Ohio; A basketball state?

GrantNKY

With 3 teams in the top 8 of this weeks AP Poll, Ohio is quickly starting to gain traction as one of the premier basketball states in the country. This is kind of sarcastic since Ohio will forever remain a football state, but I thought it would be a good place to discuss the ceilings of Xavier, Cincinnati, and Ohio State.

I think Xavier is absolutely capable of winning it all.

I haven't seen much of UC, but I think they're capable of making a run. Have concerns that their weak schedule may come back to haunt them come March.

Ohio State is playing with house money IMO. In the right situation/draw, I could see them making a run, but I think second weekend is their ceiling.

Xavier: Final 4 caliber team no doubt and a team that can compete for a national championship.

UC: Same as X, but I think matchups are even more important for UC.

OSU: This one pains me because this team is such a great story and I’m really hoping they can pull this off, but they just look like a team that might be primed for an upset. They haven’t been to the tournament for a few years, they aren’t an incredibly deep team and if KBD is having an off game they will need a couple young guys to pick up the slack and I’m not sure if they are quite ready for that. Hopefully I’m wrong. It would be really cool to see all 3 teams advance really far in the tournament. I couldn’t imagine the buzz for an OSU/UC or OSU/ X matchup in the Sweet 16 or Elite Eight. I don’t think we would see an X/ UC rematch unless they both make the final 4.

I think Xavier is absolutely capable of winning it all.

I haven't seen much of UC, but I think they're capable of making a run. Have concerns that their weak schedule may come back to haunt them come March.

Ohio State is playing with house money IMO. In the right situation/draw, I could see them making a run, but I think second weekend is their ceiling.

Agree with this assessment 100%. Would be great to see all 3 make runs. Maybe something miraculous happens and UK makes a run too. That would be a fun couple of weeks.

How soon you forget 2012 and the FOUR teams from Ohio that made the Sweet 16: Ohio State, Cincinnati, Xavier, and Ohio University.

This is nothing new! :cool:

It is indeed nothing new.

It goes back pretty far:

1960---OSU defeats California for the NCAA title.

1961---UC defeats OSU for the title.

1962---UC defeats OSU for the title.

1963---Chicago Loyola defeats UC for the title.

Nice 4-year run for the Ohio schools................right before UCLA blew everybody out of the water.

It is indeed nothing new.

It goes back pretty far:

1960---OSU defeats California for the NCAA title.

1961---UC defeats OSU for the title.

1962---UC defeats OSU for the title.

1963---Chicago Loyola defeats UC for the title.

Nice 4-year run for the Ohio schools................right before UCLA blew everybody out of the water.

Haha my parents were infants during that run so I apologize for not remembering it. Haha

How soon you forget 2012 and the FOUR teams from Ohio that made the Sweet 16: Ohio State, Cincinnati, Xavier, and Ohio University.

This is nothing new! :cool:

Haha true, but you got to admit this is a little different with 3 teams playing arguably the best basketball in the country. I really hope they can all live up to expectations in March.

Don't forget the Reds' Opening Day is that Thursday before, and the hoopla / parade is the Monday after. Would be bonkers!

I honestly didn’t even think about Opening Day. Now let’s not speak of this again so we don’t jinx it. Haha