December 29, 201114 yr I wouldn't call someone who hasn't been around other races a racist unless they were making outlandish statements. There are many many people who are never around a different race that grow up racist and continue to live in a racist manner. I'd say there are just as many racists like that in the inner city as there are in the mountains.Agreed.
December 29, 201114 yr Those are the people that baffle me the most. Have ALL their experiences with a different race been that bad that they are that racist? Yeah, I'm perplexed by them as well. Somewhat along those same lines, as I've stated on here before, I previously had a preconceived opinion of Muslims that was not flattering at all, and I'm ashamed that I did. Then I became friends with a Muslim girl, whom I found to be no different than you or I, aside from what religion she practiced. Completely changed my opinion of Muslims. Point being, I fully believe that people who have no exposure to those of another race/belief, can and usually do change once they're exposed to them. JMO. :idunno:
December 29, 201114 yr Agreed. I also believe that it can diminish within the individual as well. I know several senior citizens who have changed their attitudes on this topic. I bet you could take the vast majority of people that are indeed racist and get them to soften their views once you introduced them to those they are racist against. Education wipes out ignorance.
December 29, 201114 yr Author I am interested to see everyone's opinion. I am unclear myself. I know that sometimes when a person is unfamilar with someone from a different race's habits, clothes, even vocabulary, it may be hard to hide that they are uncomfortable. That could be interpreted as racism. But in my opinion that is not. I would say that it is blatant and obvious favortism to one person or group of people based only on their race. I am ashamed to say that some of the people in my life that I love dearly, are racists or predjudiced, or both? Even as a young child, I would argue and let these people know that I did not appreciate their ignorant comments. I still think favoritism and racism are different. For example..... One of my closest friends is a white male who despises black quarterbacks. He will tell you that a black man shouldn't play quarterback for a myriad of reasons. I do know he is not a racist person. Obviously. However, he is firm in his opinion and does not like black quarterbacks. Is that favoritism or racism? Seeing as how I know him better than anyone on this planet I say favoritism. Since I know him and we have talked about almost every subject there is to talk about I have a whole new take on racism. If Lee Corso said what my friend says I would still take it as favoritism but I can definitely see how it could be construed as racist. When my friend and I have these deep discussions we make sure no one is around who would be offended because both of our statements could be construed as racism. We tend to go overboard sometimes and we have similar senses of humor but neither of us are racist.
December 29, 201114 yr I still think favoritism and racism are different. For example..... One of my closest friends is a white male who despises black quarterbacks. He will tell you that a black man shouldn't play quarterback for a myriad of reasons. I do know he is not a racist person. Obviously. However, he is firm in his opinion and does not like black quarterbacks. Is that favoritism or racism? Seeing as how I know him better than anyone on this planet I say favoritism. Since I know him and we have talked about almost every subject there is to talk about I have a whole new take on racism. If Lee Corso said what my friend says I would still take it as favoritism but I can definitely see how it could be construed as racist. When my friend and I have these deep discussions we make sure no one is around because both of our statements could be construed as racism. I would say your friend falls under the "racist" category.
December 29, 201114 yr If a person has racist beliefs but does not act on them, is that person a racist? For example, I have no doubt there are people who have racist beliefs who voted for Obama. There are people with racist beliefs who have "friends" who are African American. Many of these people will make racist statements that they would never act on. There are many more people with racist beliefs than people who act as racists. This is what makes it so hard to identify who truly is a racist.
December 29, 201114 yr I still think favoritism and racism are different. For example..... One of my closest friends is a white male who despises black quarterbacks. He will tell you that a black man shouldn't play quarterback for a myriad of reasons. I do know he is not a racist person. Obviously. However, he is firm in his opinion and does not like black quarterbacks. Is that favoritism or racism? Seeing as how I know him better than anyone on this planet I say favoritism. Since I know him and we have talked about almost every subject there is to talk about I have a whole new take on racism. If Lee Corso said what my friend says I would still take it as favoritism but I can definitely see how it could be construed as racist. When my friend and I have these deep discussions we make sure no one is around because both of our statements could be construed as racism. Is he against black quarterbacks because they are black, or because of the "typical style of play" you get from black quarterbacks? If it's simply because they're black, I'd say racist. If it's because he doesn't feel the skill set that most black quarterbacks have is a winning style, I'd say favoritism.
December 29, 201114 yr If a person has racist beliefs but does not act on them, is that person a racist? For example, I have no doubt there are people who have racist beliefs who voted for Obama. There are people with racist beliefs who have "friends" who are African American. Many of these people will make racist statements that they would never act on. There are many more people with racist beliefs than people who act as racists. This is what makes it so hard to identify who truly is a racist. To answer your first question I say "yes."
December 29, 201114 yr To me racism is driven by action of those being judged, as well as those judging. Once a person thinks that they are better than someone, and looks down on another: Then racism exists. For the person judging others and not accepting in thier hearts that just because they are different (for whatever reason) that denotes racism. For a person of my age, I have seen generational shifts that are much more accepting of differences between cultures, races, genders, and history. However, without the interaction and willingness to accept people for the goodness of who they are (not because of thier skin color, religion choice, income status, or how they are living thier lives) racism at some point will go on.
December 29, 201114 yr Nobody ever takes those black people with blanket claims seriously. I've never seen anyone of any color make a blanket claim without getting eyerolls from people of all colors. Do you take those black people seriously that cry racism frequently? You shouldn't. 90% of my black friends wouldn't. You shouldn't either. Those are people who always have an excuse for their own failures in life. Plus racism is the hardest thing to prove without blatant hardcore proof. Unless you have that proof on video tape, audio tape or written down it will never be proven anyways. It'll be words taken out of context. I come from the school of thought that says if someone is racist it will be proven eventually. You can't hide racism. It always comes out. PP92, I will be flat out honest with you. To a lot of white people the r word (racism) scares the crap out of them. Due to a lot of the people you are referencing which make these "blanket claims" with little to no justification, a lot of non-blacks feel like they have to walk on egg-shells, so-to-speak, to avoid having that label thrown on them. I am not denying what you say is true in that the majority of black people do not even take these people seriously, but I wish there was more of a back-lash to these type people from the black community in the venom they preach.
December 29, 201114 yr Author Is he against black quarterbacks because they are black, or because of the "typical style of play" you get from black quarterbacks? If it's simply because they're black, I'd say racist. If it's because he doesn't feel the skill set that most black quarterbacks have is a winning style, I'd say favoritism. It's the latter. The skill set of most black quarterbacks is maddening to him. :lol: Talk about some classic lunchroom discussions. :lol:
December 29, 201114 yr It's the latter. The skill set of most black quarterbacks is maddening to him. :lol: Talk about some classic lunchroom discussions. :lol: I would never draft a white player from the USA in basketball. The odds are they just are not going to be very good.
December 29, 201114 yr It's the latter. The skill set of most black quarterbacks is maddening to him. :lol: Talk about some classic lunchroom discussions. :lol: What is the "skill set" of a black quarterback?
December 29, 201114 yr I would never draft a white player from the USA in basketball. The odds are they just are not going to be very good. I agree. IF and only if you're picking blindly.
December 29, 201114 yr What is the "skill set" of a black quarterback? The Michael Vick skill set....Mobile QB, average-below average passer.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.