March 26, 201214 yr Zimmerman will havea hard time if not convicted. The Black Panther Party already has a large sum of money for a bounty on his head. Funny that Obama hasnt spoke on this as it would be a very teachable moment.
March 26, 201214 yr Like I said, I did not listen to it. Still does not change my position on the matter. If he did in fact call him a coon, it does not change the fact that the boy is dead for no good reason based on what we know. I understand your point. A young man lost his life due to the overzelousness of another and that is a tragedy. I do, however, think that Martin was racially profiled and that had he been a white kid wearing a hoodie, Zimmerman may not have chased him down.
March 26, 201214 yr You keep asking if I would feel better if...... Why would I feel better about any of the questions you asked? No to both of them. My opinion is based on what I have read about this situation. You admitted you haven't done much research on the story and I'll admit that the media coverage and the fact that I am black and have multiple hoodie wearing sons has altered my perception of this case. It is definitely a human issue but a lot of the circumstances surrounding this incident hits home a little too hard for a lot of black men such as myself. I understand.
March 26, 201214 yr I understand your point. A young man lost his life due to the overzelousness of another and that is a tragedy. I do, however, think that Martin was racially profiled and that had he been a white kid wearing a hoodie, Zimmerman may not have chased him down.You are probably correct.
March 26, 201214 yr This may be the case. Zimmerman did profile the kid as a potential robber/thief, since there had been numerous robberies and some had been done by blacks. Maybe he was motivated into stopping whoever regardless of race. Just mad at the world and situations that had happened in his neighborhood and things escalated and got out of control by a guy who didnt care about anything but stopping a potential thief. But I dont know and neither does anyone on this website since we werent there and not inside Zimmermans mind to know what he thinks. It has now turned into a race issue and to satisfy the many blacks who are protesting, Zimmerman will be found guilty regardless if he is or not.
March 26, 201214 yr This may be the case. Zimmerman did profile the kid as a potential robber/thief, since there had been numerous robberies and some had been done by blacks. Maybe he was motivated into stopping whoever regardless of race. Just mad at the world and situations that had happened in his neighborhood and things escalated and got out of control by a guy who didnt care about anything but stopping a potential thief. But I dont know and neither does anyone on this website since we werent there and not inside Zimmermans mind to know what he thinks. It has now turned into a race issue and to satisfy the many blacks who are protesting, Zimmerman will be found guilty regardless if he is or not. Well it's pretty tough to say that race wasn't playing into the equation after hearing Zimmerman's "coon" epithet recorded in the 911 call...
March 26, 201214 yr Trayvon Martin: George Zimmerman's account to police of the Trayvon Martin shooting. - Orlando Sentinel With a single punch, Trayvon Martin decked the Neighborhood Watch volunteer who eventually shot and killed the unarmed 17-year-old, then Trayvon climbed on top of George Zimmerman and slammed his head into the sidewalk, leaving him bloody and battered, law enforcement authorities have revealed to the Orlando Sentinel. That is the account Zimmerman gave police, and much of it has been corroborated by witnesses, authorities say. There have been no reports that a witness saw that initial punch Zimmerman told police about. Zimmerman has not spoken publicly about what happened Feb. 26. But that night, and in later meetings, he described and re-enacted for police what he says took place. In his version of events, he had turned around and was walking back to his SUV when Trayvon approached him from behind, the two exchanged words then Trayvon punched him in the nose, sending him to the ground, and began beating him. Zimmerman told police he shot the teenager in self-defense. This is the first time I have seen a lot of detail about what allegedly went down. Just for the record I think Zimmerman is a piece of work and should be put in jail. Zimmerman fell to the ground and Trayvon got on top of him and began slamming his head into the sidewalk, he told police. Zimmerman began yelling for help. Several witnesses heard those cries, and there's been a dispute about whether they came from Zimmerman or Trayvon. Lawyers for Trayvon's family say it was Trayvon, but police say their evidence indicates it was Zimmerman. One witness, who has since talked to local television news reporters, told police he saw Zimmerman on the ground with Trayvon on top, pounding him — and was unequivocal that it was Zimmerman who was crying for help. Zimmerman then shot Trayvon once in the chest from very close range, according to authorities. So what happened in between? Did he push him off stand up and shoot him?
March 26, 201214 yr When it says there have been no reports of anyone seeing the initial punch, but much of his story being corroborated by witnesses, does that mean someone saw Trayvon climb on top of him and slam his head into the sidewalk?
March 26, 201214 yr When it says there have been no reports of anyone seeing the initial punch, but much of his story being corroborated by witnesses, does that mean someone saw Trayvon climb on top of him and slam his head into the sidewalk? According this this guy... One witness, who has since talked to local television news reporters, told police he saw Zimmerman on the ground with Trayvon on top, pounding him — and was unequivocal that it was Zimmerman who was crying for help.
March 26, 201214 yr At a Monday news conference, Trayvon's mother, father and their lawyers called the report that their son was suspended from school because of a marijuana baggy irrelevant and needlessly hurtful. Is the mother correct or is it relevant to the case? I believe the portrayal has been made that Trayvon was a good kid that would do nothing wrong. This flies in the face of that. From a pure legal perspective I totally agree with Trayvon's mother. On the flip side it does bring up character issues most people neglect.
March 26, 201214 yr I think the truth could be somewhere in between. Sadly we will never no and it gets back to my other post about justice not properly being served for either side. And yes I think Zimmerman should be sent to jail. The self defense claim is a bit extreme.
March 26, 201214 yr At a Monday news conference, Trayvon's mother, father and their lawyers called the report that their son was suspended from school because of a marijuana baggy irrelevant and needlessly hurtful. Is the mother correct or is it relevant to the case? I believe the portrayal has been made that Trayvon was a good kid that would do nothing wrong. This flies in the face of that. From a pure legal perspective I totally agree with Trayvon's mother. On the flip side it does bring up character issues most people neglect. If this does end up in court, wouldn't the defense need to show a lack of credibility that Trayvon was just a good kid that would never did anything wrong? BTW, I have no problem with someone being found with pot or in this case an empty baggy. But I do have a problem with it being on school grounds.
March 26, 201214 yr If this does end up in court, wouldn't the defense need to show a lack of credibility that Trayvon was just a good kid that would never did anything wrong? BTW, I have no problem with someone being found with pot or in this case an empty baggy. But I do have a problem with it being on school grounds. Without a doubt. If this ever makes it to court this will get ugly.
March 26, 201214 yr Author I still say it's impossible to know exactly what happened between the two of them that led up to the shooting. I still find some oddities in Zimmerman's account. One, he says he in no way was following Martin, but the 911 tapes indicate otherwise. Two, he says the reason he was out of the truck was because he was trying to see which street he was on. I think it's odd that the guy who apparently patrols the neighborhood regularly doesn't know the street names, especially when it's a small community. Unless there was something very peculiar about it, I also don't know why he had to get out of his truck to find the street names. Three, I also wonder how he was able to shoot Martin if Martin was on top of him. From the 911 calls of neighbors they describe two shots fired with the crying for help coming between them. You can hear the crying cease after the second shot in one of the tapes. That seems different from Zimmerman's account. Of course, Zimmerman could be telling the truth. But even he is I still don't see deadly force being justifiable in this case and it still seems as though the police investigation was mishandled. How is all of this new information coming out after the investigation was wrapped up and why are there still so many questions that are unaccounted for?
March 26, 201214 yr Author At a Monday news conference, Trayvon's mother, father and their lawyers called the report that their son was suspended from school because of a marijuana baggy irrelevant and needlessly hurtful. Is the mother correct or is it relevant to the case? I believe the portrayal has been made that Trayvon was a good kid that would do nothing wrong. This flies in the face of that. From a pure legal perspective I totally agree with Trayvon's mother. On the flip side it does bring up character issues most people neglect. I don't think it's very relevant. I could understand if he had been in trouble for violence before, as that might make his attacking Zimmerman more believable. But, getting in trouble for pot? It seems trivial and just an attempt to dump on the kid.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.