December 12, 201114 yr What should they have been and how do you rationalize it? Gates - Shown the door Johnny Cueto Wannabe - 10 games Lyons, Wells, & the walkon - 10 games Tu & Gyunn - 2-3 games Simple, you throw a punch, you sit a minimum of 10 games, you cause injury to someone through a fight and you're gone.
December 12, 201114 yr Gates - Shown the door Johnny Cueto Wannabe - 10 games Lyons, Wells, & the walkon - 10 games Tu & Gyunn - 2-3 games Simple, you throw a punch, you sit a minimum of 10 games, you cause injury to someone through a fight and you're gone. I could live with those numbers...
December 12, 201114 yr Gates - Shown the door Johnny Cueto Wannabe - 10 games Lyons, Wells, & the walkon - 10 games Tu & Gyunn - 2-3 games Simple, you throw a punch, you sit a minimum of 10 games, you cause injury to someone through a fight and you're gone. What's the difference between throwing a punch and landing a punch? Those punishments can't be different. Intent is the same.
December 12, 201114 yr What's the difference between throwing a punch and landing a punch? Those punishments can't be different. Intent is the same. Where did I make a distinction? :confused:
December 12, 201114 yr Gates has shown he is a problem, plain and simple. He should have been told to "hit the bricks" simply because of his track record in the program. You have a guy who is clearly using his size/athletic talents to bully and talk crap whenever he wants. He thinks becaus he may be a 1st Round NBA draft pick someday he should be able to do whatever he wants. If I were an NBA scout I would avoid that terd at all costs. Xavier players really made their school look bad. Wells provoked the actual fisticuffs IMO. Holloway and Guyn were yapping and they could have been separated but when Wells pushed Guyn pretty hard and that set off the UC players. Cronin's words at the presser were really good but when they followed up with the weak punishments it just made him look like a powerless donkey. You know the uppers sat him down and said, we will make the decisions on who is on this team and who isnt. ITs bad enough they can barely get 5000 people to show for home games. You get rid of Gates and suspend the others for a series of games and your looking at the entire program sinking. Its all about the MONEY baby !!!!
December 12, 201114 yr Where did I make a distinction? :confused: Throwing a punch = minimum of 10 games, causing injury through a fight = you're gone. Looks like a distinction to me.
December 12, 201114 yr Throwing a punch = minimum of 10 games, causing injury through a fight = you're gone. Looks like a distinction to me. Fair enough. I'm more inclined to show Gates the door for a multitude of reasons. 1) This isn't his first problem or incident while at UC....Repeat offender of disciplinary actions. 2) He threw a whole lot more punches than anyone else. 3) He could be facing criminal charges. 4) He threw a basketball like a baseball off a Xavier player's face from close distance. All that IMO, justifies more than what everyone else gets.
December 12, 201114 yr If Mick wants to show that his words weren't just hollow threats, he needs to make a statement after the suspensions and let Gates, etc. get a "DNP - Coach's Decision". No way he has the stones for it though IMO.
December 12, 201114 yr If Mick wants to show that his words weren't just hollow threats, he needs to make a statement after the suspensions and let Gates, etc. get a "DNP - Coach's Decision". No way he has the stones for it though IMO. I think he is powerless. He's the typical big business middle manager. What is Nancy Zimpher doing right now? LOL
December 12, 201114 yr I agree that punches should never be thrown during a basketball game, who doesn't. However, am I the only one that thinks there has been a complete overreaction to the suspensions from both teams? I mean, the conference gave less of a suspension than the schools did. Nope, you're not the only one. I agree with you that there has been an over reaction on the suspensions. When you consider the NCAA rule is one game and multiple players are getting multiple game suspensions, I don't see how anyone can go off on the suspensions being too light. If you look at the entire incident, I do think Yates warranted more than the other UC offenders and I think Wells for XU deserved more. Wells started the altercation with his shove and then was seen later throwing punches in another confrontation. In general though, I am ok with the suspensions handed out and definitely do not see there being a "copout" by either school.
December 12, 201114 yr Nope, you're not the only one. I agree with you that there has been an over reaction on the suspensions. When you consider the NCAA rule is one game and multiple players are getting multiple game suspensions, I don't see how anyone can go off on the suspensions being too light. If you look at the entire incident, I do think Yates warranted more than the other UC offenders and I think Wells for XU deserved more. Wells started the altercation with his shove and then was seen later throwing punches in another confrontation. In general though, I am ok with the suspensions handed out and definitely do not see there being a "copout" by either school. I will ask you, since no one has responded. Is Gates' sucker punch different than LaGarette Blounts?
December 12, 201114 yr I think Xavier players are getting off light. Xavier player started the whole incident with the shove. Then their post game comments should be grounds for suspenison alone. " We are Gangsters and thats how we handle our buisness" was pathetic. Xavier coaches and SID should be disciplined for even letting them go to interviews especially without some directions as to what to say. What about the officials? Shouldnt they be disciplined for letting the game get out of hand. Also, If you watch the video the two players are in each others face jawing for seconds. There are three officials out there. They should have taken care of buisness right there. Not one of them stepped in to clean the intial argument up. As for Cincy, the player who threw the punch and the one who kicked Freese should be dismissed from the team.
December 12, 201114 yr I will ask you, since no one has responded. Is Gates' sucker punch different than LaGarette Blounts? Should Blounts have been suspended 10 games? Just because he was by one school doesn't mean it is the right suspension. Personally, I think that suspension was too long. I also think what Bounts did is worse than what anyone in the UC / XU altercation did.
December 12, 201114 yr Should Blounts have been suspended 10 games? Just because he was by one school doesn't mean it is the right suspension. Personally, I think that suspension was too long. I also think what Bounts did is worse than what anyone in the UC / XU altercation did. What makes it worse? Not saying I disagree. Blounts suspension cost him a ton of dough also. I do think it was warranted though.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.