Duke Should Not Be a #1 Seed

UKMustangFan

Agreed :thumb:

I think the 1 seeds will/should be:

Ohio St

Kansas/Texas

Pitt

Duke

Any one of those 5 could get a 1 seed and I'd be fine with it. No way BYU deserves to be a 1 seed. That's a joke, IMO.

Agreed. BYU should be happy if they get a 2 seed, IMO.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have an opinion whether Duke should get a #1. I don't have a problem with it if they do.

But, I don't think winning your conference should be a pre-requisite for getting a #1 seed in the Big Dance.

I don't necessarily have a problem with it, but just feel (and this goes for any team, UK included), that if you can't win your own conference, you shouldn't be a #1. JMO.

Also, I do think Duke will get the 4th #1, regardless of how they perform in the ACC tournament.

I don't necessarily have a problem with it, but just feel (and this goes for any team, UK included), that if you can't win your own conference, you shouldn't be a #1. JMO.

Also, I do think Duke will get the 4th #1, regardless of how they perform in the ACC tournament.

So you do not believe multiple #1 seeds can come from the same conference?

So you do not believe multiple #1 seeds can come from the same conference?

I don't think in most cases they can/should. Now if a situation arises where (we'll use the ACC as an example) Duke & UNC are tied atop the conference (15-1, 14-2) and are both top 5 teams, then I'd say it could be deserved, but I'm talking more along the lines of you weren't good enough to win your conference, and the team that did win it has no shot at a #1. (Like the ACC this year.)

Oh, I get it. You mean like not being objective about UK.

Very true. I try to be objective and rational in all my posts whether it is about UK or Duke or Boyle County but I guess due to the numbers on a Ky based board that sentiment is impossible to reciprocate. I have learned who I can and can't have a rational Duke discussion with and for the record UKMF has always been one of the rational ones. This thread doesn't bother me at all and while I think if Duke wins the ACC tourney they should be a 1 seed I understand the discussion.

Very true. I try to be objective and rational in all my posts whether it is about UK or Duke or Boyle County but I guess due to the numbers on a Ky based board that sentiment is impossible to reciprocate. I have learned who I can and can't have a rational Duke discussion with and for the record UKMF has always been one of the rational ones. This thread doesn't bother me at all and while I think if Duke wins the ACC tourney they should be a 1 seed I understand the discussion.

:thumb:

If Duke wins the ACC Tournament I have no problem with them being a #1 seed. I am not a Duke fan but I do not think that your seeding in confrence should determine your seeding in the NCAA Tournament. By that logic since West Virginia was a #3 seed in the Big East Confrence ( http://www.bigeast.org/portals/5/fls/19400/pdfs/Men_Basketball/2009_2010_Weekly_Release/MBB_200910_Final.pdf) then they should not have played their way into that #2 seed in the NCAA Tournament. I think every UK fan out there will say WVU was well deserving of that #2 seed.

Duke is still one of the best teams in the country. They are not playing their best basketball right now, but that does not change the fact that they are capable of beating anyone on any given night. Most teams would have folded up shop with the loss of a player like Irving. Where would UK be with Knight injured?

My # 1 seeds would be:

* Ohio State

* Pitt

* Kansas

* Duke/BYU/Notre Dame

The last spot would be given to Duke if all three teams go out of confrence tournaments at the same time. If Duke goes out before Notre Dame then ND is a #1. If both go out early BYU sneaks up.

I'd say the lower #1 seeds and the upper #2 seeds will be pretty similar. The lower #2 seeds and most #3 and #4 seeds will be right around each other. I'd say this is one tournament where unless you are Ohio State and Kansas you can have little arguement with where you are seeded because a lot of teams at one time or another have let opportunities slip through their fingers when it comes to securing a higher seed. Will be an interesting shake all around. Expect Conference tournys to be the tip of the Madness Iceberg.

If Duke wins the ACC Tournament I have no problem with them being a #1 seed. I am not a Duke fan but I do not think that your seeding in confrence should determine your seeding in the NCAA Tournament. By that logic since West Virginia was a #3 seed in the Big East Confrence ( http://www.bigeast.org/portals/5/fls/19400/pdfs/Men_Basketball/2009_2010_Weekly_Release/MBB_200910_Final.pdf) then they should not have played their way into that #2 seed in the NCAA Tournament. I think every UK fan out there will say WVU was well deserving of that #2 seed.

Duke is still one of the best teams in the country. They are not playing their best basketball right now, but that does not change the fact that they are capable of beating anyone on any given night. Most teams would have folded up shop with the loss of a player like Irving. Where would UK be with Knight injured?

My # 1 seeds would be:

* Ohio State

* Pitt

* Kansas

* Duke/BYU/Notre Dame

The last spot would be given to Duke if all three teams go out of confrence tournaments at the same time. If Duke goes out before Notre Dame then ND is a #1. If both go out early BYU sneaks up.

I don't know where UK would be without Knight but I know where they are without Enes, are the two the same there? :D

Actually I agree very much with your post but it wouldn't be a thread without a lament for Enes. :thumb:

You know, the more I look at it, the more I think if they win the conference tournament, UNC will get the 4th #1 seed...

Too much damage early in the season IMO, but I think they are cemented into that #2 level if they at least make it to the championship game. Who woulda thunk it 2 months ago?

You know, the more I look at it, the more I think if they win the conference tournament, UNC will get the 4th #1 seed...

I was thinking the same thing. If they make the finals they are a lock at a 2 seed. If they win/beat Duke in the finals I think it is highly possible to see them get that 1 seed. Especially if some of the other teams help them out by losing before Sunday.

Again, at the same time, this is the first year for me where seeding means next to nothing. It is just so wide open.