Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Christian Laettner To Coach UK Villains?

Featured Replies

 

Nantz said it, didn't he? Did Packer inspire it?

 

 

 

Blanton is a really good one. Charles Barkley would be another, but he could make anyone's list. And another player was John Caylor from Auburn. He's not really a villain, but the guy seemed to play for 10 years. Also, there's the guard trio from South Carolina that beat Pitino twice in 1997 (the second time on UK's senior day). B.J. McKie was one. Maybe Larry Davis another? Not sure on the third. They broke the defensive pressure much like Simon & Bibby did in the same year's title game.

 

Nope -- all Billy.

 

 

2:20 mark

  • Replies 115
  • Views 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blanton is a really good one. Charles Barkley would be another, but he could make anyone's list. And another player was John Caylor from Auburn. He's not really a villain, but the guy seemed to play for 10 years. Also, there's the guard trio from South Carolina that beat Pitino twice in 1997 (the second time on UK's senior day). B.J. McKie was one. Maybe Larry Davis another? Not sure on the third. They broke the defensive pressure much like Simon & Bibby did in the same year's title game.

 

I kinda kept it to NCAA disappointments, since those are the ones that tend to stick with Wildcat fans the longest (and cut the deepest).

  • Author
Nope -- all Billy.

 

 

2:20 mark

 

Sound doesn't work on this computer, so I'll check it in the morning. Just another reason for me to hate Billy Packer. :lol:

 

Speaking of...maybe Packer should come be the color man for the broadcast. :D

Michael Graham for sure. Add jalen rose as well.

Sound doesn't work on this computer, so I'll check it in the morning. Just another reason for me to hate Billy Packer. :lol:

 

Speaking of...maybe Packer should come be the color man for the broadcast. :D

 

Thing is, he seemed to take a particular joy in saying it ...

The Crispin brothers always come to my mind.

 

I was there the night they lit up Kentucky. It was very impressive.

 

My buddy and I stopped at a gas station in Lexington after the game. A black guy asked us who won the game and my buddy said "these two brothers lit us up." Dude gave us a look like "yeah? Your point?"

Bernie & Ernie

Who was the guard at Ole Miss that was like 4 feet tall, Man I really couldnt stand watching him.

 

^

 

 

Chris Warren?

I am pretty sure he is talking before Chris Warren. As many know I have a disdain for PGs below 5'8" or any other small player for that fact and that guy was no exception.

Edited by bugatti

  • Author

Some tidbits from Laettner's KSR interview:

 

* He was very stand-up & straight-shooting. Said the UK/Duke game was certainly one of the best college games ever & added that from a personal standpoint, probably his best game ever.

 

* Said he was "afraid" of the 1992 UK team because of their offensive style & how they just kept shooting. Said he was "afraid of losing" & thought that his game fed off that fear.

 

* In response to stepping on Aminu Timberlake, he said he feels "embarrassed" and "humiliated" for doing that. Said Coach K really got on him during the game & then the following week as they were preparing for the Final Four.

 

* Also in response to Timberlake, he said on the previous possession Richie Farmer had pushed him into the goal. At the time he thought Timberlake was the one who'd pushed him, so his stepping was retaliation against the wrong guy.

 

* Said Jeff Sheppard was the person who contacted him about the Villains game & he immediately agreed to do it. He really embraces the idea and said he likes it. Knows he's going to be booed out of the gym, but he says he wants to have some mic time at the beginning of the game to let the UK fans know how much he respects the 1992 team.

 

* Even though he & Pitino did the commercial together, Laettner said Pitino has "never warmed up" to him. He said he felt like Pitino has a disliking for him. Says the total opposite about Jamal Mashburn. Says Mashburn is very friendly and respectful and they have had good interaction with one another.

 

* Said he's very understanding of why UK fans hate him & he's very aware of the "I Hate Laettner" shirts.

 

* Said Dan Patrick wants him to drive through Kentucky wearing his Duke jersey & a bumper sticker that says "I Am Laettner" and see what happens.

 

* Laettner says he goes "musky fishing" (whatever that is) once or twice a year in Kentucky.

 

 

Overall, it was a very nice interview. I think Laettner, even though he'll get booed like crazy, is doing really well with this whole thing.

* Said Dan Patrick wants him to drive through Kentucky wearing his Duke jersey & a bumper sticker that says "I Am Laettner" and see what happens.
I would not advise that at all. Especially through certain areas of Kentucky.

 

* Laettner says he goes "musky fishing" (whatever that is) once or twice a year in Kentucky.
Musky = Muskellunge.

 

Kentucky has two of the premier Musky Fisheries in the country, Cave Run Lake and Green River Lake.

I seem to recall having a strong dislike for Taquan Dean, but I may be misremembering.

 

Matt Walsh and Joakim Noah are the worst for me.

Or it could have been Francisco Garcia. I remember UK fans HATING the passion he displayed when he played. Something about players shouldn't get so pumped up, or something. Don't remember all the particulars.

 

Dean was pretty much a money-three-shot, though. But wasn't nearly as outwardly celebratory as Garcia. They played together, so maybe you've meshed the two in your mind.

Bernie & Ernie

 

Showing your age, Clyde. I think they played just after the "jump ball after every made basket" was eliminated.biggrin.gif

I have to admit that when I first saw the thread title, a vision of a pro wrestling-type event popped into my head, complete with Laettner firing up his troops by jumping up and down on an Aminu Timberlake effigy, while a continuous loop of "the shot" plays on the big screen.

Plenty of Big East teams to pick "bad guys" from.

Just saw the villains possible roster on the Kentucky Kernel's twitter account. Terrence Williams is expected to be a villain. As is Tyler Hansbrough. Hansbrough is upsetting to me. I don't know if I can properly root for the villains with Hansbrough as a villain. That really really sucks . Presale ticket sales start tomorrow. The rest go on sale Monday.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.