Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Spring practice proposal fails

Featured Replies

A proposal to move the spring practice window for football failed to pass by five votes today at the KHSAA meeting.

  • Replies 30
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What were the details of the proposal?

What were the details of the proposal?
This may be the wording....

 

h) Each football school may conduct ten (10) practice periods of

not more than two (2) hours in length and not more than one

practice per day over the twenty weekdays (Monday through

Friday) following the conclusion of the last state basketball

tournament over ten (10) days during the three calendar school

weeks following the school’s elimination from post-season play

in basketball.

It is totally ridiculous to tie when a football team gets to begin spring practice with when their boys & girls basketball teams finish their season. There should be a set period of time for ALL schools to conduct spring drills. This way it is easy for the state to check whether anyone is practicing outside their given timeframe and, generally, the weather will be similar for all schools that participate. As it is now, some teams may have cold or even snow while others can wait until after spring break. Not exactly equal.

Anyone care to explain the point of this? I don't understand why the basketball has anything to do with football.

The point is some teams play basketball weeks after other teams and the longer your basketball teams is alive the better the chance your football team will get to practice in good weather on a good surface.

The point is some teams play basketball weeks after other teams and the longer your basketball teams is alive the better the chance your football team will get to practice in good weather on a good surface.
That would seem to be the result, but (forgive me if sarcasm meter is out of whack) that can't be the actual stated reason can it?

I guess I never really understood spring ball. I thought you could start after your girls and boys BBall teams were out of the tournament and had the 10 practices in 20 days scenerio, but I thought they could take those 20 days when they wanted.

 

 

 

So if your team was out of the tournament early March, if they wanted to have spring practice they could start in April if they wanted. The only thing is once they start the 20 day practice , that is when you had to get your 10 practices in 20 days.

 

I guess I was always under the impression that most football coaches wanted to get started as soon as they could. Didn't realize their was such a bad weather issue in March.

I guess I never really understood spring ball. I thought you could start after your girls and boys BBall teams were out of the tournament and had the 10 practices in 20 days scenerio, but I thought they could take those 20 days when they wanted.

 

 

 

So if your team was out of the tournament early March, if they wanted to have spring practice they could start in April if they wanted. The only thing is once they start the 20 day practice , that is when you had to get your 10 practices in 20 days.

 

I guess I was always under the impression that most football coaches wanted to get started as soon as they could. Didn't realize their was such a bad weather issue in March.

 

You MUST start the Monday after the last boys or girls basketball game. From that Monday, you have 20 days to get in 10 practices.

 

Where a major timing issue comes in is, like Holmes this past year, if your basketball team makes it to the state tournament and their tournament is last. Not only do you have the opportunity to start later, you also don't count the days you're away for spring break. I don't think Holmes started spring ball until mid April.

 

If they're having this much trouble making everyone happy, they should just abolish it. :D

You MUST start the Monday after the last boys or girls basketball game. From that Monday, you have 20 days to get in 10 practices.

 

Where a major timing issue comes in is, like Holmes this past year, if your basketball team makes it to the state tournament and their tournament is last. Not only do you have the opportunity to start later, you also don't count the days you're away for spring break. I don't think Holmes started spring ball until mid April.

 

If they're having this much trouble making everyone happy, they should just abolish it. :D

 

Thanks for clearing that up for me. My usual source of info. is out of town.:D

 

Also, I disagree with your last sentence.:D

I would think starting spring practice after the boys basketball state tourn is over would be logical - can't see waiting till girls tourn is over if they play second. Are there any schools that want to start immediately after district play (early March)? What year did spring practice begin, have the starting date guidelines changed a lot since it began?

The proposal was to increase the practice window from 15 days for 10 practices to 20 days. The current bylaw allows for 10 practices during a 15 school day window following your schools elimination from the basketball playoffs. The advantages would have been to allow teams to work around spring break schedules or bad weather. This year my school had to choose between practiceing one week take spring break week off and practice again or hope the two weeks following our spring break we had good weather with no tornados or storms. This is another example of the basketball coaches sticking it to football. Last year basketball got the seperation of football and basketball summer leagues pushed through,effectively killing 7-on-7 in June.

I don't understand why they just don't set April 15-30 as the Spring practice window. Then everyone knows when it is and it does not conflict with Basketball. The KHSAA are so anal about dates, I would figure this is what they would do.

I agree, there should be one set of dates for all teams. Like Guru stated above, hopefully better weather, not all teams have a turf field, the whold purpose of spring ball should be quality practice time.

You MUST start the Monday after the last boys or girls basketball game. From that Monday, you have 20 days to get in 10 practices.

 

Where a major timing issue comes in is, like Holmes this past year, if your basketball team makes it to the state tournament and their tournament is last. Not only do you have the opportunity to start later, you also don't count the days you're away for spring break. I don't think Holmes started spring ball until mid April.

 

If they're having this much trouble making everyone happy, they should just abolish it. :D

 

They're ya go already, stirring the pot!:thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.