Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What Makes a Person Racist

Featured Replies

  • Author
I grew up in Northern Alabama in the 60s. We had White/Black neighborhoods, stores, schools, sports programs, they just didn't mix at all. But we were so poor we were next to a black neighborhood and I played ball with black kids. Made friends with them and respected them and this helped me as I grew into a young man.

 

I've been around racist people all my life the railroad was known for a white man's job but the blacks did the harder jobs. Racist people in the old days was huge where I worked. Some of my best friends were black and still until this day. People being racist of some form will never end, and you can find it all thru the Bible both New and Old Testaments.

 

I did to be honest had some issues with the mix marriages, because the bible spoke against it. Gentiles and Jews just didn't mix and nations didn't either look at the story of Samson. But if God is Ok with it so am I.

 

 

My wife and I are grateful for your change of heart. :D

  • Replies 99
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would assume so. :idunno:

 

If that's his reasoning then it's not racist. It's "style."

So you can see why non-black people can jump to the conclusions they do? I do not believe a lot of non-black folks understand the cultural pressures of being black. And that starts from a very young age does it not? From my perspective, race means a lot more to black people than it does to others. That is not meant in a derogatory way, just a cultural difference that I believe you just eluded to. Hope I am saying that right. I know what I am trying to say but it may not be conveyed properly on here.

 

I think that is generally because white people have a very limited exposure to racism. Certainly white people can be the victims of racism on an individual level, but as the dominant, majority ethnic group in our country it's almost impossible for that to happen on a much broader, societal level. I think that's why it might never cross a white person's mind, whereas it might be an ever present thought in the backs of black people's minds. From my perspective, racism is something much deeper, more systemic in society than simply a collection of bigots within each racial group. When the country has been more predominately white since its inception, and since that group has, until the very recent history, used the government and laws to overtly discriminate against other races, it’s very difficult to claim that racism affects white people equally, in either degree or pervasiveness. Remnants of that can be found in all sorts of things, from "inner city" issues, to pay equality, to even the racially-tinged language people use.

 

I also think there is a fear of culpability that causes some white people to be dismissive of racism. I think there is a belief that an acknowledgement of racism in society is somehow an admission of guilt and people are then very defensive about issues of race and racism.

In fairness to PP92's friend, how many mobile/running QBs (put aside the passing) have ever won a title? 0

 

Does Steve Young count or is it just current QB's? Steve Young was the complete package.....Passing/Running!

Does Steve Young count or is it just current QB's? Steve Young was the complete package.....Passing/Running!
Steve Young won because he learned to become a GREAT passer.... most efficient of all time, at one point at least. He became a passing QB that could run. I never get the sense Vick and others compared to him are of that same ilk. They are run first guys and that skill far supersedes their passing ability.
  • Author

Vick doesn't run like he used to. He definitely passes the ball a lot better now also. Of course....he won more when he ran more. Go figure.

Is it racist for me to say that black people are superior athletes? I would be putting them on a higher pedistal when it came to athletics but I am separating a persons ability based on color or ethnicity. Does that make it a racist thought? Is there acceptable and not acceptable racism?

Vick doesn't run like he used to. He definitely passes the ball a lot better now also. Of course....he won more when he ran more. Go figure.
I still do not think he is fully comfortable in that role. It is an entirely different game for him which is why I never bought in to the Vick hype coming in to this season.

Bottomline: I will always judge a man by the conduct of his character than the color of his skin, whether he is white, black, red, or yellow.

I think calling it "favoritism" is just a way of putting lipstick on descrimination.

Is it racist for me to say that black people are superior athletes? I would be putting them on a higher pedistal when it came to athletics but I am separating a persons ability based on color or ethnicity. Does that make it a racist thought? Is there acceptable and not acceptable racism?

 

Interesting question.

 

I don't think you are racist because, generally speaking, I have that same opinion.

Is it racist for someone to not want there child to marry someone of another race?

  • Author
Is it racist for someone to not want there child to marry someone of another race?

 

Depends. It definitely comes off as racist. How are they in general towards the other race?

In my mind racism is a form of hatred. Doesn't matter your color it is a hatred. Which is in part why I got a kick out of people saying certain pro athletes are racist, some may be but I feel the general athlete is just proud of their background and wants to show people its not where you come from but who you are that defines you. Unfortunately some of that gets lost in translation and I feel sometime it gets lost even by the people trying to put out the message. I don't feel in my heart I've ever been guilty of racism but feel I have totally been guilty of being biased or unfair. I've said words that stuck and were learned and have nothing to do with race but are just assaulting words.

 

I would love for their to be a world where race didn't matter because I don't believe it should. I hate racism but in the same token I will admit that I use words that aren't proper, but mostly because more proper words haven't been invented yet. I can't help it I call people crackers all the time.

Depends. It definitely comes off as racist. How are they in general towards the other race?
A guy I work with said he wouldn't want his daughter to marry a black guy. I told him it's hard to justify that as not be some what racist and his reason was he didn't want her subjected to the socialty issues that come with it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.