March 5, 201214 yr Insurance companies should cover whatever they choose to. It shouldn't be up to "us" to decide what they cover. If an insurance provider chooses to cover contraceptives and not Viagara, that's their choice, as is the reverse.I agree in principle but the problem is when it comes to health insurance you don't necessarily have the free market drivers like other service industries.
March 5, 201214 yr I agree in principle but the problem is when it comes to health insurance you don't necessarily have the free market drivers like other service industries. They need to open up state boundaries and let companies compete nationwide vs each other instead of different states having different laws.
March 5, 201214 yr ^ That will start happening in 2014, but it will be up to each state to decide if they want to open up their insurance borders.
March 5, 201214 yr ^ That will start happening in 2014, but it will be up to each state to decide if they want to open up their insurance borders. That's the key part. If they don't it will mean nothing.
March 5, 201214 yr That's the key part. If they don't it will mean nothing. Agreed. I think most will though unless companies lobby states to prevent it.
March 5, 201214 yr Agreed. I think most will though unless companies lobby states to prevent it. I'm sure that started long ago. All the big dogs will be doing everything they can to prevent this from happening.
March 5, 201214 yr DANG - stay away from the P&R forum for a few days and look what happens - 10 pages on Rush Limbaugh! At this point there's no way I can read each post, but some themes I picked up & my thoughts on them: 1) Impact of Rush on the news/radio industry: Rush almost singlehandedly altered the dissemination of news in this country forever. Love him or hate him, the impact he had on the movement away from the mainstream media simply cannot be overstated. You may not think what he provides is news, but honestly, it doesn't matter what you think, it only matters what his listeners think, and there's a whoooooooole lot of listeners. 2) Impact of Rush on politics: Again, the impact can almost not be overstated. Nobody from either side has more captured the listening audience of their political affiliation more so than Limbaugh. Again, love him or hate him, but there's been no better mass-communicator since 1970 with the exception of Ronald Reagan. 3) If you get your health insurance through your employer, it is your employer who decides what will be covered, not the insurance company. The insurer will cover virtually anything that your employer is willing to pay them to. Don't like co-pay rates, talk to your HR department, not your insurance company. 4) Obamacare makes what is covered in anyone's insurance policy the business and interest of everyone else because in one way or the other they are paying for it! Every mandatory coverage item from Obamacare impacts what insurance costs everyone else. Take this analogy: one person decides he doesn't feel safe in his car & want's the gov't to raise side impact crash worthiness ratings. The gov't agrees, and passes corresponding legislation - or better yet - regulation. It's not only the worry-wart's car that now costs more money, every buyer's costs more. Sure we're all safer, but why should I have to pay more for things in a car I don't value just because Mr. Worry was able to convince a bunch of unelected bureaucrats that it was a good idea?
March 5, 201214 yr You said disciple. Not me. I simply said Rush is the voice for the right and when people agree and say things he has said they become an extension of him. Intentional or not. You tell some right leaning people that you agree with some things that Obama has said and you'll be branded a socialist like the rest of us. You better watch who you say that to. :lol::lol: I doubt that will happen, but never say never. I still disagree about Rush being the voice of the right. He's no more the voice for the right than, say, Keith Olbermann is the voice for the left.
March 5, 201214 yr I'm still trying to understand what's confusing here. No one's asking for someone else to pay for it. People are asking for it to be covered under insurance. Absolutely they are. That's how insurance works. You spread out the risk by making a larger number of people absorb the costs. Any mandate like this will make premiums for everyone go up. Personally I have no problem if an insurance company covers these drugs and I also have no problem if they don't. I do have a problem when any government entity mandates that a company must "provide" something. The insurance plan at my company has a very strict formulary of prescription medications that they will cover. I can opt to get a medication that is not on the formulary but I pay more. I know that going in. If having these medications covered is so important then Maybe they should ask if they are covered and use that as a basis of taking a job with that company.
March 5, 201214 yr Is Bill Maher the "voice of the left"? Think we can get a 10 page thread of "righteous indignation" started over some of his comments about conservative women? Here's an example. LINK Sorry the link won't pass the word filter. change the **** in the web address to the offending word used by Limbaugh and you can see what I linked to.
March 5, 201214 yr :lol: I doubt that will happen, but never say never. I still disagree about Rush being the voice of the right. He's no more the voice for the right than, say, Keith Olbermann is the voice for the left. Rush's 15 million daily listeners v. Olbermann's maybe 1 million daily viewers says that's a bad comparison on your part.
March 5, 201214 yr Author I firmly believe that Rush and Imus and KO et al can say what they want and not have to apologize. If it's their opinion and they want to state it then it's between them and their boss. I think he went way over the line but I'm not his core audience so my opinion doesn't have much impact. Advertisers are the ones who have to make a decision. He's lost a handful so far and Sears just became the latest to bolt.
March 5, 201214 yr Author As far as the impact of Rush I'm not sure if Fox News would be where they are today without Rush starting the train rolling.
March 5, 201214 yr As far as the impact of Rush I'm not sure if Fox News would be where they are today without Rush starting the train rolling. How so?
March 5, 201214 yr Author Peter Gabriel made a public statement denouncing the fact that Rush used his song "Sledgehammer" in the background while making his comments.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.