Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Trayvon Martin

Featured Replies

Anyone following this story about this shooting?

  • Replies 601
  • Views 49.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read about it yesterday and watched some news coverage as well. I don't know how his shooter is walking free right now. I'm willing to consider the police know something we don't....but from the neighbor witness calls to 911, I'm just at a loss to figure out what it is. The kid has Skittles and an iced tea on him. From the recording of the communication between the guard and the shooter, absolutely everything is wrong about what he did.

  • Author
I read about it yesterday and watched some news coverage as well. I don't know how his shooter is walking free right now. I'm willing to consider the police know something we don't....but from the neighbor witness calls to 911, I'm just at a loss to figure out what it is. The kid has Skittles and an iced tea on him. From the recording of the communication between the guard and the shooter, absolutely everything is wrong about what he did.

 

I agree. Obviously, we don't know exactly what transpired between Martin and Zimmerman, but with the release of the 911 calls its very hard to believe Zimmerman's self-defense claim. I'm surprised his story has been so readily accepted. Of course, I could be missing something.

I was not aware of the story but read up on it after seeing this thread. From what I read, jail time is in order for Zimmerman. IMO, even self defense does not work as a defense. He was told not to approach the young man and did so anyway. Anything that ensues from that point short of someone pointing a gun at you justifies shooting. I believe the law also says you can only resort to homicide in self defense if you have no alternative and feel your life is in imminent danger. From the facts I read, it sounds like Zimmerman clearly did not try to avoid this incident. In fact, it sound like he was actually the instigator. I don't feel there is any way he should be able to avoid jail time. This will be an interesting case to follow. I can see public outcry ramping up and putting pressure on the authorities to take some action.

I was not aware of the story but read up on it after seeing this thread. From what I read, jail time is in order for Zimmerman. IMO, even self defense does not work as a defense. He was told not to approach the young man and did so anyway. Anything that ensues from that point short of someone pointing a gun at you justifies shooting. I believe the law also says you can only resort to homicide in self defense if you have no alternative and feel your life is in imminent danger. From the facts I read, it sounds like Zimmerman clearly did not try to avoid this incident. In fact, it sound like he was actually the instigator. I don't feel there is any way he should be able to avoid jail time. This will be an interesting case to follow. I can see public outcry ramping up and putting pressure on the authorities to take some action.
That's the way I see it as well. Hard to understand how he's not being held or charged at this point.

I've been following it for a couple of days and agree with all of the above. I did read somewhere that (I believe it was) Zimmerman's father said that when the whole story comes out that his son will be cleared of wrong doing. I just can't imagine what would do that, though.

I've been following it for a couple of days and agree with all of the above. I did read somewhere that (I believe it was) Zimmerman's father said that when the whole story comes out that his son will be cleared of wrong doing. I just can't imagine what would do that, though.

 

 

Especially when the kid was armed with skittles and ice tea. I haven't heard the 911 tapes but I heard they have the kid begging for help and then the fatal gunshot is heard. Is that true?

Especially when the kid was armed with skittles and ice tea. I haven't heard the 911 tapes but I heard they have the kid begging for help and then the fatal gunshot is heard. Is that true?

 

Clearly, Zimmerman (the "neighborhood watch" guy) instigated the whole incident. However, some say that it is Zimmerman shouting for help on the tapes, that he was underneath the kid and that he suffered injuries. Yet, according to one of the transcripts I read, one of the 911 callers clearly identifies Zimmerman as the person on top during the scuffle.

Perfect example of the downside to vigilantes. Too many are looking for trouble to happen so they can get involved.

 

Sad story.

Clearly, Zimmerman (the "neighborhood watch" guy) instigated the whole incident. However, some say that it is Zimmerman shouting for help on the tapes, that he was underneath the kid and that he suffered injuries. Yet, according to one of the transcripts I read, one of the 911 callers clearly identifies Zimmerman as the person on top during the scuffle.

 

Either way, it doesn't matter. When Zimmerman showed up and got out of his car, anything that happens from that point on puts the blame on him IMO.

I was not aware of the story but read up on it after seeing this thread. From what I read, jail time is in order for Zimmerman. IMO, even self defense does not work as a defense. He was told not to approach the young man and did so anyway. Anything that ensues from that point short of someone pointing a gun at you justifies shooting. I believe the law also says you can only resort to homicide in self defense if you have no alternative and feel your life is in imminent danger. From the facts I read, it sounds like Zimmerman clearly did not try to avoid this incident. In fact, it sound like he was actually the instigator. I don't feel there is any way he should be able to avoid jail time. This will be an interesting case to follow. I can see public outcry ramping up and putting pressure on the authorities to take some action.

 

That's the way I see it as well. Hard to understand how he's not being held or charged at this point.

 

I agree. He was told not to approach him, he did it anyway and now a boy is dead. Zimmerman should be tried for murder.

Zimmerman has made 46 calls to 911 since January, 2011. Dude tries to find "trouble" - or fabricates it if there isn't any to be found. I can't imagine he doesn't get charged with something. Now...will it be the correct "something" that he gets charged with? Maybe not. Still, I just can't see him walking away from this without anything happening to him.

If this girls testimony stands up (I don't see why it wouldn't, except maaaybe that she's a minor), I don't see how this isn't pretty damning for Zimmerman. This makes him sound like even more of a crackpot.

 

Trayvon Martin Exclusive: Friend on Phone with Teen Before Death Recalls Final Moments - Yahoo!

 

ABC News was there exclusively as the 16-year-old girl told Martin family attorney Benjamin Crump about the last moments of the teenager's life.

 

"He said this man was watching him, so he put his hoodie on. He said he lost the man," Martin's friend said. "I asked Trayvon to run, and he said he was going to walk fast. I told him to run but he said he was not going to run."

 

Eventually he would run, said the girl, thinking that he'd managed to escape. But suddenly the strange man was back, cornering Martin.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.