Newport Central Catholic 8 Sayre 6

Vance Sullivan got the win. Jake Cain got the save. Sullivan hit a solo HR in the 1st, Breds down 5-1 in 5th, Luke Schmits hit a huge 3 run homer to cut it to 5-4. Jake Cain hit a towering 3 run HR in the top of the 6th to put the Breds up 7-5. Breds now face the winner of Reidland/Owensboro Catholic next Saturday in Lexington at Whitaker Field (old Applebees field). Congratulations to Coach Schulkens and his team on the big win.

Reidland beat Newport Catholic 1-0 on Friday night ...

correction--NewCath and Reidland play this coming Satruday at 1:30 p.m. at Whitaker Bank Park (Lexington). Anyone know anything about Reidland? Seems like their winning some big games, but I don't know much about their region (?). They beat Owensboro Catholic to win the A Regional Tournament. Statements from Paducah Sun say that no other team (in the final 8) will have had a tougher road to Lexington than Reidland. thoughts/comments?

Yeah, Owensboro Catholic ... I got my Catholics messed up.

I think the statement about Reidland was to the effect that there may be no bigger surprise there than them. They were the #7 seed for the regional tournament, were under .500 last year and lost their two top pitchers.