PGA Barbasol Championship 2019

Today is the final day of the Barbasol Championship in Nicholasville. This is the official PGA stop for this week while most of the big names are across the pond in Ireland this week at the Open.

Jim Herman leads at 24 under. Kelly Kraft is 23 under. Some PGA 4 day scoring records should fall today as the course has been playing well for the pros. A bit of rain Wednesday night to soften up the course with sunny days since then has made for almost perfect scoring conditions. The fairways are rolling well and the greens are in great condition to attack the pins. 30 under is not out of the question today.

John Daly was the biggest name here Thursday and Friday. Daly could have played in the open but he is still recovering from some medical issues and the R&A would not let him use a cart. The PGA seemed to be more flexible. But 'Grip it and rip it' big John missed the cut.

Jason Dufner (PGA Champion from 2013) did make the cut but is not in the hunt.

Local product Josh Teater is in the hunt somewhat at 17 under. Teater, a Henry Clay graduate, is in the third to last group today and tees off at 12:20. The leaders go off at 12:40.

Today's tee times:

Barbasol Championship: Tee Times

Have played this course multiple times. I cannot imagine how anyone (short of using an eraser) could possibly be 24 under after 3 rounds from the tips! These guys are so good and candidly this field is the usual mid-pack guys. Never thought the course was championship caliber; but, these #s are dreamworthy.

I am very happy for Jim Herman. His mother taught both of my daughters at St. Antoninus grade school in Cincy about 18-20 years ago. I follow golf more than 98% of the population. One of my daughters came home from school one day and told me that Mrs. Herman's son was a pro golfer. I had never heard of him. For me to have never heard of him says something because I am a golf nerd and know far more about the players than I should. Well I have heard of him now! I actually have followed his story for a few years now.

I especially like the story about how he was a club pro at one of President Trump's courses and how he got to know President Trump well. The President played a round with him a couple of years ago and Jim went out two weeks later and one his first PGA event. He has had injury issues the past 18 months (including plantar fasciitis which is brutal in case you have never had it). He played a round with President Trump two weeks ago and then won again yesterday! Jim should play with President Trump much more often. Evidently, President Trump gave him the putter he used this week when he played with him two weeks ago. You can love or hate President Trump but one thing about him that is just a fact is that he is a decent player and knows a lot about golf. Jim actually kissed the putter that President Trump gave him when he was interviewed after he won. I am just happy for Jim Herman because the win yesterday gives him a lot of freedom the next couple of years as he gets a two year exemption and qualifies for the PGA tournament and The Players championship next year. Hopefully he can qualify for the FEDEX playoffs in August.