Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How do you feel about Coach Matney's handling of Jude

Did Matney dishonor Jude? 52 members have voted

  1. 1. Did Matney dishonor Jude?

    • Yes
      50%
      26
    • No
      50%
      26

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

A lot of discussion in the thread applauding J.J. Jude setting the KHSAA rushing record centered on how the record was set and the way Coach Matney used Jude. I agree with those posters who feel Coach Matney did a disservice to Jude in the way he used him in getting the record. Did Matney want the record for Jude or for himself? Running up yards in games that are well out of hand for no apparent reason other than to get more yards for your running back is clearly poor sportsmanship. I feel Matney did dishonor Jude. What are your thoughts?

  • Replies 81
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that Matney dishonors himself rather than his players.

I don't feel Matney dishonored Jude or did a disservice to Jude. Regardless of how Jude got the record he still had to do the running and he also managed That being said, Matney dishonored the game and showed incredibly poor sportsmanship in how he chose to go after the record. The record means the same to me regardless of how Jude got it but Matney is a piece of work. There is no denying that and I don't see how anyone can defend Matney's actions. In some people's eyes Jude will never be the record holder and that is sad because regardless of how he got his work, he still put in that work. Congrats to Jude.

^ Well said. You sure can't fault the young man for doing what his coach told him to do.

Good thing the KHSAA doesn't care about "fairness" then. There's be a lot whole of records that look different, wouldn't there?

Jude did his job, and I don't think anything can or should detract from that. You play who's on your schedule and you do your best each game. He earned it.

The way I see it is if you rush for over 8K yards in your career your are going to inevitably have to put up some large numbers in some blowout games against weaker teams. Everyone has them on their schedule. The question I would have is how did Homer obtain the record? Did he put up big numbers against inferior opponents? I would think he would have had to in order to break the record.

Good thing the KHSAA doesn't care about "fairness" then. There's be a lot whole of records that look different, wouldn't there?

 

Not to mention a certain state championship.

  • Author

I probably should have titled the thread "How do you feel about Coach Matney's handling of Jude?". The way I titled it is still too close to a commentary on Jude versus a commentary on Matney and his behavior.

I don't see how schedule comes into play here. It's about how the coach handles the schedule. I have no doubt that if Dale Mueller chose to, he could have gotten Pat Towles the all-time passing record by keeping the starters in for 3 or 4 quarters.

I probably should have titled the thread "How do you feel about Coach Matney's handling of Jude?". The way I titled it is still too close to a commentary on Jude versus a commentary on Matney and his behavior.

 

I agree. If you only knew Jude, you would understand what a hard worker that he is. I guarantee you this, at some time this AM and may already have happened, he will be out running and staying in shape even after playing in hard hitting game last night.

The way I see it is if you rush for over 8K yards in your career your are going to inevitably have to put up some large numbers in some blowout games against weaker teams. Everyone has them on their schedule. The question I would have is how did Homer obtain the record? Did he put up big numbers against inferior opponents? I would think he would have had to in order to break the record.

 

This is exactly spot on...after time people forget how certain folks got records and it realy doesn't matter. Jude got the record and deserves it. For Coach Matney it seems as if this may be the consolation prize, because if you can't get past Highlands or CovCath or Boyle County, well then maybe you don't want your very successful time as a coach forgotton, and perhaps having Jude in the books as the man helps console the coach.

I agree. If you only knew Jude, you would understand what a hard worker that he is. I guarantee you this, at some time this AM and may already have happened, he will be out running and staying in shape even after playing in hard hitting game last night.

 

Don't all teams have Saturday morning workout sessions to rid the sore muscles?

Don't all teams have Saturday morning workout sessions to rid the sore muscles?

 

Maybe they do, but you can guarantee that he will do above and beyond what he is supposed to. That is the point. This is my last post on this site. If it has turned into a site that allows grown adults take out their jealousy issues on high school players then I don't want anything to do with it. Good luck to your teams the rest of the way.

Maybe they do, but you can guarantee that he will do above and beyond what he is supposed to. That is the point. This is my last post on this site. If it has turned into a site that allows grown adults take out their jealousy issues on high school players then I don't want anything to do with it. Good luck to your teams the rest of the way.

 

I think I'll stick around to watch people who live vicariously through high school kids get personally insulted when that kid's coach gets criticized.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.