Beach Ball Classic Tourney 2011

I've always wanted to go to the Beach Ball Classic. Back in the day Elkhorn City went when Randy McCoy was coaching there, that would have been around 1993-1994. Kevin Garnett was still at Maulden (sp?) at that time and Elkhorn City played them, Todd "Heff" Conley scored like 42 in that game. I have been fascinated by the tourney ever since. That would have happened around the time I was seven years old, but I have grew up listening to tales of that tourney my whole life. First shot of the game Conley got swatted about eight rows deep by KG but from all accounts went on to put on a shooting clinic for the rest of the game. I have heard from a few different guys who played on the team around that time and they said that when the team was leaving the last day there was a couple big time FSU recruits shouting "Hey Conley!" and doing the Florida State chop motion as if to say, come on man, come to FSU.

Always as premiere of a high school tournament as there is. Then and now.

KY teams have done well in this tourney.

2010, GRC runner-up in Consolation brackett.

2009, Scott Co 3rd in Consolation brackett.

2008, Elliott Co runner up in Consolation brackett.

2007, Scott Co didn't place.

2006, Scott Co placed 5th.

2001, North Hardin placed 3rd.

2000, Ballard won the tourney.

I feel sure depending on the draw that Ballard and Scott County will do well again. In tourneys like this who you draw the 1st round and who you get the winner/loser of often determines how well you will do. Sometimes the style of the team you draw might be tough, you just never know. I am not sure if this tourney seeds these teams 1 through 16 like they do down in Fort Myers. Again though I am sure Kentucky will be well reprsented by these 2 great programs!

I feel sure depending on the draw that Ballard and Scott County will do well again. In tourneys like this who you draw the 1st round and who you get the winner/loser of often determines how well you will do. Sometimes the style of the team you draw might be tough, you just never know. I am not sure if this tourney seeds these teams 1 through 16 like they do down in Fort Myers. Again though I am sure Kentucky will be well reprsented by these 2 great programs!

They don't draw or seed but they are placed. Agree Last year GRC played The Boys and Girls team first game, and lost and this put GRC in the Consolation bracket. The Boys and Girls team lost in the finals of the winners bracket and GRC lost in the finals of the Consolation brackett.

Agree I too think Ballard and Scott Co will do well.

Milton has reloaded. They return Evan Nolte and Shaq Johnson who have committed to Virginia and Auburn I think, and they have gotten transfers Charles Mann who just committed to Georgia, and Tevin Glass one of the top underclassmen in the country. Plus I believe their JV was like 29-1. St Edwards and Lone Peak both have great programs and Miami Sr. here in Florida is getting their program back to where is used to be which was tops in the country. I can't wait. I will go to Fort Myers most likely as I do every year, but I will definitely watch this one on the internet.

Posted by J. Demling on on the Fort Myers and Beach Ball tourney:

The state of Kentucky will be sending three teams into a pair of the biggest high school basketball tournaments in the country around the holidays.

The City of Palms has announced its field of 16, which includes Trinity. The Shamrocks are in a loaded field that includes Las Vegas Bishop Gorman (Shabazz Muhammad), Plano (Texas) Christian Academy (Julius Randle) and Montverde (Fla.) (Dakari Johnson) plus many more teams expected in the preseason top 25 nationally.

And then in the Beach Ball Classic also will have Bishop Gorman, Prestonwood and Chicago Whitney Young in the field, along with Ballard and Scott County.

All three of those in-state teams should be ranked among the top five teams in the state of Kentucky during the preseason.

This is what J. Demling had to say about Randle:

Wow! Julius Randle is the real deal. It was my first extended chance to see the Texas Titans junior and he didn’t disappoint. His team went 0-2 but Randle was sensational. A lot better handle than I expected. In the loss to the Long Island Lighting, Randle made a late three-point play where he went coast-to-coast to help put his team ahead but they couldn’t hold on. He had 14 in that game and 19 in a loss to Baltimore Stars.

I've always wanted to go to the Beach Ball Classic. Back in the day Elkhorn City went when Randy McCoy was coaching there, that would have been around 1993-1994. Kevin Garnett was still at Maulden (sp?) at that time and Elkhorn City played them, Todd "Heff" Conley scored like 42 in that game. I have been fascinated by the tourney ever since. That would have happened around the time I was seven years old, but I have grew up listening to tales of that tourney my whole life. First shot of the game Conley got swatted about eight rows deep by KG but from all accounts went on to put on a shooting clinic for the rest of the game. I have heard from a few different guys who played on the team around that time and they said that when the team was leaving the last day there was a couple big time FSU recruits shouting "Hey Conley!" and doing the Florida State chop motion as if to say, come on man, come to FSU.

Always as premiere of a high school tournament as there is. Then and now.

Remember that game and that week well. Hef went on to set a few records that week.

Remember that game and that week well. Hef went on to set a few records that week.

That's what I've always heard. Basically had a buzz around him all week long, but I just assumed a lot of it was exaggerated.

One thing about it, few players have ever came out of Kentucky who were better scorers. Nothing really panned out after high school, but as a high school athlete the state saw few in the 90's who were better. A pro scout who travels the small circut (NAIA, DII, DIII, high school etc.) once told me at a Pikeville College game that Todd Heff Conley was the only player he had seen who could have played pro ball in all three sports. Somehow it had came up in discussion that I was from Elkhorn City, he then asked whatever happened to that big Conley boy from up there. I told him and then he responded with that.

I had always heard about him tearing it up at the Beach Ball that week though, and it is the sole reason I always pay attention to that tournament more than any other prep basketball tourney.