Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

SportsDummy

10 Post Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by SportsDummy

  1. This may be crazy - but may get some people thinking outside the box - but what if teams participated in conferences (schools with similarities in size, program, geography) instead of 1A - 6A designations. I don't know enough about the numbers to know how many conferences this would create. But number of males enrolled in a school doesn't always indicate much about the program. In reality how many schools, coaches and players want to be in a playoff game if you are number 3 and 4 in a 4 team district? and that game is in the middle of November! IMO it would be a lot more fun to play schools close to home to create rivalary and make the games more of an event - especially in the economic times we are in right now.
  2. I think we all know what you mean, but just for fun look up the word athletic (or athlete) and then try to answer the question.
  3. Would like to think the best coaching position is where the coach is able to teach willing kids the game of basketball, make a difference in their lives - not how many wins, how much money, how nice of a facility, how many recruits, etc - but in reality I know that is true old school thinking.
  4. I would assume the girls middle school state championship is the champion of the schools who chose to play - I am not familiar with any type of format where the teams progress to get to the championship. I thought middle school teams played in conferences. Will each conference send it's winner to the championship?
  5. Who is GCHS? This has been stated in the past - but there are too many schools who are MC, BC, GC etc. to use the two letter abbreviations. This is confusing for many of the posters. Thanks
  6. According to KHSAA - Practice cannot start earlier than July 15, but practice in full pads cannot start earlier than August 1 or 7 weekdays prior to first day of school. In our schools' case it was July 23 with first game being August 30. With many schools starting mid August, it is crazy to wait until August 30th for the first game.
  7. Is there a definition of Jr Varsity?
  8. I agree with your definition of "not required" - it holds true in every sport. At my school, we seem to have a lot of players who play spring football without any intention of playing fall football - it is just something they enjoy doing in the spring - I'm sure our coaches would love to have every player that comes out for spring football show up in July. What about other schools - how do your spring football numbers compare to your fall numbers?
  9. Why was the spring practice window ever tied to the basketaball tourn? Is there any documentation on how these dates were chosen?
  10. Spring practice is not mandatory to be on the football team. If you play baseball, you play baseball in the spring and start football practice in July (that is when you probably have to give up some baseball playing time.) So I wouldn't think baseball would lose any players - what kid would give up a baseball season for 10 practices? But basketball starting Oct 15 requires kids to decide if they want to give up almost a month of basketball practice or not play football.
  11. I would think starting spring practice after the boys basketball state tourn is over would be logical - can't see waiting till girls tourn is over if they play second. Are there any schools that want to start immediately after district play (early March)? What year did spring practice begin, have the starting date guidelines changed a lot since it began?
  12. Who is hosting and where will it be?
  13. I've worked plenty of concessions stands and hospitality rooms - I agree if the general population (parents and fans) has to pay for admission and food - everyone should.
  14. I think it was the other way around, kids gave up football in McNabb because compared to the Jr Pro experience, they were going backward. Up until last year the McNabb coaches were inconsistent and inexperienced and the administration at McNabb didn't feel the need to support the program with qualified coaches. I am very glad to see them bridge the gap between Jr Pro and High school with an excellent coach like Stockdale.
  15. I agree $7 is too high - any idea what other double header or bowl games charge?
  16. Sometimes it appears there is no rhyme or reason when you don't have all the facts laid out in front of you like they do. We (i.e. the schools) have chosen to put these people in charge of the system - it is great to have discussion but so often it is only criticism that is voiced. I am sure there are some positive aspects of the KHSAA.
  17. I agree with most of what you said, but most teams have a scrimmage on August 15 and August 22, bowl game on the 30th and first game on the 5th of September - if you start practice on the July 15th - that's really just 4 weeks before a game type situation - not 7 or 8. KHSAA determines when you can practice in full gear based on your first game date. I agree too much practice before game situations is boring for the kids and not productive. Why is there an "open" date on the schedule? I think doing away with that would help a lot also? Get your season over by the end of October and have playoffs in November.
  18. A lot goes into a player's decision to play multiple sports, some athletes only want to play where they can "star" and they won't participate in multiple sports because very few players are the star in several sports. These type athletes aren't willing to put in the hours just to be considered a multiple sport player. I don't think it has a much to do with coaches as it does with the society. I agree nudging those players is a great idea and they will benefit from expanding their horizons. From what I understand MC has a group of fairly new coaches in their system, maybe they will begin to support each other and encourge the athletes to play multiple sports. Basketball, baseball and soccer compete nearly year round, football has a more defined season. The coaches need to allow players to practice the sport that is in season and not pressure the kids to participate in the activities outside the season.
  19. What do you think attendance will be like at the Saturday night games since KHSAA moved the season a week and the first games fall on the Labor Day holiday weekend?
  20. Best short answer I have heard!
  21. Regarding the typo in the letter that Jackson received, I have to think some of the language in the letter he received must have referenced being ineligible. I can't believe the letter was worded such that omitting the "in" from eligible led him to believe he was eligible. It seems as if the media wanted this to be a bigger story, possibly to bring out the discussion or get everyone talking, who knows.
  22. I would like to speak to the kids who grew up in Scott County and could be losing their positions due to these transfers. How do they feel about the kids coming into their program?
  23. The ripple effect is huge - tournaments need to be scheduled so that the school days are not affected. It started as coaches of that sport attending, then the players and other coaches started attending, then the kids who aren't even interested started going because everyone else is going, then kids who can't afford to attend because of tickets, hotels and meals decided to stay home because no one was at school and they were going to have subsitutes anyway so the kids whose parents make them go to school anyway are forced to watch movies because there aren't enough kids in class or there is a subsitute. With the tournaments falling right after snow days and right before spring break - there is very little continuity for the students.
  24. I didn't mean to say a teacher is paid for summer. What I am trying to say is it is a yearly salary and you have to divide it by the number of hours you are scheduled to work. Therefore if a teacher is paid $50,000/year and they work 180 days that equals $34 per hour if you consider a day equals 8 hours. In business if a person is paid $50,000 a year they are expected to work 260 days which equals $24 per hour. The reason I am using a yearly salary is because I don't know of any teachers who are hired by the hour. I do realize most teachers and people in business work more hours than they are paid for when you are in a salaried position as opposed to an hourly paid position but there really isn't any way to factor that in. I have the upmost respect and admiration for most teachers - my complaint is with the system that allows the students needs to be ignored.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.