Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Xavier Suspensions

Featured Replies

Not sure that's how I would describe Frease's actions. And the defense for Gates' second punch? He has a history of being a problem child and IMO this past history should have made his punishment more severe.

 

As I said above in reply to Clyde, go check out the clip again. One of the first people Frease pushed as he moved into the fight was Gates and the punch came back in reply.

  • Replies 101
  • Views 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I said above in reply to Clyde, go check out the clip again. One of the first people Frease pushed as he moved into the fight was Gates and the punch came back in reply.

 

If Gates were responding to the shove and was trying to defend himself then he had the chance to do it right then. Instead, he wanted nothing to do with Frease straight up. He moved to the side, waited until Frease had his attention focused on someone else and threw a punch to the side of his head while he wasn't looking then immediately backed away like a coward. Throwing a punch at someone that is not looking is the very definition of a sucker punch. You are the only one that sees it that way--even the UC fans admit it. But hey, maybe you are the only one on this board or any other discussion that I have read that is correct. Everyone else sees it for what it is, a blatant sucker punch.

I said he should sit one game for his "body bag" comment even though we all know he didn't literally mean "kill the players and put their body in a bag."

 

Sometimes words are worthy of suspension. The "gangsta" thing didn't bother me.

 

So you agree that he should sit for talking trash?

 

Also, his trash talking on the court didn't start the incident. Guyn shoved him or made a move towards his face. Dez Wells pushed him after that movement. Tu is being blamed for basically saying he owns this city. That comment came because Kilpatrick said he couldn't start for UC. Mack shouldn't have had him in at that point, but I have no issue whatsoever with anything anyone said including body bag and gangsta. He shouldn't get a game. He talked.

If Gates were responding to the shove and was trying to defend himself then he had the chance to do it right then. Instead, he wanted nothing to do with Frease straight up. He moved to the side, waited until Frease had his attention focused on someone else and threw a punch to the side of his head while he wasn't looking then immediately backed away like a coward. Throwing a punch at someone that is not looking is the very definition of a sucker punch. You are the only one that sees it that way--even the UC fans admit it. But hey, maybe you are the only one on this board or any other discussion that I have read that is correct. Everyone else sees it for what it is, a blatant sucker punch.

 

My point is this. If I am in a brawl and I push into the middle of it, any guy I put my hands on I had better be ready for a response. Frease pushed Gates first. No way it is a sucker punch when the guy you push responds with a punch. I am not a UC fan. I am just going by what I saw as I kept looking at the clip. Gates is still wrong. I think he should have been suspended for 10 games because of hitting Frease and throwing punches at other times in the brawl. But I don't call him hitting Frease a sucker punch.

I think his on-court trash-talking at the end of the game was excessive, unsportsmanlike, and the major precursor to the start of the fight. I add another game, if not two games, for this. I'm sick of this ridiculous, over-the-top trash-talking crap. It gets worse and worse with each passing year and takes away from the game. Shut up and play the game and let your performance speak for itself.

 

I've never heard of a player getting suspended for trash talking.

Nope, it doesn't. Go back and watch the clip. Who is the first person Frease laid a hand on as he pushed forward into the brawl? Yancey Gates. So Frease pushes into the middle of the battle, extends his arm out and pushes Gates and then Gates throws his punch. Yes, Gates is to the side but if you push a guy back and then he punches you that is not a sucker punch. I guarantee you if I push someone in the middle of a brawl, I am looking for the reply shove/punch or what ever. Check out the clip again and get back to me if you don't agree with all the above.

 

Simply putting your hands on someone doesn't negate the punch being a cheapshot/sucker punch. He comes into the melee and extends his arm. Yes, he "touches" Yancy. Yancy wasn't threatened. He knew Frease wasn't looking at him. 100% sucker punch.

So you agree that he should sit for talking trash?

 

Also, his trash talking on the court didn't start the incident. Guyn shoved him or made a move towards his face. Dez Wells pushed him after that movement. Tu is being blamed for basically saying he owns this city. That comment came because Kilpatrick said he couldn't start for UC. Mack shouldn't have had him in at that point, but I have no issue whatsoever with anything anyone said including body bag and gangsta. He shouldn't get a game. He talked.

 

I say his one-gamer is due to the "body bag" comment. It reflects poorly on the university and crosses the line of acceptable behavior/comments.

I say his one-gamer is due to the "body bag" comment. It reflects poorly on the university and crosses the line of acceptable behavior/comments.

 

Did he say that at the presser or shortly after the fight?

Did he say that at the presser or shortly after the fight?

 

Right after the game he said it to a reporter who tweeted it. He then used the "zip em up" metaphor.

Nope, it doesn't. Go back and watch the clip. Who is the first person Frease laid a hand on as he pushed forward into the brawl? Yancey Gates. So Frease pushes into the middle of the battle, extends his arm out and pushes Gates and then Gates throws his punch. Yes, Gates is to the side but if you push a guy back and then he punches you that is not a sucker punch. I guarantee you if I push someone in the middle of a brawl, I am looking for the reply shove/punch or what ever. Check out the clip again and get back to me if you don't agree with all the above.

 

Is there video that clearly shows Frease's hands touching Gates? From the video I've seen it looks like Frease's hands may actually be touching #14 for UC, not Gates. Either way, I don't see him "pushing" anyone, certainly not in an intimidating or threatening way. I see him extending his arms so as to keep space between UC and XU players. Gates was very clearly off to the side and it would be hard to make a convincing case he was threatened by Frease. Frease isn't even looking at Gates. I can't see how this qualifies as anything other than a cheap shot. If it had come from the UC player that Frease was directly facing and had his hands on, maybe, but not Gates.

Right after the game he said it to a reporter who tweeted it. He then used the "zip em up" metaphor.

 

Not worhty of suspension then. During a major confrontation he didn't throw any punches and he made a in the heat of the moment comment. Just not suspension worthy in my opinion.

Is there video that clearly shows Frease's hands touching Gates? From the video I've seen it looks like Frease's hands may actually be touching #14 for UC, not Gates. Either way, I don't see him "pushing" anyone, certainly not in an intimidating or threatening way. I see him extending his arms so as to keep space between UC and XU players. Gates was very clearly off to the side and it would be hard to make a convincing case he was threatened by Frease. Frease isn't even looking at Gates. I can't see how this qualifies as anything other than a cheap shot. If it had come from the UC player that Frease was directly facing and had his hands on, maybe, but not Gates.

 

GT is a UC fan and covers them and his opinion was Gates was looking for a chance to hit Frease. I think you're right and b/c GT said there was a history and his opinion was that Gates was looking for that chance I'll have to side with that train of thought.

GT is a UC fan and covers them and his opinion was Gates was looking for a chance to hit Frease. I think you're right and b/c GT said there was a history and his opinion was that Gates was looking for that chance I'll have to side with that train of thought.

 

I'm sure Yancy wasn't thrilled when Frease blocked his shot and then screamed.

I've never heard of a player getting suspended for trash talking.

 

Maybe it's high time they start doing so. It wouldn't exactly harm the game if there was a little less of it. In fact, it would make it more enjoyable.

Cheap shot yes, sucker punch no. There is a difference.

 

Gates was pushed by Frease before the punch was thrown. It is hard to tell in the video, but Frease may have still had his hand on Gates' left shoulder when Gates threw the punch.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.