January 4, 201214 yr I went back and read the Steve Smith thread. I don't watch him much but the charge was made that he clearly favors black athletes. If true, is it then ok if a white analyst clearly favors white athletes? Or is he a racist?
March 3, 201214 yr There are degrees of racism as well as conscious vs subconscious. Some people make racist comments while a)not realizing it and b)believing just the opposite. There is much more of it out there than people want to admit because it makes us feel better to believe otherwise. I do believe it is diminishing with each generation. I realize that doesn't answer the question but I thought I'd throw a few nuggets out there to chew on. I don't believe it is diminshing with every generation. It's just more covert. SOme people think just because you don't sit on your porch and shout racial epithets as passersby, then you're not a racist. That what then. This is now. People who treat and deal with people different form them are very racist IMO. The thing is, everyone claims racism exists, but nobody will admit to knowing any. Black, white, or candy striped: If you post on here, you know a racist person or 10. No sense in lying about it.
March 3, 201214 yr Author I went back and read the Steve Smith thread. I don't watch him much but the charge was made that he clearly favors black athletes. If true, is it then ok if a white analyst clearly favors white athletes? Or is he a racist? After more thought I think to say Stephen A. clearly favors black athletes is a falsehood. He is the guy who will defend Michael Vick and Allen Iverson during their shortcomings on an intellectual level but he doesn't clearly favor black athletes. Just because he doesn't buy the Tebow hype doesn't make him racist. I have heard him speak highly of many white athletes and I have heard him criticize many black athletes. I think people don't like the fact that he will use race as an issue in some situations and that people generally don't like him so they jump the gun on his racial intentions and incorrectly label him a racist. And I am not saying these are your beliefs, 75. Just adding my perspective to your post.
March 3, 201214 yr Author I don't believe it is diminshing with every generation. It's just more covert. SOme people think just because you don't sit on your porch and shout racial epithets as passersby, then you're not a racist. That what then. This is now. People who treat and deal with people different form them are very racist IMO. The thing is, everyone claims racism exists, but nobody will admit to knowing any. Black, white, or candy striped: If you post on here, you know a racist person or 10. No sense in lying about it. Good post. I know plenty.
March 5, 201214 yr I don't think it's a genetic thing either. Same way I feel about homosexuality. If one would argue that it is innate, then I'd assume regional racism wouldn't matter. Simply a color issue, would you agree? I'm not willing to buy the concept that my racist cousin, who learned his behavior from his rednecked daddy, is the same as my other cousin, who tried very hard to please his parents (both of whom are as hardcore Catholic as anyone you NoKy folks know) and did his best to date girls (many of them extremely hot), yet opted for guys instead. I just don't think the two are choices. While Portland, Oregon, is indeed beautiful, I'm pretty sure my cousin wouldn't have run that far away had he been born "normal."
March 6, 201214 yr I don't believe it is diminshing with every generation. It's just more covert. SOme people think just because you don't sit on your porch and shout racial epithets as passersby, then you're not a racist. That what then. This is now. People who treat and deal with people different form them are very racist IMO. The thing is, everyone claims racism exists, but nobody will admit to knowing any. Black, white, or candy striped: If you post on here, you know a racist person or 10. No sense in lying about it. Disagree strongly. Each generation has additional opportunities than the previous to interact with each other due to greater mobility and the rise of social media. That leads to more knowledge which goes a long way towards reducing racism.
March 7, 201214 yr I don't believe it is diminshing with every generation. It's just more covert. SOme people think just because you don't sit on your porch and shout racial epithets as passersby, then you're not a racist. That what then. This is now. People who treat and deal with people different form them are very racist IMO. The thing is, everyone claims racism exists, but nobody will admit to knowing any. Black, white, or candy striped: If you post on here, you know a racist person or 10. No sense in lying about it. I believe it does diminish over time. That said. Its not gone by any stretch. Blatant and overtly visible and most legal (separate but equal laws, etc.) racism has been fairly well addressed. But subtle and silent racism certainly can be found without too much difficulty unfortunately. If would be good to say the battle is done. But it is not. Racism can be viewed an extreme form of arbitrary bias. Biases exist and will always exist. They may be based on race, religion, sex, age. etc. Ways to address these biases will be needed in businesses, laws and policies. Some think that means implementing quotas when hiring. While not a fan of quotas, I have seen the need for 'affirmative action' policies such as the NFLs 'must interview' when hiring a new coach. At the highest corporate levels I have seen companies focus on diversity and you see that they do things like measure they minority make up against the community makeup. They go to career day at traditional black or women colleges and seek out good graduates. They have programs to ensure they are doing the right things. I have also seen companies who do not do the things above. Even in today's world you can find large companies with few, if any minorities or women working in their headquarters. When that happens I find no overt racism. It is hard to climb a corporate ladder if you hold and practice racist ideals. But it is not hard to see that these companies have not been on guard for bias for what ever reason. And the result is a group that is uniform in its makeup. And when you see that you know that some good and deserving people were probably not hired or passed over or not given a fair shot at a higher level position.
March 7, 201214 yr Disagree strongly. Each generation has additional opportunities than the previous to interact with each other due to greater mobility and the rise of social media. That leads to more knowledge which goes a long way towards reducing racism. Good answer, in theory. But how many young people use the Internet, let alone social media for any serious commerce or action? Like 1%? Most are on there to browse and hookup. Here's a prime example, please answer me this: If racism is reducing, then why in the world are they still making movies such as "The Help"? This movie, IMO, just reinforced old stereotypes and class roles. Subtle racism. If racism was being reduced, this movie is not green-lit. That's what I mean by more covert. There is no need for a movie such as "The Help" in 2012.:idunno::idunno::idunno:
March 8, 201214 yr Author Anyone who plays games like Call of Duty online knows that racism is alive and well just wih anonymous names and faces behind it.
March 8, 201214 yr Good answer, in theory. But how many young people use the Internet, let alone social media for any serious commerce or action? Like 1%? Most are on there to browse and hookup. Here's a prime example, please answer me this: If racism is reducing, then why in the world are they still making movies such as "The Help"? This movie, IMO, just reinforced old stereotypes and class roles. Subtle racism. If racism was being reduced, this movie is not green-lit. That's what I mean by more covert. There is no need for a movie such as "The Help" in 2012.:idunno::idunno::idunno: What?!?! By that logic, I guess no other historical movies should ever be made.
March 8, 201214 yr What?!?! By that logic, I guess no other historical movies should ever be made. What's historical about it. As i said, it just reinforces old stereotypes. It's a period piece, a period we are long gone from, allegedly.
March 8, 201214 yr Anyone who plays games like Call of Duty online knows that racism is alive and well just wih anonymous names and faces behind it. I agree. It always seems they're little twerps who are around a group of their 9th grade friends all trying to sound cooler than the next. You'd never know if they were truly racist or just trying to impress their buddies. It may be a little "we just learned this word" syndrome. However, in some capacities and in some cases, it is deeply-rooted and vehement.
March 8, 201214 yr What's historical about it. As i said, it just reinforces old stereotypes. It's a period piece, a period we are long gone from, allegedly. Stuff like that still goes on, I hate to tell you. But feel free to be an ostrich. There's still folks out there who look to hire a "boy" to do their yardwork or other menial labor jobs around the house, even though that "boy" might be the same age as the potential employer.
March 8, 201214 yr What's historical about it. As i said, it just reinforces old stereotypes. It's a period piece, a period we are long gone from, allegedly. So we should stop airing Martin Luther King Jr.'s speeches and stop documenting history through media altogether? After all, it is all from a period we are long gone from? Correct me if I'm missing your point here.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.