Give Me Politics(Without Religion) or Give Me Death!

After some requests to invigorate this dying forum, I'll give a shot at resurrecting it(pun intended). Religion , politics, and science are three of my favorites topics. Mix all three together usually results in a rather volatile concoction.

This thread deals with politics and religion and whether you think it's okay for religion to intrude into the political realm and be a consideration when it comes to legislation. I have zero problem with anyone believing whatever they want to believe, regardless of how silly I or others may think the belief is. If a Muslim wants to believe that 72 virgins awaits him or a Christian believes he's gonna be raptured up in the blink of an eye, have at it. It's crazy in my view but I believe you have every right to hold your belief without being persecuted.

However, the rub for me that I don't want your religion, or anyone's religion intruding on my life by way of government legislation. The kind of thinking expressed by our Attorney General Elect is frightening to me. Back in 2014, he said, "Ultimately, freedom of speech is about ascertaining the truth. And if you don’t believe there’s a truth, you don’t believe in truth, ... if you’re an utter secularist, then how do we operate this government? How can we form a democracy of the kind I think you and I believe in… I do believe that we are a nation that, without God, there is no truth, and it’s all about power, ideology, advancement, agenda, not doing the public service.” :scared:

Does one have to be religious to ascertain the truth ? Can only the religious operate a successful government and form and maintain a democracy? While I want to you to have the right to worship and believe what you want to, I want your God and your religion the hell out of my government and its laws . Is that too much to ask? I wouldn't want to be part of a society in which religion encumbered scientific advancement and acceptance of scientific findings that would better the planet. To some extent we already see a certain segment of society that would like to legislate "God's truth " over that which science and nature has revealed, and continues to reveal.

Debate it ....

Edited by Science Friction