1A # 4 Kentucky Country Day vs 2A # 8 Walton Verona ( 1A Game of the Week)

Bac2369

Who wins?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Kentucky Country Day
    • Walton Verona

Now the 2017 football season has begun we can now put the 2016 season to rest. For some this week will be game two and others this is game one of there goal for the season. Every teams dream season is to be raising that championship trophy in December.

Week 0 is now in the books. Now Week 1 offers us some excellent early season non district matchups.

The Class 1A Game of the Week in week 1 will offers offers us a another 1A vs 2A top ten matchup between #4 Kentucky Country Day and #8 Walton Verona.

Kentucky Country Day had no problem with putting away Atherton 49-21. Jackson Diaz threw for 4 touchdowns and 2 of those went to Air Force commit Josh Lifson. Ashton Robinson also added 2 touchdowns as well in the running game.

Walton Verona started slow in their opener with East Jessamine trailing 14-0 before finally getting on the scoreboard. Walton Verona come back to win the game 43-20 on the power running game of Micah Alford,Garet Talbot and Mason Smith. There quarterback Garrett Jones also added a touchdown on the ground as well as throwing one to Zach Clickenbeard. The ground and pound proved to be too much in the end for East Jessamine.

Who will win this clash of two different styles? Can Kentucky Country Day bend but not break when it matters to stop the ground and pound ? Will Walton Verona be able to stop the balanced offense Kentucky Country Day will throw at them and keep big Josh Lifson from having a big game?

I watched some tape on Walton Verona and gulped....some great physicality from a number of players, Mason Smith especially. That young man is all muscle and desire--what a tough, tough player. And this team is just plain fundamentally sound.

The passing game with Garrett Jones makes this WV extremely tough to game plan against....Jones is mobile and has sharp downfield vision when rolling out. His receivers showed really great instincts improvising and getting open. That is going to give KCD fits if the pass rush doesn't materialize. I think it's the difference maker in this game, as KCD seems to have a decent run defense through one game. KCD gave up just 61 yards on the ground to Atherton, although you have to assume that WV will be much much tougher to stop up the middle. They have some good size in the front 5 from the tape I watched.

Offensively, I think that Country Day will put up some points....the balance of its attack last Friday helped a number of playmakers get some yardage, on the ground and with the passing game. It was pretty much even--steven, about 225 yards rushing and passing.

I hope that both teams bring their A games and this turns out to be classic. I see WV winning by a TD or two if both teams show up.

I've got to watch some highlights of both teams and they both are solid. I'm going with KCD by 7 because there line looks to be a little at blocking and giving the QB time to throw and I think having a balanced offense will keep Walton Verona on its hills and keep them guessing most of the night.