March 6, 201214 yr My question is...for those who don't like Rush or Hannity do you find that you agree with their take on issues?Depends, I don't listen really so I don't know what most of their take on the issues are. I'm sure I'd agree on some and disagree on some. Listening to Hannity talk drives me nuts, he sounds too much like Tennessee Tuxedo, so I couldn't take him serious from the start.
March 6, 201214 yr That is disquieting. For those who claim that these guys have no influence; that they don't speak for their party/base; that they're nutjobs who are only out to make money for themselves - doesn't the sheer number of listeners speak volumes? That's been my point all along.
March 6, 201214 yr I saw an article where Rush was saying it so I thought it was their internal numbers. Are they the biggest individuals? I saw where NPR was at 27 million so I assume they are the biggest network? That same list I'm citing from — Talkers Magazine, which compiles the Arbitron ratings — has Morning Edition and All Things Considered at 13 million apiece daily. RM, on your other comment earlier, I would bet that in both cases — the Hannity and Rush audiences, as well as the NPR audiences — there is a lot of sharing. No way there are that many distinct listeners.
March 6, 201214 yr That's been my point all along.Does it concern you that the media (in general) is left leaning? How about Hollywood and the vast majority of what comes out of it is extremely left leaning? How about the majority of musicians being very leftwing?
March 6, 201214 yr Does it concern you that the media (in general) is left leaning? How about Hollywood and the vast majority of what comes out of it is extremely left leaning? How about the majority of musicians being very leftwing? Somewhat. But I am capable of critical thinking and am able to read between the lines. I would argue, however, that there are more than their fair share of mainstream media outlets that are conservative in their leanings — take small-town newspapers, for instance — that balance things out.
March 6, 201214 yr Somewhat. But I am capable of critical thinking and am able to read between the lines.But what about all the people that aren't? I see it as no different than Rush or Hannity listeners. I think most are like you in that aspect.
March 6, 201214 yr Since Maher is a $1 million donor to Obama’s Super PAC, maybe Obama’s team should return the money considering what Maher said about Palin, Bachmann and Santorum’s wife....
March 6, 201214 yr That same list I'm citing from — Talkers Magazine, which compiles the Arbitron ratings — has Morning Edition and All Things Considered at 13 million apiece daily. RM, on your other comment earlier, I would bet that in both cases — the Hannity and Rush audiences, as well as the NPR audiences — there is a lot of sharing. No way there are that many distinct listeners. I am not doubting the numbers, but what are those numbers based off of (5 minute listens, etc?)? 15,000,000 is 5% of America's population. That is a staggering number considering it airs mid-day. I honestly did not know that many people listened to the radio.
March 6, 201214 yr I can't even believe those are acceptable reasons for you. 1) Shouldn't make a bit of difference. 2) They're both nothing more than entertainers. 3) Not an excuse. 4) That one I'll give you, but Maher's comments shouldn't have been ignored to the degree they were. Just gave my opinion as to why no fuss was made over it. However, Tracy Morgan is a comedian and GLAAD made a huge deal out of his anti-gay comments so maybe this is an example of the liberal media run amok. I don't like Rush but his comments really didn't bother me. I expect it from him.
March 6, 201214 yr Since Maher is a $1 million donor to Obama’s Super PAC, maybe Obama’s team should return the money considering what Maher said about Palin, Bachmann and Santorum’s wife.... Only if Santorum, Romney and Gingrich give back money from donors who have said off color things about Obama. Of is it only an issue of we find out about the off color statements?
March 6, 201214 yr I am not doubting the numbers, but what are those numbers based off of (5 minute listens, etc?)? 15,000,000 is 5% of America's population. That is a staggering number considering it airs mid-day. I honestly did not know that many people listened to the radio. I think the measurements are in 15-minute increments, but someone such as GT might be able to explain the methodology better than I can.
March 6, 201214 yr But what about all the people that aren't? I see it as no different than Rush or Hannity listeners. I think most are like you in that aspect. Don't know what to tell you there. There's a lot of evidence out there, however, of my long-held theory that two-thirds of the American population is too stupid to live. But that's a whole 'nuther argument.
March 6, 201214 yr Somewhat. But I am capable of critical thinking and am able to read between the lines. I would argue, however, that there are more than their fair share of mainstream media outlets that are conservative in their leanings — take small-town newspapers, for instance — that balance things out. I disagree. You've been talking about numbers and audience. Take just the LA and New York Times as examples. How many small town conservative papers have the audience that they have? You are more knowledgeable of print media then I am. How many conservative leaning newspapers have the same readership as the NYT? If you really believe that the small-town conservative papers balance out the liberal leanings of papers like the NYT then wouldn't small audience liberal hosts like Olberman and Maddow balance out Limbaugh?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.