Somethin's up in Tampa

swamprat

Charlie Strong suspended 11 players permanently before the Gasparilla Bowl for violating team rules. Many were starters or on the 2 deep projected to be starters, next season. Both backup quarterbacks, Brett Kean and Chris Oladokun (who started most of the last 5 regular season games) transferred out along with others.

By my count, with Chris Oladokun's tranfer announcement, Friday, USF has now lost 32 players to graduation, transfer, and permanent suspension. 4 assistant coaches have been fired or have left for better positions, including OC Sterling Gilbert who is now head coach at McNeese State.

After losing 6 games in a row, Charlie is cleaning house. Texas déjà vue all over again? :)

Any comments from the athletic director?

Mike Kelly has thrown his full support behind Charlie Strong. Not sure what else he can do. Strong is 17-8 since taking over for Willie Taggart. However, Charlie clearly lost the team halfway through the season. I watched the replay of the bowl game and that team had absolutely quit on him. They were in no way, shape, or form ready to play that game. I guess he felt there was a poison in the locker room and he had to purge it.

I wish Sterling Gilbert well, but 2 dives and a bomb does not an offense make. I'm interested in seeing who CCS brings in to replace him.