16th Region Week 11 Review

Week 11 was a busy week in the 16th region as the rescheduling from “flu games” came into play. The Tomcats kept winning and is 26-0. Rowan and Boyd County both have shown they are on the top tier as well and look for the change to be the one that gives Ashland it’s first loss. Bath County continues to rise, playing very well as of late. Everyone is just looking forward to getting to the tournaments and playing the real season very soon.

1) Ashland (Season: 26-0 This week: 3-0)

A new week but more of the same results for the Tomcats this week. Ashland was 3-0 for the week with wins over Rowan County, Bath County, and Russell. Something to watch for Ashland is in recent games, the Tomcats have just looked tired. There is always the possibility that illness and such is coming into play and will correct itself but certainly something to watch for.

2) Rowan County (Season: 21-7 This week: 2-1)

Rowan County was 2-1 for week 11. The loss in the anticipated battle with AP #1 Ashland. Rowan battled but ended up with a 6-point loss. Mason Moore has been playing lights out. This week, Moore averaged 27 points and 10 rebounds a game, including a 31/10 games against Ashland.

3) Boyd County (Season: 16-11 This week: 2-0)

Boyd County was 2-0 for the week with wins over East Carter and Huntington Prep Regional team. Blake led in scoring for the week with Gibbs leading the team in rebounding this week.

4) Raceland (Season: 17-7 This week: 2-1)

Raceland started the week with a chance to end with a tie for the District #1 seed. However, Lewis County came to Ramland and got the win which put Raceland in a tie with Russell for the #2 seed. Raceland then finished the week with close contests with East Carter and Rose Hill. Raceland’s leading scorer, Kirk Pence has been sidelined the last couple of games with an ankle injury. Indications are that he is healing and they anticipate him being ready to go in time for the tournament.

5) Greenup County (Season: 18-9 This week: 2-1)

Greenup County was 2-1 for the week with wins at Rose Hill and with Symmes Valley (OH). Greenup also had a road loss to Elliott County this week. Dryden has been the rebound king this week with 18, 15, and 16 rebounds in the games this week.

6) Bath County (Season: 15-12 This week: 2-1)

Bath County was 2-1 for the week this week. Bath had wins over West Carter and Fairview. The Wildcats only loss was to AP #1 Ashland. Williams, Otis and Patton continue to show that each is capable of a big night anytime the Wildcats step on the court.

7) West Carter (Season: 14-10 This week: 1-2)

West Carter was 1-2 this week. West has a home win against Lewis County this week and road losses to Russell and Bath County. Leadingham led the Comets this week with 16 points and 8 rebounds for the week.

8) East Carter (Season: 9-13 This week: 0-3)

East Carter had a rough week this week, finishing at 0-3. East had losses to Raceland, Boyd County, and Rowan County. The Raiders are currently on a 7 game losing streak. But worthy of note, the Raiders are in a very difficult stretch on their schedule, playing the top teams in the region.

9) Russell (Season: 9-14 This week: 1-2)

Russell went 1-2 for the week. Russell had a home win against West Carter and losses to Ashland and WV large division top 5 Cabell Midland. The encouraging thing for the Devils is that they seem to be coming together and playing better basketball at the right time. A 5 point loss to Ashland was certainly better than the 40 point pounding the Tomcats game them a month ago.

10) Lewis County (Season: 12-15 This week: 1-1)

Lewis County had a very busy week 11. They went 3-1 for the week with wins at Raceland, at Fleming and home with Fairview. The Lions also lost at home to West Carter. A little accolade this week, as Lewis County’s Sam O’Keefe was named the 16th Region Mr Basketball Finalist by the KABC. O’ Keefe is a solid player and a solid young man. Congrats to him.

11) Fleming County (Season: 9-19 This week: 1-2)

Fleming County was 1-2 for the week. They had home losses to Lewis County and Sayre this week. However, what the Panthers will focus on is the breaking of the 21 games losing streak to rival Mason County. That was a big win by Fleming against a very good Mason County team.

12) Elliott County (Season: 7-12 This week: 1-1)

Elliott County was 1-1 for week 11. Elliott lost to Menifee County and then followed that up with a win against a very good Greenup County team. Whitley had quite the week scoring 30+ points in both of these games.

13) Menifee County (Season: 10-17 This week: 1-1)

Menifee County went 1-1 for the week. A home win against Elliott County and a home loss to Prestonsburg.

14) Morgan County (Season: 8-16 This week: 1-2)

Morgan County went 1-2 for the week. A win at Powell County and losses to Magoffin and Rowan County. Jake Helton led the offense for the Cougars this week, averaging 22 points a game.

15) Fairview (Season: 7-16 This week: 1-2)

Fairview was 1-2 for the week this week. The Eagles had a home win against St Patrick from Maysville. They also has losses to Lewis County and Bath County.

16) Rose Hill (Season: 4-20 This week: 1-2)

Rose Hill was 1-2 on the Week. The Royals had a win against Portsmouth Notre Dame. Their two losses were to Raceland and Greenup County. The Royals showed some good play this week. Their loss to Raceland was a 2-point loss in which the Royals put up a shot at the buzzer in an attempt to tie. In the Greenup County game, the Royals gave Greenup all they wanted for the first half until Greenup started pulling away late.

Like or dislike of Raceland is irrelevant. The 4-6 slots are pretty certain to be Raceland, Greenup, and Bath. So looking at them, Greenup beat Bath, Bath beat Raceland and Raceland is 1-1 against Greenup. A lot of evenness between these three. Looking at total records, Raceland is tied for second best record in the region. All in all, I gave Raceland a slight edge over the other 2.

Like or dislike of Raceland is irrelevant. The 4-6 slots are pretty certain to be Raceland, Greenup, and Bath. So looking at them, Greenup beat Bath, Bath beat Raceland and Raceland is 1-1 against Greenup. A lot of evenness between these three. Looking at total records, Raceland is tied for second best record in the region. All in all, I gave Raceland a slight edge over the other 2.

Can't really argue your logic, imo. I would have it about the same but could make an argument for Greenup since they won the most recent meeting against Raceland, I think that one went to OT though and was at Greenup. Raceland has the better overall record though and all three of those teams seem pretty much equal to me.

As an Ashland fan it doesn't really matter much to me but I feel like they are under utilizing Dryden. With his size and athleticism he would be hard to stop in the post in this region. Yet he spends most of his time on offense out around the top of the key.

Going forward, assuming he get college offers he likely won't be playing in the post so I get it to an extent. But he would have his way in the post against most 16th region teams, which would make Greenup County a better team than they have been thus far.

Can't really argue your logic, imo. I would have it about the same but could make an argument for Greenup since they won the most recent meeting against Raceland, I think that one went to OT though and was at Greenup. Raceland has the better overall record though and all three of those teams seem pretty much equal to me.

As an Ashland fan it doesn't really matter much to me but I feel like they are under utilizing Dryden. With his size and athleticism he would be hard to stop in the post in this region. Yet he spends most of his time on offense out around the top of the key.

Going forward, assuming he get college offers he likely won't be playing in the post so I get it to an extent. But he would have his way in the post against most 16th region teams, which would make Greenup County a better team than they have been thus far.

Totally agree and have had that exact conversation. The thing is, our region has been missing dominant big men. Any more, if a school has a 6'4" or 6'5" that can jump they are in great shape. I also think that Dryden could have a much bigger impact as a post player. With that said, I will add a disclaimer, that as a coach, I have ZERO career wins, far less than the number that Coach Amos has. :)

Totally agree and have had that exact conversation. The thing is, our region has been missing dominant big men. Any more, if a school has a 6'4" or 6'5" that can jump they are in great shape. I also think that Dryden could have a much bigger impact as a post player. With that said, I will add a disclaimer, that as a coach, I have ZERO career wins, far less than the number that Coach Amos has. :)

I'm with ya on that and if I had anyone on the Greenup County team I'd keep my mouth shut about it because I feel like parents should let the coaches do their job, without adding distractions.

It's just an observation of mine and I'm sure coach Amos has his reasoning for it, it could be as simple as letting Dryden learn the position he would likely play at the next level. I do still feel like they would have a solid shot at upsetting some teams ahead of them if they put him in the post though. But that's not my call to make lol.

I was basing that statement off of previous weeks as well. In an eleven day span Raceland lost to West at home twice and was still ranked above them.

Also Raceland is .500 in their last ten games. Three of the five wins coming from home games against Menifee, East and Rose Hill. Which all were won by five or less points.