December 12, 201114 yr IMO the biggest problem people have with Tu is his use of "gangsta/gangster(for Cooperstown)." Poor choice of words but some got his real meaning. I don't know who this writer is but he sums it up pretty well. And what of Xavier? Forget for a moment Holloway's choice of words in his postgame news conference. (The use of the word "gangster" is easily misinterpreted, and Holloway should never have said it, but anyone with a passing familiarity with the way young people talk could see Holloway was using the word colloquially. He didn't mean "actual gang members who will violently hurt you if you violate our interests." He meant "tough guys.") The suspension IMO was warranted for his "zip 'em up/body bag" metaphor. Do I believe he really wanted them dead and bagged? Uh, no. But his words were poor and reflected poorly upon many, thus, the one-gamer. http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/41737/cincy-xaviers-brawl-suspensions-fall-short
December 12, 201114 yr By NCAA rules.....You know the same people that hold a little tournament at the end year says.....if a player throws a punch it is a 1 game suspension. If another punch is thrown, they are done for the year. How many punches were thrown again by multiple players(both teams) on multiple occasions yesterday......Cowards!! There should of been kids cleaning out their lockers today! IMO.... There is a lot of gray area in the NCAA's rule. It is IMO per an occurrence and not per a punch thrown. Although, I think it should have to do more so with the wanting to cause physical harm to someone. I can see someone throwing punches to defend, but for someone that went out of their way to cause physical harm to someone else (Gates) and showing no restraint afterwards should have rewarded a bigger penalty. Yes, GT he was caught on tape landing punches. But IMO that doesn't matter. To me it is a matter in which the punches were thrown. Its the fact that he went out of way to do so and showed no restraint afterwards.
December 12, 201114 yr IMO the biggest problem people have with Tu is his use of "gangsta/gangster(for Cooperstown)." Poor choice of words but some got his real meaning. I don't know who this writer is but he sums it up pretty well. And what of Xavier? Forget for a moment Holloway's choice of words in his postgame news conference. (The use of the word "gangster" is easily misinterpreted, and Holloway should never have said it, but anyone with a passing familiarity with the way young people talk could see Holloway was using the word colloquially. He didn't mean "actual gang members who will violently hurt you if you violate our interests." He meant "tough guys.") The suspension IMO was warranted for his "zip 'em up/body bag" metaphor. Do I believe he really wanted them dead and bagged? Uh, no. But his words were poor and reflected poorly upon many, thus, the one-gamer. http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/41737/cincy-xaviers-brawl-suspensions-fall-short He's old enough to know the emotions that certain words convey and evoke in people. There simply are certain words/phrases you just don't use in certain settings. I don't care whether he's from the tough streets of New York where the word is much more common and accepted. It was one part of the totality of his offensive tone and words and that he was quite proud of helping to cause and participate in the brawl. He's a thug. Excellent ballplayer, but a thug and a punk and he deserved a minimum 3-game suspension.
December 12, 201114 yr Your ditty above in no way answered my question. All you did was state what we already knew - you get a one-game suspension for throwing a punch. Did someone ask that question and I missed it? So the rest of College Basketball now knows what will be tolerated when punches are thrown in a Basketball game. Wow!!!....So when Xavier's big man hits his head on the floor and falls into a coma which could of very easily happened....."Dickmans Sports Bar parking lot", does Gates only get 6 game suspension or is he sitting in Jail right now. One punch at a guy who was trying to defuse the situation is One punch too many. You get my drift! There was no room for what Gates did yesterday on that floor....they were all out of line!
December 12, 201114 yr I agree that punches should never be thrown during a basketball game, who doesn't. However, am I the only one that thinks there has been a complete overreaction to the suspensions from both teams? I mean, the conference gave less of a suspension than the schools did.
December 12, 201114 yr Absolutely hate what transpired. Also hate how it seems things are being handled. However, a couple of thoughts afterwards... (Not really trying to take sides, here...but just asking the questions) Is there really a difference between throwing a punch...and landing a punch? How much is the difference between throwing a punch at someone who can see it coming, and throwing it at someone who (evidently) can not? Why is it that the so-called "peacemakers" who wade into the middle of the fight, always try to seperate the two sides by pushing the opponent away? I mean, if you get to the middle and have a teammate to one side and an opponent to the other, which one do you really expect to listen to your "calming" words/actions? Take your guy and get him the heck out of there. Gates' action seems to be the one that a lot have focused on...yet, that wasn't even close to the first (or second) action that instigated everything. By NO MEANS am I saying the guy is blameless...but, if roles were reversed, and it was Killpatrick that was taunting the X bench, and Gates the one who pushed the player to the ground...people would be going nuts over it (regardless of what happened afterwards). I just don't see that type of reaction for Xavier (aside from several people here on this board). With X being a top 10 team right now...are we really surprised at how little the suspensions were?
December 12, 201114 yr I agree that punches should never be thrown during a basketball game, who doesn't. However, am I the only one that thinks there has been a complete overreaction to the suspensions from both teams? I mean, the conference gave less of a suspension than the schools did. I think you would be in the minority.
December 12, 201114 yr I agree that punches should never be thrown during a basketball game, who doesn't. However, am I the only one that thinks there has been a complete overreaction to the suspensions from both teams? I mean, the conference gave less of a suspension than the schools did. No. I think Gates should have been more than 6 games but I haven't lost any respect for either program. Things like this happen. This isn't the first fight in college basketball and it won't be the last.
December 12, 201114 yr I agree that punches should never be thrown during a basketball game, who doesn't. However, am I the only one that thinks there has been a complete overreaction to the suspensions from both teams? I mean, the conference gave less of a suspension than the schools did. No. I think Gates should have been more than 6 games but I haven't lost any respect for either program. Things like this happen. This isn't the first fight in college basketball and it won't be the last.
December 12, 201114 yr Author There is a lot of gray area in the NCAA's rule. It is IMO per an occurrence and not per a punch thrown. Although, I think it should have to do more so with the wanting to cause physical harm to someone. I can see someone throwing punches to defend, but for someone that went out of their way to cause physical harm to someone else (Gates) and showing no restraint afterwards should have rewarded a bigger penalty. Yes, GT he was caught on tape landing punches. But IMO that doesn't matter. To me it is a matter in which the punches were thrown. Its the fact that he went out of way to do so and showed no restraint afterwards. The first part of your post contradicts the second. Wells went for a UC player after he pushed Guyn down, and ended up swinging and connecting on a guy being restrained by the UC S&C coach. His intentions were the same as Gates, it was just done on the back end of things and he didn't connect like Gates did. Wells set things off and then went looking for more trouble with a swing first and deal with it later mentality. As I have said, I am not bothered by Wells only getting 4, but it is relevant that some of his actions were very similar to Gates. He just didn't get caught center screen or land on his aimed target as he desired...
December 12, 201114 yr The first part of your post contradicts the second. Wells went for a UC player after he pushed Guyn down, and ended up swinging and connecting on a guy being restrained by the UC S&C coach. His intentions were the same as Gates, it was just done on the back end of things and he didn't connect like Gates did. Wells set things off and then went looking for more trouble with a swing first and deal with it later mentality. As I have said, I am not bothered by Wells only getting 4, but it is relevant that some of his actions were very similar to Gates. He just didn't get caught center screen or land on his aimed target as he desired... That's cool, I'll side with you there. I'll say it again, when a player goes out of his way to cause physical harm (is not defending himself) and shows no restraint then they should deserve an NCAA mandated suspension. Do you not agree. I'm on par with you about the X players too. Just because it wasn't caught on camara front and center doesn't mean they should walk from this. I guess I also don't see how my first part contradicts the second. Please explain. I am not being smart, just maybe not seeing eye to eye.
December 12, 201114 yr So the rest of College Basketball now knows what will be tolerated when punches are thrown in a Basketball game. Wow!!!....So when Xavier's big man hits his head on the floor and falls into a coma which could of very easily happened....."Dickmans Sports Bar parking lot", does Gates only get 6 game suspension or is he sitting in Jail right now. One punch at a guy who was trying to defuse the situation is One punch too many. You get my drift! There was no room for what Gates did yesterday on that floor....they were all out of line! I'll ask again. What does that have to do with the question I asked that you quoted?
December 12, 201114 yr He's old enough to know the emotions that certain words convey and evoke in people. There simply are certain words/phrases you just don't use in certain settings. I don't care whether he's from the tough streets of New York where the word is much more common and accepted. It was one part of the totality of his offensive tone and words and that he was quite proud of helping to cause and participate in the brawl. He's a thug. Excellent ballplayer, but a thug and a punk and he deserved a minimum 3-game suspension. Based on what? Have we ever suspended a player who didn't throw a punch for 3 games for yapping?
December 12, 201114 yr Author That's cool, I'll side with you there. I'll say it again, when a player goes out of his way to cause physical harm (is not defending himself) and shows no restraint then they should deserve an NCAA mandated suspension. Do you not agree. I'm on par with you about the X players too. Just because it wasn't caught on camara front and center doesn't mean they should walk from this. I agree and have said as much. My main issue with Yancy is he went after Freese directly, and from what I know of the history between the two Gates was looking for him. That to me puts him in a different group than anyone else and why I thought he should have been suspended 10 games...
December 12, 201114 yr Based on what? Have we ever suspended a player who didn't throw a punch for 3 games for yapping? There's always a first time when you set a precedence. Because it's never happened before doesn't mean it can't happen or shouldn't happen. And while I know it wasn't your intent, "yapping" rather minimizes the totality and seriousness of Holloway's actions. Not trying to be nitpicky or get into semantics debate with you - I don't have the IQ to fight that battle - but Holloway's actions were more than "yapping." Oh, and don't ask me to come up with another word for it - got other things on my mind right now. Edited December 12, 201114 yr by cooperstown
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.