December 12, 201114 yr What makes it worse? Not saying I disagree. Blounts suspension cost him a ton of dough also. I do think it was warranted though. From what I recall, Blounts threw a total sucker punch that came out of no where. Gates threw a punch at a guy charging into a group of his teammates. While Frease was not throwing punches, his actions were aggressive in that he was pushing forward against opposing players. Gates responded to physical aggression. For example if Guyn had responded to Holloway getting in his face by throwing a punch in the face to Holloway, that would be worse than what Gates did.
December 12, 201114 yr Nope, you're not the only one. I agree with you that there has been an over reaction on the suspensions. When you consider the NCAA rule is one game and multiple players are getting multiple game suspensions, I don't see how anyone can go off on the suspensions being too light. If you look at the entire incident, I do think Yates warranted more than the other UC offenders and I think Wells for XU deserved more. Wells started the altercation with his shove and then was seen later throwing punches in another confrontation. In general though, I am ok with the suspensions handed out and definitely do not see there being a "copout" by either school. And maybe the NCAA rule needs to be changed to reflect what's going on in the game - and society - today. I personally wouldn't base my opinion of the appropriateness of the suspensions based on the NCAA's opinion. The NCAA administration has proven time and time again that they are idiots.
December 12, 201114 yr If Tu Holloway didn't throw any punches why is he suspended at all? For talking trash?
December 12, 201114 yr From what I recall, Blounts threw a total sucker punch that came out of no where. Gates threw a punch at a guy charging into a group of his teammates. While Frease was not throwing punches, his actions were aggressive in that he was pushing forward against opposing players. Gates responded to physical aggression. For example if Guyn had responded to Holloway getting in his face by throwing a punch in the face to Holloway, that would be worse than what Gates did. I have not care or dog in this fight but the video I saw did not show Frease "charging" in. It showed him walking into the middle and extending his long arms to keep UC players away. No flailing or or even attempt at aggression other than to separate them all. He's far from some sort of angel (look at his post game actions to show that) but Gates saw an opportunity to "settle a score" or "get his lick in" and that's what I saw him. do.
December 12, 201114 yr If Tu Holloway didn't throw any punches why is he suspended at all? For talking trash? I said he should sit one game for his "body bag" comment even though we all know he didn't literally mean "kill the players and put their body in a bag." Sometimes words are worthy of suspension. The "gangsta" thing didn't bother me.
December 12, 201114 yr Fair enough. I'm more inclined to show Gates the door for a multitude of reasons. 1) This isn't his first problem or incident while at UC....Repeat offender of disciplinary actions. 2) He threw a whole lot more punches than anyone else. 3) He could be facing criminal charges. 4) He threw a basketball like a baseball off a Xavier player's face from close distance. All that IMO, justifies more than what everyone else gets. I agree, which indicates why I, as well as plenty others believe that a six game suspension was generous to say in the least.
December 12, 201114 yr I said he should sit one game for his "body bag" comment even though we all know he didn't literally mean "kill the players and put their body in a bag." Sometimes words are worthy of suspension. The "gangsta" thing didn't bother me. I think his on-court trash-talking at the end of the game was excessive, unsportsmanlike, and the major precursor to the start of the fight. I add another game, if not two games, for this. I'm sick of this ridiculous, over-the-top trash-talking crap. It gets worse and worse with each passing year and takes away from the game. Shut up and play the game and let your performance speak for itself.
December 12, 201114 yr I have not care or dog in this fight but the video I saw did not show Frease "charging" in. It showed him walking into the middle and extending his long arms to keep UC players away. No flailing or or even attempt at aggression other than to separate them all. He's far from some sort of angel (look at his post game actions to show that) but Gates saw an opportunity to "settle a score" or "get his lick in" and that's what I saw him. do. Poor choice of words in the first line saying charged. Pushed is a better description as I used in the second part of my post. Gates was wrong but I don't agree that this was a complete sucker punch. Frease was pushing forward which could easily be considered aggressive action under the circumstances. If you are standing in the middle of a brawl and a 7' tall guy pushes forward into you and others, then I am not sure I would call it a sucker punch. I see a sucker punch being a punch where someone does not expect it at all and it often comes from behind or is sneaky. Frease was in the middle of a brawl which immediately tells me to be on the lookout for a punch from anywhere and Gates was in front of Frease, albeit off to the side. If Frease was actually pushing Gates instead of the guy right in front of Gates, would it be self defense? I am just trying to play devil's advocate and make people think about this instead of being appalled and joining the lynch mob without thinking.
December 12, 201114 yr Poor choice of words in the first line saying charged. Pushed is a better description as I used in the second part of my post. Gates was wrong but I don't agree that this was a complete sucker punch. Frease was pushing forward which could easily be considered aggressive action under the circumstances. If you are standing in the middle of a brawl and a 7' tall guy pushes forward into you and others, then I am not sure I would call it a sucker punch. I see a sucker punch being a punch where someone does not expect it at all and it often comes from behind or is sneaky. Frease was in the middle of a brawl which immediately tells me to be on the lookout for a punch from anywhere and Gates was in front of Frease, albeit off to the side. If Frease was actually pushing Gates instead of the guy right in front of Gates, would it be self defense? I am just trying to play devil's advocate and make people think about this instead of being appalled and joining the lynch mob without thinking. What makes you think those of us that believe the suspensions were too light have not done so?
December 12, 201114 yr What makes you think those of us that believe the suspensions were too light have not done so? I think they are too light in a couple cases - Gates, Wells. But to say Gates should be gone is clearly going too far IMO. If you think about the incident in terms of Frease coming at Gates when Gates threw the punch, then it isn't nearly to the same level as the Blounts incident that is being cited by some on here.
December 12, 201114 yr I think his on-court trash-talking at the end of the game was excessive, unsportsmanlike, and the major precursor to the start of the fight. I add another game, if not two games, for this. I'm sick of this ridiculous, over-the-top trash-talking crap. It gets worse and worse with each passing year and takes away from the game. Shut up and play the game and let your performance speak for itself. We disagree.
December 12, 201114 yr Poor choice of words in the first line saying charged. Pushed is a better description as I used in the second part of my post. Gates was wrong but I don't agree that this was a complete sucker punch. Frease was pushing forward which could easily be considered aggressive action under the circumstances. If you are standing in the middle of a brawl and a 7' tall guy pushes forward into you and others, then I am not sure I would call it a sucker punch. I see a sucker punch being a punch where someone does not expect it at all and it often comes from behind or is sneaky. Frease was in the middle of a brawl which immediately tells me to be on the lookout for a punch from anywhere and Gates was in front of Frease, albeit off to the side. If Frease was actually pushing Gates instead of the guy right in front of Gates, would it be self defense? I am just trying to play devil's advocate and make people think about this instead of being appalled and joining the lynch mob without thinking. The "albeit to the side" invalidates your feeling it wasn't a "sucker punch."
December 12, 201114 yr I think they are too light in a couple cases - Gates, Wells. But to say Gates should be gone is clearly going too far IMO. If you think about the incident in terms of Frease coming at Gates when Gates threw the punch, then it isn't nearly to the same level as the Blounts incident that is being cited by some on here. Not sure that's how I would describe Frease's actions. And the defense for Gates' second punch? He has a history of being a problem child and IMO this past history should have made his punishment more severe.
December 12, 201114 yr The "albeit to the side" invalidates your feeling it wasn't a "sucker punch." Nope, it doesn't. Go back and watch the clip. Who is the first person Frease laid a hand on as he pushed forward into the brawl? Yancey Gates. So Frease pushes into the middle of the battle, extends his arm out and pushes Gates and then Gates throws his punch. Yes, Gates is to the side but if you push a guy back and then he punches you that is not a sucker punch. I guarantee you if I push someone in the middle of a brawl, I am looking for the reply shove/punch or what ever. Check out the clip again and get back to me if you don't agree with all the above.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.