January 9, 201214 yr Yeah but FC and some others fail to see that Dalton's (and all quarterback's numbers) are inflated with the current rule system. The rookies should be doing better than ever before. While they are inflated I don't think they are inflated that much. I think you're overstating it a bit. Here's a chart of the average passing and rushing yards over time with an indication of when the various rules changes took place. I also think I remember seeing stat during the Brees record game that showed QBs this year were averaging about 40 yards more a game than the year Marino originally broke the record.
January 9, 201214 yr While they are inflated I don't think they are inflated that much. I think you're overstating it a bit. Here's a chart of the average passing and rushing yards over time with an indication of when the various rules changes took place. I also think I remember seeing stat during the Brees record game that showed QBs this year were averaging about 40 yards more a game than the year Marino originally broke the record. That's still 640 yards over a season. Also what about completion percentages? Dalton's was only 58% and interception rates before receivers were off limits after 5 yards?
January 9, 201214 yr While they are inflated I don't think they are inflated that much. I think you're overstating it a bit. Here's a chart of the average passing and rushing yards over time with an indication of when the various rules changes took place. I also think I remember seeing stat during the Brees record game that showed QBs this year were averaging about 40 yards more a game than the year Marino originally broke the record. I looked it up. During Marino's record setting season the league completion percentage was 56.4% and the interception percentage was 4.1%. In 2011 the league completion percentage was 60.1% and the interception percentage was 2.9%.
January 9, 201214 yr That's still 640 yards over a season. Also what about completion percentages? Dalton's was only 58% and interception rates before receivers were off limits after 5 yards? What?
January 9, 201214 yr I am not saying he is a lock to be great. However the guy we been arguing with sure has made it seem like he thinks it is a lock that he won't do well. Which makes no sense, because there is more reason to believe he will do well. He had no offseason, 11 games against top 10 defenses, a rookie WR, and a WR in his first year starting, a 2nd year TE, and a rookie OC. Yet with all that he put up decent numbers for a rookie, 5 4th quarter comebacks, and a trip to the playoffs. He made some really good throws this year, and some bad ones. Some good decisions, and some bad decisions. That stuff is going to happen with a rookie, but as I said before there is more reason at this moment to believe he will do well. Especially with his skill set he has as being known as a smart QB, a leader, a guy who anticipates routes, and being an accurate passer. Those are the things he is known for, and something with his accuracy should go up with the experience, as it does with most guys when they get experience. As long as Gruden stays he will be in his 2nd year in the system, his skill guys will have more experience too, and hopefully the line should be better if they address it. There is more reason to be positive about the future he has than not. This will be something we can have a better read on after his third season. Again with putting things in my mouth. I'm sick of it. Have I not said he has other great things about him? Did I not say he seems to be a great leader? Two months ago wasn't I arguing he deserved OROY before he started fading and Newton continued getting better? I didn't like Newton that much coming out of school. Two months ago I would have rather had AJ GReen and Dalton to Newton going forward. After watching Dalton regress against D's like Pitt, Houston and Baltimore that will probably all make the playoffs again next year I think maybe I over rated Dalton a little because he beat up on a bad schedule. There are throws to the side lines that I saw him miss more than I would like the last 6 games. His numbers against good teams were very bad to absolutely terrible for the most part.
January 9, 201214 yr What? I was saying that 40 yards a game adds up to about 640 yards per game more over a full season for today's quarterbacks. That's a significant amount. Also the completion percentage is higher across the league while the interception percentage is lower as well.
January 10, 201214 yr Jay Gruden said tonight that his knock on Dalton is deep ball accuracy. Pretty fair IMO. He says it needs to improve and it will. I hope he's right.
January 10, 201214 yr Author Again with putting things in my mouth. I'm sick of it. Have I not said he has other great things about him? Did I not say he seems to be a great leader? Two months ago wasn't I arguing he deserved OROY before he started fading and Newton continued getting better? I didn't like Newton that much coming out of school. Two months ago I would have rather had AJ GReen and Dalton to Newton going forward. After watching Dalton regress against D's like Pitt, Houston and Baltimore that will probably all make the playoffs again next year I think maybe I over rated Dalton a little because he beat up on a bad schedule. There are throws to the side lines that I saw him miss more than I would like the last 6 games. His numbers against good teams were very bad to absolutely terrible for the most part. Which if you would have made those arguments in the post's I just quoted I would have went a long with you. However your statements and how you have said them have made it sound like you think he would not ever do well, because you are convinced he has a weak arm. The arguments you presented above I can agree with. He definitely didn't look as good against those defenses, and why they lost. Which gets back to him being a rookie, a rookie is going to have hard times against them. Shoot veterans have tough times against those defenses usually. Tebow was able to have success agaisnt Pittsburgh because they were daring him to beat them with the pass, and for the first time in his career he actually did that all game long besides in the last 5 minutes of games. Dalton is a rookie and he had his good and bad moments. However he had more good moments to think he will have a good career, rather than bad. Especially when you consider the fact he played with an experienced and young offense, a rookie OC, and had no off season to work with the team or the OC. After his third year we all will truly be able to have a better evaluation of him. Jay Gruden said tonight that his knock on Dalton is deep ball accuracy. Pretty fair IMO. He says it needs to improve and it will. I hope he's right.
January 10, 201214 yr Which if you would have made those arguments in the post's I just quoted I would have went a long with you. However your statements and how you have said them have made it sound like you think he would not ever do well, because you are convinced he has a weak arm. The arguments you presented above I can agree with. He definitely didn't look as good against those defenses, and why they lost. Which gets back to him being a rookie, a rookie is going to have hard times against them. Shoot veterans have tough times against those defenses usually. Tebow was able to have success agaisnt Pittsburgh because they were daring him to beat them with the pass, and for the first time in his career he actually did that all game long besides in the last 5 minutes of games. Dalton is a rookie and he had his good and bad moments. However he had more good moments to think he will have a good career, rather than bad. Especially when you consider the fact he played with an experienced and young offense, a rookie OC, and had no off season to work with the team or the OC. After his third year we all will truly be able to have a better evaluation of him. I never said he wouldn't be good. I said he isn't that good right now. There are many positives to take away from this year. Red Zone offense and deep throws aren't the positives. If he improves in those areas, which you would think he will because he was a rookie, that will help. He better start to figure it out soon because I don't care what anyone says next years schedule is a nightmare compared to this years.
January 10, 201214 yr ^I'm not so sure about the schedule....Washington is a cupcake, so is Cleveland 2x, KC should be a win, so should Jacksonville and Miami. That's 6 games that should be sure fire wins. Then you've got home games against Oakland, Denver, NYG, Dallas, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh, and road games in San Diego and Philly. I think they, assuming improvement, should be able to at worst split those home games. They're looking at 9-10 wins again IMO.
January 10, 201214 yr I never said he wouldn't be good. I said he isn't that good right now. There are many positives to take away from this year. Red Zone offense and deep throws aren't the positives. If he improves in those areas, which you would think he will because he was a rookie, that will help. He better start to figure it out soon because I don't care what anyone says next years schedule is a nightmare compared to this years. Full off season. He'll be fine. They need to get some better OLinemen in front of him, figure out RB, and upgrade LBs and DBs. You're really way off on what ails this team.
January 10, 201214 yr Author I never said he wouldn't be good. I said he isn't that good right now. There are many positives to take away from this year. Red Zone offense and deep throws aren't the positives. If he improves in those areas, which you would think he will because he was a rookie, that will help. He better start to figure it out soon because I don't care what anyone says next years schedule is a nightmare compared to this years. ^I'm not so sure about the schedule....Washington is a cupcake, so is Cleveland 2x, KC should be a win, so should Jacksonville and Miami. That's 6 games that should be sure fire wins. Then you've got home games against Oakland, Denver, NYG, Dallas, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh, and road games in San Diego and Philly. I think they, assuming improvement, should be able to at worst split those home games. They're looking at 9-10 wins again IMO. Which it is very reasonable to assume a rookie will get better. Especially a rookie who never has had an off season with the team. Doing what he did this was impressive. As as Ukmustang said next years schedule is not this tough as can be schedule. I admit it will be tougher than this years, however it is a winnable schedule. Actually at the moment this years schedule had more games against winning teams than next years schedule presents if basing it on this years records. Only 5 games are against teams with winning records, and 4 of those games come against teams they played this year in the Ravens and Steelers. So assuming that they do improve next year, which a young team with more experience should improve. Then next year is a year they very well could do well again. They will need to learn how to at least split with the likes of the Ravens and Steelers though.
January 10, 201214 yr Author Full off season. He'll be fine. They need to get some better OLinemen in front of him, figure out RB, and upgrade LBs and DBs. You're really way off on what ails this team. Interior offensive lineman and finding a playmaker in the secondary are no doubt the biggest needs to address. Then if they can get better at the LB and RB spot to it will also help. This offseason can shape the direction this franchise will be going in for many years. They have a lot of draft picks, and Mike Brown is going to be forced to spend money in free agency. Which we have to think the Bengals might actually be attractive to free agents for a change, since they do have a young talented team. It should be in interesting off season and draft.
January 10, 201214 yr Full off season. He'll be fine. They need to get some better OLinemen in front of him, figure out RB, and upgrade LBs and DBs. You're really way off on what ails this team. Mark Barron, Janoris Jenkins, Cordy Glenn, and Alfonzo Dennard are some names to keep an eye on. Two of them IMO will be Bengals 1st round picks.
January 10, 201214 yr Full off season. He'll be fine. They need to get some better OLinemen in front of him, figure out RB, and upgrade LBs and DBs. You're really way off on what ails this team. When have I ever said what ails this team or the only thing that ails this team is Dalton doesn't have a strong enough arm?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.