Class 4A Notebook (11/6): Not As Chalky As You'd Think

DragonFire

Cards on the table, I've often joined in the argument that we have too many teams making the playoffs. I fall more into the "we have too many classes" category rather than "we should take the top two seeds", but the amount of teams that make it and get pulped is rather crazy. However, 4A had a surprising amount of "upsets" by seeds that continued a recent trend. All of those upsets came in the 2/3 games, as they almost always do. Since the institution of the six class system, 1 seeds are 85-1 in the first round of 4A play. The lone loss was in 2010, when West Jessamine knocked off Holmes. Other than that, it may as well be like the 16 seed in the NCAA - all but hopeless. But in the last three seasons, the 2 seeds are just 13-11 in first round play. There was even the strange year (2009) where the 3 seeds won more, going 5-3 against the 2 seeds. Overall, the 2 seeds are still 59-29 since 2007, but the class is always good for at least one upset by seed.

Region 1 Reset

One of those upsets took place in Region 1, with Hopkinsville making good on so much offseason promise to take down Warren East. The Tigers never trailed, and were pitching a shutout before Warren East got on the board midway through the 4th quarter. The Tigers didn't quite dominate in the traditional sense - the Raiders actually outgained them - but they weren't seriously threatened either. It's a disappointing end to a promising first year for Coach Griffith at Warren East, but the Raiders have continued to set their foundation. For Hoptown, it's a chance for redemption when they meet Logan County this week, eager to erase the sting of a last second defeat On October 5th that condemned them to be road warriors. The Tigers have now won four in a row.

Madisonville-North Hopkins and Franklin-Simpson will meet in the second round, with each taking care of business by multiple scores in the first round. Madisonville ran straight at Allen County-Scottsville, eliminating thoughts of a third straight year of a #3 Allen County team advancing, jumping out 28-0 by the middle of the second quarter with a punishing run game, and constant blitzes on Patriot QB Chase Wilson. The Maroons and the Wildcats will probably have less than ten passes between them as these teams like to RUN. Franklin-Simpson leads the overall series 11-10 and the playoff series 4-1. It's the fifth meeting of the two teams in the playoffs since 2011, all of them prior the region finals.

Region 2 Reset

Top seeds Collins and East Jessamine rolled, but the two seeds found themselves on the outs as #3 Shelby County and #3 Mercer County bounced back from a rough second half of the season to advance. Shelby County overcame a 21-10 deficit four minutes into the third quarter to keep alive their hopes of a third straight year in the region finals. Their 38 points in the 38-28 victory were their most since August 25th when they knocked off Atherton 48-23. Shelby County gets their second crack at Collins, who they fell to 38-19 in October. For Franklin County, it was deja vu as they fell to Mercer County for the second time this year, albeit narrowing the margin to 27-24 (their earlier meeting a 35-25 loss). Jackson Lewis had 15 carries for 115 yards in the Titans' victory, and they'll get another try at East Jessamine, who knocked off the Titans on the road 30-27 on September 29th.

Region 3 Reset

Despite the nominal seed upset by Rockcastle County, this region went exactly as one would expect. Four teams entered ranked in the BGP top ten – they all won. Knox Central dealt John Hardin their first exit in the first round in 13 years with a punishing 35-13 victory. Ethan Mills led the way for Knox with 101 yards and a pair of scores. John Hardin just never fully found their footing, showing flashes with wins over Daviess County and Meade County, but ultimately dooming themselves in a home loss to Moore on October 20th, knocking them down to the #3 seed. Rockcastle County had to survive a late charge by Moore to pull their “upset”, but pulled out the 30-22 victory to earn a rematch with Wayne County. Jaden Payne put up over two bills, racking up 224 yards and three scores on 33 carries as part of a ground attack that amassed 400 yards for Rockcastle County. They’ll face #1 Wayne County, who in addition to putting up a 43-0 victory on Valley this week also tapped out the Rockets 27-0 back in late September. The Rock has been chomping at the bit for another shot – they’ve earned it. Western was the lone winner from District 3, grabbing a 43-0 victory over Clay County. They’ve won six in a row, and now they’ll find out just how valuable their tough schedule was when they host Knox Central.

Region 4 Reset

Perhaps what is most surprising is that out of four three seed upsets, none were in Region 4. Greenup County was seen as one of the most promising lower seeds, having given Ashland all they wanted three weeks ago on the road. In a game that had nearly 900 yards of combined offense, it was the aerial assault of Bourbon County that pulled out a 34-30 win. The Colonels started the year with an impressive 36-29 win over Somerset, but entered the postseason just 4-4 in their last eight games. They’ll earn a shot at Ashland, which won a no-doubter over Holmes, 52-6. On the other side, Scott grabbed the honor of hosting a still-upset-from-the-upset Johnson Central team via a 49-7 pasting of Rowan County. The Eagles only attempted 8 passes while running up 345 yards on the ground in that one. Meanwhile, Johnson Central snapped their surprising two game losing streak with a 43-0 drubbing of Mason County, scoring more than their previous two games combined. Like Scott, they did all they wanted and needed in the rushing game, with 213 of offense on the ground, primarily from Blake Gamble, who had 128 yards on 12 rushes with 1 score. These two met a year ago in the 1/4 game, a 54-7 Johnson Central victory.

The Region 1 outcomes were not a big surprise to me. I had heard a lot of talk about a Dist 2 sweep.....no way I could see that happening.

WE started 3-1 but the competition level just wasn't there. The best win of the three had to be Greenwood but then GW lost to ACS the next week, after that was the 63-6 debacle at FS. In the end WE's best win of the year was ACS.

ACS jumped out 5-1 with a nice win over Glasgow but the injuries started to happen. After the FS game they were pretty rough shape in that department and dropped a tough one to WE. It seems the Patriots lost their edge after FS.

Warren Central showed definite signs of improvement but the constant poundings they absorbed week after week took its toll.

Of the nine teams in Region 1 Hopkinsville has probably played the toughest schedule. South Warren, Mayfield, Caldwell County, Christian County, Tilghman. All on the front end. Then came the tragedy of losing a teammate. The Tigers are battle tested and play with their fallen teammate's number on their helmets. They are going to be a tough out.

Madisonville went after ACS and had them reeling from the start. This is a confident team. They look like a team that thinks they can beat anyone. Analyzing the two team's statistics puts MNHHS and FS eyeball to eyeball. Who will blink?

Franklin-Simpson has come a long way since the opening game against Elizabethtown. The almost new OL has jelled. The almost all new DL has been tough against the run and pressured QB's. The all new defensive backfield has found their way out of the forest. The Cats are still capable of laying an egg. Example is the 2 1/2 quarters they trailed Warren East. East led 14-10 midway through the third. FS got a spark and exploded to a 45-14 win. A start like that against Madisonville and the Wildcats are done.

Logan County is the story of the year in KY High School football. Sure they haven't played the killer schedule and they have three "last play of the game" wins...but that sounds like the "Team of Destiny". With every win the story just gets bigger and bigger. Can they beat the Tigers again?

Who are you thinking? Just for discussion sake?

By no means is this a prediction, but I think the following are very possible:

Hopkinsville over Logan County

Mercer County over East Jessamine

Knox Central over Western

Anything beyond those three would catch me by surprise.

Anything beyond those three would catch me by surprise.[/

Hoptown winning would not surprise me at all. I actually expect it.

I would be surprised at the other two. I look for western to pull theirs out for sure.

Anything beyond those three would catch me by surprise.[/

Hoptown winning would not surprise me at all. I actually expect it.

I would be surprised at the other two. I look for western to pull theirs out for sure.

I've watched a couple of Hoptown games. They can look good at times and then just run completely off the rails. One game I quit watching after the fifth turnover. They will have to play well to beat Logan.

I've watched a couple of Hoptown games. They can look good at times and then just run completely off the rails. One game I quit watching after the fifth turnover. They will have to play well to beat Logan.

You are right Macdon, but it just seems to me that Hoptown has put things together and are playing inspired football of late. I’m not a Hoptown fan, I just like high school football.

Honestly, I hope that Logan wins and keeps their magical season alive for one more week.