Duke Should Not Be a #1 Seed

UKMustangFan

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point I think its conceded that Kansas and Ohio State are locks at #1. I'd say even with a first game meltdown in conference tourny it would have to be earth rattling to really shake either from the top. After that its very hard to deny the winner of the Big East a #1 after surviving the Big East. The question is now, has Duke played itself out of the #1 seed or not?

I'd say when broken down objectively based upon records and stuff a few teams stand out about the rest. Duke, Notre Dame, Texas, Purdue, BYU, San Diego State, and surprise but legitimate chance UNC.

Duke and Notre Dame probably have the inside track on this last #1 seed. ND can easily claim it with a Big East run, course they can also easily lose it with an early Big East Tourny exit. Duke wins the ACC its probably theirs, they lose to UNC or worse, to someone else, I'd say they lose the #1 seed option.

I think at this point BYU and San Diego State have eliminated themselves from a #1 seed unless all heck breaks loose next week and BYU runs the MWC tourny with ease. San Diego State can't lose twice to BYU and still sneak the #1 seed away unless they revenge those losses (and all heck breaks loose elsewhere). BYU's 3 losses hurts them when compared to lossed by a Duke or ND.

Texas hurt themself with the collapse a few weeks ago and I'd say barring surprises is embedded as a sure #2. Same with Purdue. Loss to Iowa hurt. They'd need a convincing win against Ohio State and a few losses of devestating fashion to other teams to really make them a #1.

So, now I mention UNC, why!!?? Well, I hate to say it but they are quite hot right about now. They just won the ACC and beat Duke in relatively convincing fashion. 6 losses early hurt. I'd say all their losses minus G-Tech were to legit teams. Question is, do early season woes hurt a team that obviously is peaking now? Would winning the ACC Tournament next week be enough to give them the edge on Notre Dame, Texas, BYU, etc???

Fact is, I'd say the fourth #1 seed is by no means a guarantee to any one team just yet. A few teams have a better claim to it, but all teams I named have opportunities. Thus, the verdict, it will be claimed by game on the court. Duke wins ACC I'd say they have a lot of claim, only thing muddying that decision would be an ND Big East win.

At this point I think its conceded that Kansas and Ohio State are locks at #1. I'd say even with a first game meltdown in conference tourny it would have to be earth rattling to really shake either from the top. After that its very hard to deny the winner of the Big East a #1 after surviving the Big East. The question is now, has Duke played itself out of the #1 seed or not?

I'd say when broken down objectively based upon records and stuff a few teams stand out about the rest. Duke, Notre Dame, Texas, Purdue, BYU, San Diego State, and surprise but legitimate chance UNC.

Duke and Notre Dame probably have the inside track on this last #1 seed. ND can easily claim it with a Big East run, course they can also easily lose it with an early Big East Tourny exit. Duke wins the ACC its probably theirs, they lose to UNC or worse, to someone else, I'd say they lose the #1 seed option.

I think at this point BYU and San Diego State have eliminated themselves from a #1 seed unless all heck breaks loose next week and BYU runs the MWC tourny with ease. San Diego State can't lose twice to BYU and still sneak the #1 seed away unless they revenge those losses (and all heck breaks loose elsewhere). BYU's 3 losses hurts them when compared to lossed by a Duke or ND.

Texas hurt themself with the collapse a few weeks ago and I'd say barring surprises is embedded as a sure #2. Same with Purdue. Loss to Iowa hurt. They'd need a convincing win against Ohio State and a few losses of devestating fashion to other teams to really make them a #1.

So, now I mention UNC, why!!?? Well, I hate to say it but they are quite hot right about now. They just won the ACC and beat Duke in relatively convincing fashion. 6 losses early hurt. I'd say all their losses minus G-Tech were to legit teams. Question is, do early season woes hurt a team that obviously is peaking now? Would winning the ACC Tournament next week be enough to give them the edge on Notre Dame, Texas, BYU, etc???

Fact is, I'd say the fourth #1 seed is by no means a guarantee to any one team just yet. A few teams have a better claim to it, but all teams I named have opportunities. Thus, the verdict, it will be claimed by game on the court. Duke wins ACC I'd say they have a lot of claim, only thing muddying that decision would be an ND Big East win.

Great post.

It's very very muddy.....what if BYU loses in the conference finals to New Mexico, UL, St. John's, Syracuse or UConn wins the Big East by beating ND and Pitt along the way, UNC and Duke play in ACC finals with winner winning by less than 5, Texas beats Kansas in Big12 semifinals then loses to Kansas State in the Finals and Ohio State loses in the Big 10 Finals to Purdue. Then what? All of those scenarios happening at the same time are possible and it seems like even one of them happening can shift the 1 seeds to anything.

I think what it boils down to is that this tourney is wide open and for the first time in a long time seeds may mean nothing.

^ I am beyond tired of hearing about Duke hate from UK fans like that.

Just because people post something about Duke that you A. Don't like, and/or B. You don't agree with, doesn't make them wrong. You are right about one thing, We absolutely hate Duke.

With all due respect, I've always placed the Conference tournament winner on a higher pedestal than the regular season winner. If they win the conference tournament, they SHOULD be a #1 seed. Whoever wins the Big East as long as its one of the top 3 teams SHOULD be a #1 seed. Whoever wins the Big 12 between Kansas and Texas SHOULD be a #1 seed. And I think Ohio St. gets it unless they lose today and lose in the first round of their conference tournament.

Agreed :thumb:

I think the 1 seeds will/should be:

Ohio St

Kansas/Texas

Pitt

Duke

Any one of those 5 could get a 1 seed and I'd be fine with it. No way BYU deserves to be a 1 seed. That's a joke, IMO.

Agreed :thumb:

I think the 1 seeds will/should be:

Ohio St

Kansas/Texas

Pitt

Duke

Any one of those 5 could get a 1 seed and I'd be fine with it. No way BYU deserves to be a 1 seed. That's a joke, IMO.

No way Texas is a #1. They don't deserve it whatsoever.

Just because people post something about Duke that you A. Don't like, and/or B. You don't agree with, doesn't make them wrong. You are right about one thing, We absolutely hate Duke.

Who is this "we" you speak of? Please tell me you aren't talking about UK fans....

I don't have an opinion whether Duke should get a #1. I don't have a problem with it if they do.

But, I don't think winning your conference should be a pre-requisite for getting a #1 seed in the Big Dance.

It's easy to tell who hates Duke and can't be objective and who hates Duke and can be objective.