Just an IDEA....

RockPride

I went to public school my whole "pre-High School life", then went to Trinity, played football, like I ALWAYS knew I would (at least since I moved to Louisville), did well, won state, played in college.

HOW DARE YOU, those who think that I went to public school for 8 some-odd years, to think that I WAS THE PROPERTY of BALLARD and such schools. This argument perplexes me more than any.,

Slavery ended in 1865....so no one owns anyone.

As a parent you have a right to choose where your child goes to school.

However, as mandated by the Kentucky State School Board and Department of Education, the KHSAA has a right to legislate scholastic sports in the state of Kentucky.

Participating in high school sports is a priviledge, not a right.

Much has been made of this private/public split, but far too often the public school recruiting is overlooked.

Slavery ended in 1865....so no one owns anyone.

As a parent you have a right to choose where your child goes to school.

However, as mandated by the Kentucky State School Board and Department of Education, the KHSAA has a right to legislate scholastic sports in the state of Kentucky.

Participating in high school sports is a priviledge, not a right.

Much has been made of this private/public split, but far too often the public school recruiting is overlooked.

I agree. But if any restrictions are put forth they better be put on public high schools as well.

I do not agree...I am an AMERICAN...I can CHOOSE where I want my children to attend school.

LOL I agree with this. Trust me if you have read my posts. But as the rules read now unless someone fights this in the courts or lawmakers change it the KHSAA controls sports like dictators.

The argument public school people say is there not denying your right to choose, but if you make that choice they will have to sit out a year. Which is hogwash.

Why do all these public school officals who claim to care about kids, make ammendants or idea's that harm more kids than help them?

If you read Bylaw 10 (the recruting one) close enough and have little to no life, you could say that anything done for one athlete at a school not done for all athletes at a school is considered a violation. Imagine how many times a coach has given one of his players a ride home. Scrutinized closely enough, this amounts to recruting.

I do not agree...I am an AMERICAN...I can CHOOSE where I want my children to attend school.

No one is taking that choice away. You can send your kids to any school they choose. They can even play athletics. The only point being made is who should your kids be competing against. The KHSAA has said they cannot compete against Oak Hill Academy. Are you upset with this decision? They have limited how many times your kid CAN compete in a season. Are you upset with the limitations they have placed on your child in this regard?

Or are you just upset because they are placing a limitation you disagree with?

No one is taking that choice away. You can send your kids to any school they choose. They can even play athletics. The only point being made is who should your kids be competing against. The KHSAA has said they cannot compete against Oak Hill Academy. Are you upset with this decision? They have limited how many times your kid CAN compete in a season. Are you upset with the limitations they have placed on your child in this regard?

Or are you just upset because they are placing a limitation you disagree with?

Yes, I am upset about the Oak Hill restriction. I view the public/private debate as unsolvable. One side views unequal results as evidence of unfair rules (or as evidence of rule violations). The other side says that unequal results are a result of time, effort and resources. Any reasonable compromise with privates will not change the results on the field, so those who favor separation won't be satisfied with any compromise. I feel very strongly that separation is grosssly unfair to the private schools. How can those two positions be resolved? I really think that the solution is on the time, effort and resources side. By time effort and resources I don't mean the effort of individual teams or coaches. Private schools don't have exclusive rights to hard work. The real difference maker is the support network for the school and teams. If there is to be a solution, I think that is where it has to happen. If there are rules within individual school districts that are in the way, change the rules or change the leadership.