December 29, 201114 yr The Stephen A. Smith thread in Pro Sports has spawned a discussion on racism. Some believe Stephen A. Smith is racist. Others don't. I don't think he is racist but I do think he shows favoritism towards black athletes. I also think racism is hard to prove without video proof, audio proof or written proof. Of course, what I think makes a person racist may not be what someone else thinks makes a person racist. Below is my most recent post in the Stephen A. thread. Nobody ever takes those black people with blanket claims seriously. I've never seen anyone of any color make a blanket claim without getting eyerolls from people of all colors. Do you take those black people seriously that cry racism frequently? You shouldn't. 90% of my black friends wouldn't. You shouldn't either. Those are people who always have an excuse for their own failures in life. Plus racism is the hardest thing to prove without blatant hardcore proof. Unless you have that proof on video tape, audio tape or written down it will never be proven anyways. It'll be words taken out of context. I come from the school of thought that says if someone is racist it will be proven eventually. You can't hide racism. It always comes out. So now I ask....what makes a person racist?
December 29, 201114 yr Are you asking what "makes" someone racist as in their parents/ their religion/ their hometown? Or are you asking what do I have to see in someone before I declare them to be racist?
December 29, 201114 yr Author Are you asking what "makes" someone racist as in their parents/ their religion/ their hometown? Or are you asking what do I have to see in someone before I declare them to be racist? What do you have to see in someone to make them a racist in your eyes is my question.
December 29, 201114 yr What do you have to see in someone to make them a racist in your eyes is my question. There are degrees of racism as well as conscious vs subconscious. Some people make racist comments while a)not realizing it and b)believing just the opposite. There is much more of it out there than people want to admit because it makes us feel better to believe otherwise. I do believe it is diminishing with each generation. I realize that doesn't answer the question but I thought I'd throw a few nuggets out there to chew on.
December 29, 201114 yr I think calling someone a racist is very hard to do. We can't read minds and there are very few people who will admit to it, even if it's how they truly feel. I rely more on calling people out for what they say that is racist. Words are immutable and provide all the impetus we need for a conversation on the topic.
December 29, 201114 yr Personally, in order for someone to be racist, they have to know they're being racist. If that makes any sense. I'm not sure you can classify a young white male who has had virtually zero exposure to people of another race as racist even if they have racist beliefs. I would say they're ignorant, not necessarily racist. So I guess to answer your question, I would consider someone racist if they were exposed to people of different races on a frequent basis and were more openly disrespectful and discriminate towards those races than their own.
December 29, 201114 yr What do you have to see in someone to make them a racist in your eyes is my question. In my experience, it's more about what I hear than what I see. Their speech usually betrays them...eventually.
December 29, 201114 yr What do you have to see in someone to make them a racist in your eyes is my question. I am interested to see everyone's opinion. I am unclear myself. I know that sometimes when a person is unfamilar with someone from a different race's habits, clothes, even vocabulary, it may be hard to hide that they are uncomfortable. That could be interpreted as racism. But in my opinion that is not. I would say that it is blatant and obvious favortism to one person or group of people based only on their race. I am ashamed to say that some of the people in my life that I love dearly, are racists or predjudiced, or both? Even as a young child, I would argue and let these people know that I did not appreciate their ignorant comments.
December 29, 201114 yr Author There are degrees of racism as well as conscious vs subconscious. Some people make racist comments while a)not realizing it and b)believing just the opposite. There is much more of it out there than people want to admit because it makes us feel better to believe otherwise. I do believe it is diminishing with each generation. I realize that doesn't answer the question but I thought I'd throw a few nuggets out there to chew on. I agree. The subconscious vs conscious is an interesting degree of racism. At some point the subconscious has to meet the conscious. What happens then is the unknown except to that person. I also agree that it is diminishing with each generation.
December 29, 201114 yr Culture differences can often lead to problematic views, especially in older generations. The inability or unwillingness to understand what's different from their norm is often transparent. Doesn't always mean racist, but often does.
December 29, 201114 yr I do believe it is diminishing with each generation. Agreed. I also believe that it can diminish within the individual as well. I know several senior citizens who have changed their attitudes on this topic.
December 29, 201114 yr Author I wouldn't call someone who hasn't been around other races a racist unless they were making outlandish statements. There are many many people who are never around a different race that grow up racist and continue to live in a racist manner. I'd say there are just as many racists like that in the inner city as there are in the mountains.
December 29, 201114 yr Author So I guess to answer your question, I would consider someone racist if they were exposed to people of different races on a frequent basis and were more openly disrespectful and discriminate towards those races than their own. Those are the people that baffle me the most. Have ALL their experiences with a different race been that bad that they are that racist?
December 29, 201114 yr Author In my experience, it's more about what I hear than what I see. Their speech usually betrays them...eventually. Oh yeah. You can't hide racism. If it is in the heart it will be exposed eventually.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.