December 12, 201114 yr Not worhty of suspension then. During a major confrontation he didn't throw any punches and he made a in the heat of the moment comment. Just not suspension worthy in my opinion. I just don't think you absolve someone because a statement was made "in the heat of the moment." You still are still responsible for those comments. And it certainly wasn't the heat of the moment when he called his teammates gangters and took pride in "zipping up" UC. They're simply inappropriate and inflammatory remarks that shouldn't be tolerated. And if you don't take some action against him, you are tolerating them.
December 12, 201114 yr Cheap shot yes, sucker punch no. There is a difference. Gates was pushed by Frease before the punch was thrown. It is hard to tell in the video, but Frease may have still had his hand on Gates' left shoulder when Gates threw the punch. Can you give me the video link you are watching that clearly shows this? I've reviewed countless links (pretty much same video) and you simply can't tell Gates is being touched by Frease. I most certainly don't see him being "pushed." But perhaps I just haven't seen the right video angle.
December 12, 201114 yr I just don't think you absolve someone because a statement was made "in the heat of the moment." You still are still responsible for those comments. And it certainly wasn't the heat of the moment when he called his teammates gangters and took pride in "zipping up" UC. They're simply inappropriate and inflammatory remarks that shouldn't be tolerated. And if you don't take some action against him, you are tolerating them. I just have a hard time suspending someone for words.
December 12, 201114 yr I just have a hard time suspending someone for words. Words can be harmful. That's why there are laws on the books that cover certain egregious language. And, no, I'm not claiming Holloway' words violated any law. So if a player walks up to an opposing coach mid-game, calls him every name every name in the book and makes some type of veiled threat, you take no action? I mean, they're only words. What if a player openly uses the "n-word" to an opponent over and over? Not worthy of any action? I have no idea if there's ever been an official suspension for flagrant language. I suspect there has. But even if not, I just don't buy you can't take a some action because it's never been done before. There is always a first time. I'm not into all this excessive political correctness these days, but I think sportsmanship and personal responsibiity needs to be returned to collegiate and professional sports.
December 12, 201114 yr Can you give me the video link you are watching that clearly shows this? I've reviewed countless links (pretty much same video) and you simply can't tell Gates is being touched by Frease. I most certainly don't see him being "pushed." But perhaps I just haven't seen the right video angle. I believe if you look at any of the video and focus on Frease, you will see as he moves into the brawl that he reaches out with his left hand and the first player he pushes is Gates. Gates is moved back as Frease keeps pressing forward and from there it is hard to tell if Frease still has his hand on Gates' left shoulder or arm, or it moves to Guyn as Gates throws the punch over Frease's left arm.
December 13, 201114 yr Author @FOX19Joe Joe Danneman Matt Painter on Xavier with Dan Dakich on ESPN 1070: "Right away from watching film, they talk. And, they talk a lot." @FOX19Joe Joe Danneman More Painter: "It could've been handled. And, to me, you handle it in the Purdue game and it doesn't happen in the Cincinnati game"
December 14, 201114 yr I just don't understand people whining about trash talk. Who cares? Beat them and they're quiet. Now that time has passed I'm completely fine with all suspensions except I don't think Tu should have been suspended. 6 games is 19% or so from what I saw somewhere and Carmelo Anthony got 18% because of his fight in the NBA. Time to move on and play ball for everyone eligible.
December 15, 201114 yr This was sent to my son who is a senior in HS Dear Student: By now, you've heard about a very regrettable incident at Saturday's Crosstown Shootout basketball game. Simply said: The unsportsmanlike conduct did not represent Xavier's values as a Jesuit Catholic institution. We deeply regret this behavior, and various actions have been taken, including game suspensions for some of our team players. You can learn more about University actions at http://www.xavier.edu/universityresponse. What's most important to us is that we learn from our mistakes. Father Michael Graham, our president, is working with his counterpart at the University of Cincinnati to determine how best to bring about more cooperation. Internally, we will have many, many more conversations to learn and grow in the true spirit of our University. If you or your parents have any concerns or questions, please contact me or Terry Richards, Vice President for Enrollment, at 513-745-3301 or 877-XUADMIT. Sincerely, Aaron J. Meis Dean of Undergraduate Admission
December 15, 201114 yr ^ I think that letter and much more will be needed to mend fences in the XU fan base. I have heard XU supporters talk about how embarrassed they are about the entire incident and state they will not donate to the school as they have in the past because of this incident. We'll see if time heals wounds but the XU alumni I know are very proud of their school's image and are totally PO'd at this incident. I also have heard more than a few XU supporters complain about the way Holloway and Lyons behave on the court in general. They say this trash talking is ongoing in game after game. They don't like the yacking these two enjoy so much that led to this incident. XU has some serious damage control and I think telling Holloway and Lyons they need to take their own words to heart and "zip it up" is part of the damage control needed. It will be interesting to see if alumni contributions are down over the next year.
December 15, 201114 yr ^My girlfriend's family (on her dad's side) is very heavily involved with XU athletics in terms of donations, etc. Her aunt played at Xavier, and her dad's entire family are alumni. They have very good season tickets, etc. They said they're done donating money and are contemplating giving up their tickets next season if the issues involving Lyons and Holloway aren't resolved soon. They said that with Lyons it's the same thing every game. He's in the opposing players and benches face the entire game. They call both of them an embarrassment to the university and what it stands for. Definitely will be interesting to see how the alumni react.
December 15, 201114 yr ^ I think that letter and much more will be needed to mend fences in the XU fan base. I have heard XU supporters talk about how embarrassed they are about the entire incident and state they will not donate to the school as they have in the past because of this incident. We'll see if time heals wounds but the XU alumni I know are very proud of their school's image and are totally PO'd at this incident. I also have heard more than a few XU supporters complain about the way Holloway and Lyons behave on the court in general. They say this trash talking is ongoing in game after game. They don't like the yacking these two enjoy so much that led to this incident. XU has some serious damage control and I think telling Holloway and Lyons they need to take their own words to heart and "zip it up" is part of the damage control needed. It will be interesting to see if alumni contributions are down over the next year. ^My girlfriend's family (on her dad's side) is very heavily involved with XU athletics in terms of donations, etc. Her aunt played at Xavier, and her dad's entire family are alumni. They have very good season tickets, etc. They said they're done donating money and are contemplating giving up their tickets next season if the issues involving Lyons and Holloway aren't resolved soon. They said that with Lyons it's the same thing every game. He's in the opposing players and benches face the entire game. They call both of them an embarrassment to the university and what it stands for. Definitely will be interesting to see how the alumni react. :thumb: I think there are a LOT of XU supporters like what you and I have posted here. I have also been hearing callers to talk shows publicly calling out Holloway and Lyons and stating how their behavior beyond this incident is just not what they expect out of XU players, that they find it embarassing, that they want it stopped and that they are inclined to cut off support to the school until it does change.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.