Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Houston 31 Cincinnati 10

Featured Replies

Nice season for the Bengals. They've got the makings of something special if these young guys on offense progress. They could be an elite offense in a couple of years with Dalton and the receivers around him.

 

There's a lot of reason for optimism. I wouldn't have a problem with the Bengals drafting a RB in the first round if the right guy is available. The passing game is set, but I think they're in a position to draft the best available player from the other positions that they need to improve. And, with the new salary cap requirements coming into play soon, they will have to spend.

  • Replies 197
  • Views 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice season for the Bengals. They've got the makings of something special if these young guys on offense progress. They could be an elite offense in a couple of years with Dalton and the receivers around him.

 

There's a lot of reason for optimism. I wouldn't have a problem with the Bengals drafting a RB in the first round if the right guy is available. The passing game is set, but I think they're in a position to draft the best available player from the other positions that they need to improve. And, with the new salary cap requirements coming into play soon, they will have to spend.

 

Now we're hearing a sensible evaluation. I'd like to see a couple of positions addressed with FAs. Something the Bengals have not been great at doing in the past. Forte is out there. How about Ben Tate?

Guess you'd rather have Gabbert?

 

No. Not at all. Gabbert went ahead of him because of arm strength though. Arm strength isn't the only determining factor of a good QB but it sure is nice to have.

Guess you would have canned Aikman after a 1-15 start?

 

I never said can him. I just questioned his arm strength being good enough to win big.

I think Dalton is a good quarterback, especially for a rookie. However, you keep mentioning that he has put up better numbers than a lot of the star quarterbacks in the league did as rookies. I do think that you are missing something in that comparison : Right now the league's rules are much more slanted to promote the passing game than ever before. This group of rookies should look great in comparison to their predecessors. Cam Newton is a great example of that. What kind of numbers do you think Manning would have put up under these rules?

 

Also I think part of his struggles have come from teams getting a "book"on him as to which throws he can or cannot hurt them with or which ones he is hesitant to make. If it is a matter of experience or confidence then I agree that a full offseason will help greatly. If it is a matter of arm strength preventing him from making the throws it will be very apparent. I think he is a quarterback that the Bengals can win with even if he isn't quite an All-Pro.

 

Couldn't have said anything better than this. My gut feeling is they know he can't hurt them with certain throws and that's why he struggled late. I hope I'm wrong in the end.

"Big Arm" for a QB was one of the top 10 NFL myths recently ranked. All these guys have sufficient enough arm strength if they make it to the pro level.

I never said can him. I just questioned his arm strength being good enough to win big.

 

His arm strength is not why they havent won much the last few weeks. Its also not why they were winning either.

I think giving up big plays and not scoring touchdowns in the redzone have done them in.

I never said can him. I just questioned his arm strength being good enough to win big.

 

So you're convinced a QB has to have a big arm to win big?

"Big Arm" for a QB was one of the top 10 NFL myths recently ranked. All these guys have sufficient enough arm strength if they make it to the pro level.

 

Most of us know that...

So you're convinced a QB has to have a big arm to win big?

 

Absolutely. The rules are in place to help passers.

"Big Arm" for a QB was one of the top 10 NFL myths recently ranked. All these guys have sufficient enough arm strength if they make it to the pro level.

 

So some QB's don't have better arms than others allowing throws to different parts of the field or at the very least throw better to certain parts of the field?

I think giving up big plays and not scoring touchdowns in the redzone have done them in.

 

Agreed. Why are they so bad in the redzone?

So some QB's don't have better arms than others allowing throws to different parts of the field or at the very least throw better to certain parts of the field?
Obviously there are different strength levels of QB arms. I do not think that it is as big of a factor as you make it to be though. Of players that have failed at the QB position, how often do you hear analysts say, "He just did not have the arm strength to cut it in the NFL"? I never hear it.
Obviously there are different strength levels of QB arms. I do not think that it is as big of a factor as you make it to be though. Of players that have failed at the QB position, how often do you hear analysts say, "He just did not have the arm strength to cut it in the NFL"? I never hear it.

 

I'm not saying he will be a dud. I'm saying it will be hard to win big because he can't make some throws that others can make.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.