February 25, 201115 yr I wouldn't overblow this leadership nonsense; if that was the case, they wouldn't be winning close games at home or on neutral sites as they have done this year; it would be more impacting than just on the road; Knight is their unquestioned leader, too much in the Arkansas game; when at home, they are able to get through because of their confidence and usual lead; on the road they lack the mental toughness to make a play when the chips are down. Let's go a step farther. You have been very complimentary of UC over the last few games, and a HUGE factor in their success has been the on court leadership of Rashad Bishop. He is a calming influence in the huddle, let's everyone know where they are supposed to be when things get out of sorts on D and in general just has his team's belief that they can look to him when things get tough. If he didn't score a single point, UC is better with him playing than sitting. That stuff is far from "nonsense"...
February 25, 201115 yr What is wrong with UK??? The obvious statement is they are way too young. Their senior hardly played last year and other upperclassmen are not ready for the leadership role. How about this: 1. Maybe, just maybe, last years group of freshman were the best group of freshman ever assembled. Seriously. That group was sooo talented that they would have such big leads and give them up, only to come on at the end. If your up 20+ in a game, even if you cant close a game out, its hard to lose that big of a lead. 2. This years freshmen are not as good as last years. Period. 3. Patrick Patterson is one of the all time great UK players, his guidance on and off the floor was and is missed this season. 4. Nobody has come close to replacing Patterson. His influence is gone and is missed. It is unfair to want to force a guy like Darius Miller into that role if he does not want it. 5. Anytime UK goes on the road they get the home teams best game. Arkansas might not go to the tourney this season, but beating UK was great for them and their coach. On a neutral floor (SEC Tourney) look for them to do well. UK always travels well. Their fans always show up, even when they are not supposed to. Case in point was when the SEC tourney was moved to Ga Tech because of a tornado, only a select group of tickets were given out, and what happened, the place was still full of UK fans.
February 25, 201115 yr I think it comes down to leadership and the lack of a true offensive presence in the paint. Jorts plays hard and has done more than I expected him to do but when he's your best "big" that isn't saying much. Last year they had three behemoths in the lane and some great athletes on the perimeter. This year they have some very good shooters from the arc with no bailout in the paint when those shots don't fall. I'd love to see a Cal team with a mix of these two qualities. That could be next season depending on who stays/leaves for the draft.
February 25, 201115 yr I think it comes down to leadership and the lack of a true offensive presence in the paint. Jorts plays hard and has done more than I expected him to do but when he's your best "big" that isn't saying much. Last year they had three behemoths in the lane and some great athletes on the perimeter. This year they have some very good shooters from the arc with no bailout in the paint when those shots don't fall. I'd love to see a Cal team with a mix of these two qualities. That could be next season depending on who stays/leaves for the draft. Agreed, his primary objective on offense is setting good screens which does actually do pretty well, and rebounding. You don't see him calling for the ball down low and I'd venture to say that probably 60% of his baskets come on put backs. I know someone will say it's higher but he does get alot of easy baskets especially in transition simply by hustling.
February 25, 201115 yr The 6 guys that do play are good enough to compete with anyone. Some deficiencies in their games, but collectively they are good enough to have won 3-4 more games right now. After that the drop off is tremendous. Competing against guys like that on a daily basis will stunt your growth and UK's margin of error is very little. If one guy is off or someone gets in foul trouble.... well, UK will struggle to win or lose. Obviously leadership is lacking, but that should be expected. Darius and DeAndre are just not those guys.
February 25, 201115 yr The 6 guys that do play are good enough to compete with anyone. Some deficiencies in their games, but collectively they are good enough to have won 3-4 more games right now. After that the drop off is tremendous. Competing against guys like that on a daily basis will stunt your growth and UK's margin of error is very little. If one guy is off or someone gets in foul trouble.... well, UK will struggle to win or lose. Obviously leadership is lacking, but that should be expected. Darius and DeAndre are just not those guys. Very well put.
February 25, 201115 yr If this is a down year, I'll take it. It wasn't long ago that BCG had us in the NIT and that Tubby just quit recruiting or better yet "play makers" didn't want to come to UK because the style of play was "boring". Cal will get this all figured out, just give him time! It's year two. He hasn't even had time to recruit a "bench" or role players that will fit his mold. As far as what is wrong with this year's team: mental toughness This team doesn't have the mind set to say "OK, we're going to defend you and worry about scoring points later." Instead, we play the "We just want to score more points than you" game. This is what you get when you have freshman that are leading the team. And I know some of you think this is gong to be the norm at UK, well I don't think so. Lets just give the man some time. Until Cal gets a couple more years to recruit, your going to have to take the good with the bad. This team is either going to fold or they are going to learn from this and start fighting back.
February 25, 201115 yr Keep in mind the are missing one piece to their recruiting puzzle since one was ruled ineligible by the NCAA. I'm sure they would be a different team with Enes playing.
February 25, 201115 yr I think if (and it's a big if), Knight returns next season, he will start to fill the Patterson role. It also appears from everything I've read, that Gilchrist is just a natural leader. Those things should drastically help, not to mention the influx of elite talent that is going to happen come next October.
February 25, 201115 yr Lack of an on court leader is the biggest reason... :thumb:I agree. Other than that is the main things that have been mentioned.....lack of depth, weak insiide game,etc.. I read some that say that U.K. is just not that good, that imo is ridiculous. Not as good as last season of course but stll not bad at all. What I believe one problem is that maybe the coaching staff was counting on Kanter way too much and I know alot of fans on here were. I don't think that alot of thought/work was put in if Kanter would not be eligible. I know that on here it seemed that most was just wainting on him. Should the coaching staff have had that attitude and not made plans on what to do "if" Kanter wouldn't be playing then that is one huge reason and that part does fall on Cal. BTW, our (U.K.) record is not terrible and it may be a realization and look in tHe future with alot of one and done players comng in. 5 FRESHMEN left the program last season along with the one graduated leader in Patterson. So, that is basically losing your entire team. That is how Cal does things I don't necessarily like it but I/other fans are just going to have to get used to it, Cal isn't going to change and I also feel sure that he doesn't care what we think. Also, I am not going to go on abouT the lack of depth.only 6 maybe 7 players anymore. John Wooden always played just 6 to 7 people and I think that I heard that he did o.k. :idunno:. Other coaches/ champonship teams won with only 6 or 7 playing most if not all the games. I, like most get frustratd and vent as well (my post on the Arkansas game is an example) but I for one am not giving up on this season and if anyone is jumping now then please don't come back :irked:, I am certainly glad you'e not players. What it all comes down to is that U.K, will be fine and all of this fan panici/questioning is normal and expected. Only the names in the hot seat change, nothing else ever will.
February 25, 201115 yr Also, I am not going to go on abouT the lack of depth.only 6 maybe 7 players anymore. John Wooden always played just 6 to 7 people and I think that I heard that he did o.k. :idunno:. Other coaches/ champonship teams won with only 6 or 7 playing most if not all the games. As I have said, many teams have won only playing 6 or 7 guys, but no team has won with players 7-10 being so bad.
February 26, 201115 yr Wanting a kid to be a leader doesn't make him one unfortunately. Just not who Miller is on or off the court... I agree GT and I thought that he may have stepped up this season to take that role. There is imo no one on this team that is a leader or ready for that role. Maybe Knight will take it next season.
February 26, 201115 yr As I have said, many teams have won only playing 6 or 7 guys, but no team has won with players 7-10 being so bad. I realize what you are saying but imo constantly bringing that up doesn't help anyone. You have to go with what you've got so go with it and make no excuses is all I am saying, don't give anyone an excuse, excuses are giving a reason to lose.jmo
February 26, 201115 yr I think if (and it's a big if), Knight returns next season, he will start to fill the Patterson role. It also appears from everything I've read, that Gilchrist is just a natural leader. Those things should drastically help, not to mention the influx of elite talent that is going to happen come next October. :thumb:
February 26, 201115 yr This should not be hard to figure out. UK's lack of depth is their main problem. They have too many starters playing too many minutes and it shows in crunch time. Look at the losses they have incurred and in most of them at the end of the game they have made a critical mistake, be it turnover, bad shot, hesitation to take the big shot or whatever. I credit that to fatigue which more than anything weighs on the mental part of the game. Look at the minutes that Knight has played and understand that he is a 2 guard playing the point position and in too many cases he has looked mentally drained at the end of close games. You can't have the floor leader worn out and expect him to function clearly in every critical situation. If UK is to make any kind of run in the NCAA they will need several things to work in their favor. #1. They will need a very favorable draw maybe going West as it seems year after year to be the weakest of the regions. This won't hurt the fan following as UK has no problem with their fans traveling wherever. #2. They will need Cal to be able to get Knight some rest late in games and that may be hard to do given that Lamb is shaky running the point. #3. They will need Cal to utilize timeouts to his fullest and not waste them early so he can get starters the rest down the stretch of tight games. With all the long tv timeouts a good coach can use them to his advantage and have much needed rest for players at the end of games. #4. They will need Miller and Liggins to shoot without hesitation and Harrelson to stay out of foul trouble and clean up the boards. Do these thing and you can make a run at the elite 8 but I honestly can't see them going any further than that.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.