March 6, 201214 yr What causes Limbaugh and Hannity to be so popular? I seriously doubt that a large majority of the listeners are listening for "entertainment value". I really don't. My guess is that a large majority of the listeners agree with them. Maybe not his bombastic rhetoric, but his positions on issues. If my guess is correct, why are those two ultra conservative talk show hosts so popular? If I had to guess I would say that a majority of the people who listen to them both agree with them on issues as well as enjoy their style. I'll be honest...if I was a conservative I would probably listen to them both.
March 6, 201214 yr My question is...for those who don't like Rush or Hannity do you find that you agree with their take on issues?
March 6, 201214 yr What causes Limbaugh and Hannity to be so popular? I seriously doubt that a large majority of the listeners are listening for "entertainment value". I really don't. My guess is that a large majority of the listeners agree with them. Maybe not his bombastic rhetoric, but his positions on issues. If my guess is correct, why are those two ultra conservative talk show hosts so popular? I wish I knew. I do believe that there is a huge divide in this country. And these two guys do everything in their power to foster it.
March 6, 201214 yr That is disquieting. For those who claim that these guys have no influence; that they don't speak for their party/base; that they're nutjobs who are only out to make money for themselves - doesn't the sheer number of listeners speak volumes? Nobody said they don't have influence becuase obviously they do. The question is how big. From the numbers Habib posted there are 3 million non conservatives listening. There is another percentage of conservatives listening for the shock or entertainment value who agree with them in principal but don't agree with their methods. No one knows how big this part of his audience is but it is there. I also saw that last summer it was reported that Rush's audience was off by a third. If so, that would put him in the 10 million range with 2 million non conservatives listening.
March 6, 201214 yr Thought this was interesting: Sandra Fluke, Gender Reassignment, and Health Insurance | MRCTV In no way does it justify Rush, in fact this may be the best outcome she could have hoped for.
March 6, 201214 yr What causes Limbaugh and Hannity to be so popular? I seriously doubt that a large majority of the listeners are listening for "entertainment value". I really don't. My guess is that a large majority of the listeners agree with them. Maybe not his bombastic rhetoric, but his positions on issues. If my guess is correct, why are those two ultra conservative talk show hosts so popular?I fully agree. His listeners for the most part agree with him on the issues and they vote. I think this group of people is what has lead to the current state of the GOP.
March 6, 201214 yr We have had polarizing figures in politics since America started. Rush or Hannity is no different. They aren't a new breed of bias. Maybe so many people listen to them because everyone on the right only has a few handfuls of material to watch, listen or read that shares their views.
March 6, 201214 yr I would have to think that some of those 14 and 15 million listners are duplicated. At least, that's the position I'm advocating. :lol: I really hope there aren't 29 million distinct listeners among the two. :eek: As to the gender inequity, it doesn't surprise me in the least that the number is so disparate. I would have to think that the majority of even the most conservative of females isn't up to stomaching their misogynist views.
March 6, 201214 yr Thought this was interesting: Sandra Fluke, Gender Reassignment, and Health Insurance | MRCTV In no way does it justify Rush, in fact this may be the best outcome she could have hoped for. My only problem with the above link is this line: " a 30 year old long time liberal activist" Can one truly be 30 years old and a "long time liberal (or anything) activist?" That alone tells the slant of the writer of the article. It also tells that so many (not you 75 because I've never seen that out of you) will do anything to justify a "hero's" misdeeds. I can't even associate that she's been doing it for 10 years but that's not longtime in my aged book.
March 6, 201214 yr If anyone wants a laugh pull up "The View" video where they were discussing Laura Ingram being called the same thing by Ed Shultz. Then pull up where they were discussing this incident.
March 6, 201214 yr My only problem with the above link is this line: " a 30 year old long time liberal activist" Can one truly be 30 years old and a "long time liberal (or anything) activist?" That alone tells the slant of the writer of the article. It also tells that so many (not you 75 because I've never seen that out of you) will do anything to justify a "hero's" misdeeds. I can't even associate that she's been doing it for 10 years but that's not longtime in my aged book. Shoot, I don't even consider her lifespan "long time". However, there was some interesting background to be had by drilling in to the various links. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since no one testifies without being checked out. There's a reason the R's didn't want her testimony while the D's did.
March 6, 201214 yr Because Maher is a comedian on a network that allows you to say whatever you want. Maher doesn't need sponsors to finance his show. Maher isn't paid to be a conservative radio icon or a liberal radio icon. Maher is paid to be a comedian. Limbaugh is paid to be a conservative radio icon. If Maher was still on ABC he likely would have been fired but he took his act to HBO and he is uncensored there. Period. I can't believe this even needs to be explained.I can't even believe those are acceptable reasons for you. 1) Fewer listeners/viewers. 2) Maher is supposed to be comedian. 3) This was "new meat." Palin is tired news. 4) This incident is part of the topic of the hour. 1) Shouldn't make a bit of difference. 2) They're both nothing more than entertainers. 3) Not an excuse. 4) That one I'll give you, but Maher's comments shouldn't have been ignored to the degree they were.
March 6, 201214 yr That is disquieting. For those who claim that these guys have no influence; that they don't speak for their party/base; that they're nutjobs who are only out to make money for themselves - doesn't the sheer number of listeners speak volumes?No. I know a lot of people that listen to him that listen merely for the entertainment of him (their words). I never found him entertaining, but then again, there are a lot of popular musicians and actors I don't find entertaining.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.