March 25, 201115 yr After all the threads about X's and O's coaches and Cal and so on and so forth I just felt that he needed his own thread. I can tell you that although I dislike Duke, I appreciate their program(although Jason Williams isn't helping in that area). I respect what Duke has become and especially some of their player, in all honesty it's very rare that you hear about too many former Duke players making waves in the media for the wrong reasons. I really do appreciate Coach K, he's shown that you can win in a variety of ways. I've seen many a specials on Duke, I can't help but watch their practices any chance I get, and see how disciplined both Coach K and his players are. I completely respect the guy, LOVE how he turned around our Olympic team and think he's up there as one of the top 5 coaches of all time(maybe top 2-3); scary thing is I think he's still got another decade or more left in him. I just wanted to say this as a UK fan, that bleeds pretty darn blue(for UK), that Coach K, and what he's done at Duke has my respect. I for one will be sad to see the day that he walks away from coaching.
March 25, 201115 yr Author As a UNC fan, I dislike the Dukies, but totally respect Coach K... The way I see it, as an American it's hard not to like him, but after all of that you have to respect the way the guy goes about his buiseness. Like I said, not a Duke fan, but I'll cheer for Coach K any day, unless he's coaching against UK.
March 25, 201115 yr After all the threads about X's and O's coaches and Cal and so on and so forth I just felt that he needed his own thread. I can tell you that although I dislike Duke, I appreciate their program(although Jason Williams isn't helping in that area). I respect what Duke has become and especially some of their player, in all honesty it's very rare that you hear about too many former Duke players making waves in the media for the wrong reasons. I really do appreciate Coach K, he's shown that you can win in a variety of ways. I've seen many a specials on Duke, I can't help but watch their practices any chance I get, and see how disciplined both Coach K and his players are. I completely respect the guy, LOVE how he turned around our Olympic team and think he's up there as one of the top 5 coaches of all time(maybe top 2-3); scary thing is I think he's still got another decade or more left in him. I just wanted to say this as a UK fan, that bleeds pretty darn blue(for UK), that Coach K, and what he's done at Duke has my respect. I for one will be sad to see the day that he walks away from coaching. Great post. I'm envious of Duke's success but respect every thing there is about Duke's program. Are there fans smug and cocky? Yeah sure they are. But at least the program can back it up.
March 25, 201115 yr Author Leather, I'm not gonna lie I could say the same for the program you support, BUTTTT, still it's true. Sometimes you just have to recognize when someone is worthy of recognition. I don't think any one would deny that Coach K or, the team you pull for are both very worthy of recognition.
March 25, 201115 yr Great post. I'm envious of Duke's success but respect every thing there is about Duke's program. Are there fans smug and cocky? Yeah sure they are. But at least the program can back it up. Every successful program has smug and cocky fans regardless of the sport or what level the sport is on from high school to the pros. It is refreshing to see a Duke related thread that I don't have to defend Duke in. Especially after last night.
March 25, 201115 yr In the early to Mid 90's I always heard that Coach K really wanted to come to KY. In 95 when rumors of Pitino to the Nets were running rampant, I believe Coach K waited until the Nets hired someone else (Ironically it was Cal) before signing an extention with Duke. Of course the next year Pitino did leave and the rest is history. Of course this could never be proven unless Coach K himself stated it and I am sure that would never happen...never the less, he has done an amazing job at Duke and is one of if not the best basketball coaches ever!
March 25, 201115 yr After all the threads about X's and O's coaches and Cal and so on and so forth I just felt that he needed his own thread. I can tell you that although I dislike Duke, I appreciate their program(although Jason Williams isn't helping in that area). I respect what Duke has become and especially some of their player, in all honesty it's very rare that you hear about too many former Duke players making waves in the media for the wrong reasons. I really do appreciate Coach K, he's shown that you can win in a variety of ways. I've seen many a specials on Duke, I can't help but watch their practices any chance I get, and see how disciplined both Coach K and his players are. I completely respect the guy, LOVE how he turned around our Olympic team and think he's up there as one of the top 5 coaches of all time(maybe top 2-3); scary thing is I think he's still got another decade or more left in him. I just wanted to say this as a UK fan, that bleeds pretty darn blue(for UK), that Coach K, and what he's done at Duke has my respect. I for one will be sad to see the day that he walks away from coaching. I agree and I think almost all UK fans would agree. Duke is the the team UK fans love to hate but they respect Coach K and the Duke program.
March 25, 201115 yr In the early to Mid 90's I always heard that Coach K really wanted to come to KY. In 95 when rumors of Pitino to the Nets were running rampant, I believe Coach K waited until the Nets hired someone else (Ironically it was Cal) before signing an extention with Duke. Of course the next year Pitino did leave and the rest is history. Of course this could never be proven unless Coach K himself stated it and I am sure that would never happen...never the less, he has done an amazing job at Duke and is one of if not the best basketball coaches ever! CM Newton approached him and made an offer before he hired Pitino. Obviously he turned him down.
March 25, 201115 yr Anyone who is a true college basketball fan has to have a great deal of respect for Coach K. Not that anyone is counting, but Duke has only been past the Sweet 16 once in the last seven years.
March 25, 201115 yr Anyone who is a true college basketball fan has to have a great deal of respect for Coach K. Not that anyone is counting, but Duke has only been past the Sweet 16 once in the last seven years. Good thing Duke made it count. :thumb: But what is the stat, they've made it to the Sweet 16 13 of the last 16 or something to that nature? Not many teams can say that.
March 25, 201115 yr Good thing Duke made it count. :thumb: But what is the stat, they've made it to the Sweet 16 13 of the last 16 or something to that nature? Not many teams can say that. They certainly made it count. It is a surprising stat though.
March 25, 201115 yr I have a tremendous respect for what he has done as a coach. I just can't take his bitter beer face when he gets mad. Gives me the creeps.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.