get to play enough, but little johnny should have done what coach wanted him to do. I am sorry that an eigth grader got to see the varsity bench and some playing time, but that eigth grader has shown more promise than you. Coach Wise was trying to continue building a program, not adhere to somes personal agendas. I wish Coach Wise the best and I will continue to follow him where ever he lands. As far as Montgomery County, I will wait to see "which direction" they are wanting to go. In the meantime, and I can't believe I am saying this, Goldie, Can I cheer for the Cards?

 

 

Bless your heart, sure you can. Like you, I respect what Coach Wise was trying to do at Montgomery Co. and agree 100% that this move was political. Can you tell us where the new Supper and AD came from? Look for new coach to be from that area.

  • Replies 83
  • Views 22.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of comments from several posts I have read.

1. Hundley would NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER come back to Montgomery. He knows how much of a train wreck Montgomery is turning in to.

2. The new adminstration will cause the athletic programs at Montgomery to suffer greatly. No teacher/coach is safe and you never know when you could be the next one that is pushed out the door. Not an environment you want to work in. I think this will also keep kids from wanting to come out and play. Already hearing rumors of Prewitt transferring to Madison Central (I know its a rumor, but they are floating around).

3. The post in which "Happy" was italicized, I hear ya. I have heard the same thing that Happy Osborne might be a possible candidate to fill the job as he is headed back to KY. Dont know if Happy would play "puppet" like the new adminstration wants.

4. I think MC is going to loose a lot of support from the community along with a lot of money with they way they are handling themselves.

5. I really hate this for the kids and it is not fair for them to have to go through with this.

6. Where might Wise's next move be?

Bless your heart, sure you can. Like you, I respect what Coach Wise was trying to do at Montgomery Co. and agree 100% that this move was political. Can you tell us where the new Supper and AD came from? Look for new coach to be from that area.

 

I think the new super is from Union County or around there. I remember seeing it on KSBA a while back.

I heard people this summer saying if Wise didn't win the region with this team, and the regions being held in their gym, that it would be a short career at Montgomery Co.

That's not off at all.... Griesser, then Wise1 year, now ???? That's 3 in 3 years for sure

 

It's deceptive though. In any circumstance, if a coach leaves after one year, you are going to be on 3 in 3 years. It's math.

 

It says nothing about the stability of a program per se (not speaking specifically of this situation though). Rison was at Montgomery forever. Griesser was there for four, and left for an administrative job. Though, I do remember a lot of people wondering way he left with his best team coming back. Hmm, maybe he didn't like what he saw on the horizon and got out while the getting was good.

Earlier this season I had heard that Phil Rison had been let go.

 

Knowing Phil and watch him orchrastrate the 10th Region Coaches Association for so many years, and respecting him for his dedication and professionalism, I knew that if that was the case then someone down there had made a huge mistake.

 

However, at the 10th Region Tournament he seemed to be running around full-tilt as always, so I thought that I may have been mis-informed.

 

If indeed that did happen, and now letting Coach Wise go after one season, I think the new direction they are heading is DOWN! :madman:

It would be interesting to know, if I was a Montgomery County Fan and/or taxpayer, what the definition of success would be at this school. If I was a prospective coaching candidate there, I'd ask.

It's deceptive though. In any circumstance, if a coach leaves after one year, you are going to be on 3 in 3 years. It's math.

 

It says nothing about the stability of a program per se (not speaking specifically of this situation though). Rison was at Montgomery forever. Griesser was there for four, and left for an administrative job. Though, I do remember a lot of people wondering way he left with his best team coming back. Hmm, maybe he didn't like what he saw on the horizon and got out while the getting was good.

 

A former coach I worked with once told me, "Even a rat knows when to jump from a sinking ship!"

Earlier this season I had heard that Phil Rison had been let go.

 

Knowing Phil and watch him orchrastrate the 10th Region Coaches Association for so many years, and respecting him for his dedication and professionalism, I knew that if that was the case then someone down there had made a huge mistake.

 

However, at the 10th Region Tournament he seemed to be running around full-tilt as always, so I thought that I may have been mis-informed.

 

If indeed that did happen, and now letting Coach Wise go after one season, I think the new direction they are heading is DOWN! :madman:

 

Looking on Montgomery County's District Website, Phil Rison is not listed as the Athletic Director. He has another title, something like Director of District Services. Gene Heffington is listed as athletic director on High School Website. I was told at the State Tournament that Phil is looking for Superintendent jobs in other districts. The man has bleed Montgomery County Red and Blue, if he is out looking for jobs that ought to tell you something!

 

Train wreck on the way?

  • Author

Tony Wise out as Montgomery County coach

 

Tony Wise, who guided the Montgomery County boys’ basketball team to a 23-11 record in his first season as coach, has resigned after being told the program needed to go in a different direction.

 

Wise said he was “completely shocked” when Montgomery County athletics director Gene Heffington gave him the news.

 

“Honestly, I had no clue this was coming,” Wise said. “I thought we had a pretty daggone good year considering the schedule we played. We beat Clark County for the first time in four years, and we beat two Lexington teams (Bryan Station and Lafayette).”

The Indians lost to Mason County in the 10th Region semifinals.

 

Wise wasn’t hired for the Montgomery County job until early August, so he had no chance to work with his players in summer ball.

 

Wise coached at Frankfort the previous two years. He also coached high school hoops in Florida for eight years.

The only thing I am going to say on this is good luck to Coach Wise. Things will work out in the end for him.

Montgomery County the new Greenup County?

Tony Wise out as Montgomery County coach

 

Tony Wise, who guided the Montgomery County boys’ basketball team to a 23-11 record in his first season as coach, has resigned after being told the program needed to go in a different direction.Wise said he was “completely shocked” when Montgomery County athletics director Gene Heffington gave him the news.

 

“Honestly, I had no clue this was coming,” Wise said. “I thought we had a pretty daggone good year considering the schedule we played. We beat Clark County for the first time in four years, and we beat two Lexington teams (Bryan Station and Lafayette).”

The Indians lost to Mason County in the 10th Region semifinals.

 

Wise wasn’t hired for the Montgomery County job until early August, so he had no chance to work with his players in summer ball.

 

Wise coached at Frankfort the previous two years. He also coached high school hoops in Florida for eight years.

 

What is crazy about that statement is that it was the same adminstration (AD, Super) that picked Tony after they decided to go in a new direction once Griesser left. Would be nice if MC would decide which direction they are going to go. A LOT of people in the community are outraged with they way things are being handled over in Mt. Sterling.

One thing for sure, if Happy is the new direction, then I don't think that could be considered a bad direction. Although, I can't see him in high school ball after all the time in college ranks, but it could happen.

 

it stands to reason that Wise is known to be a good coach, he should be OK in the end too.

  • Author
What is crazy about that statement is that it was the same adminstration (AD, Super) that picked Tony after they decided to go in a new direction once Griesser left. Would be nice if MC would decide which direction they are going to go. A LOT of people in the community are outraged with they way things are being handled over in Mt. Sterling.

 

As I stated before, look for the new coach to have connections to new Supper and AD.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.