Lex Cath 17 Highlands 0

Birdsfan

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Knights. You have a very good team. I was impressed, particularly with your defense. Tip of the hat to your defensive coordinator. Good luck to you and all the other teams remaining in the playoffs. It will seem odd in AAA without us, CovCath, Bell or Boyle still playing but I am glad for the other programs that are still playing. And you've gotten there without the need for Prop 20 protection, without squad limits or any of the other silly level the playing field ideas. Bullitt East, lots of love your way since you are the new kids on the block.

Birds: to the seniors, it was a pretty good run, all in all, wasn't it? Thanks for your contributions to the Birds program and history. You did it with class even when the road was bumpy. Thanks for hanging in there and persevering. I know its not been easy for some of you, but I am sure those challenges have made better men of each of you and that's what sports is really all about; remember how you handled your disappointments, your challenges and your setbacks. You are to the last one of you, fine young men; to the juniors, sophomores and freshmen: time to start getting ready for next year. Handle this loss the same way the underclassmen handled the defeat by Boyle in the state game a couple of years ago. You remember what they did. Its now your turn and its your turn starting at noon today. Juniors: remember the pain you saw in the seniors as they realized there is no next year, as there will be no next year for you after next year. Remember this is your last go around each and every time your body is telling you not to run that last gasser or make that last lift this off season. Work on your grades and don't do stupid stuff. Sure the temptation and peer pressure will be there, but be bigger than that. If you can gut out gassers after gasser in 100 degree weather, you can resist some knucklehead trying to get you to do something stupid. Use that football discipline to your benefit off the field.

To all the Bird supporters: thanks for supporting the Birds. I know they appreciated all of us being there and supporting them. To the moms, especially Mrs. Howell, who did so much decorating doors, meals, etc. mega thanks also. You were great. Its been a lot of fun hanging out with you. To the senior parents who don't have underclassmen, we look forward to continue seeing you at practices, pre games and of course the games.

Coaches: thanks for all you did for my son and the rest of the boys on the team. I know you put in ridiculous hours for little, and for some of you no, pay. You did it for the love of the school, the program and the kids and I'll forever be grateful for that. At times it seems like a thankless job when you have to deal with all the pressures of the program; deal with great, hard working kids disappointed with their playing time; and deal with being away from you family so much. But you are wrong, as there are many thanks out there for your efforts and sacrifices. And an even bigger thank you goes to all the coaches' families. You give up a lot for a high school that a lot of you didn't attend and for kids that you never met before. Please remember that your husband/father/brother/uncle (whatever the case may be) has made a very positive impact on my son and the other boys and it is greatly appreciated by all of us.

Coaches, I'm sure that as you look at the film in the cold winter months to follow, you'll be able to analyze what if anything you could have done differently and you'll be able determine if you should have done this or not done that leading up to and during last night's game. If there were things that should have been done differently, I'm sure you'll then figure out why you didn't make those observations before the game. Was it scouting? Was it in film review? Was it coaching? Do we have the right coaches on the sidelines and the right ones in the box? Who knows at this point, but I have faith and confidence that Dale and Co. will take the time to examine the game and their preparations for it to figure out where things went wrong and I'm confident that they will then correct them. Total faith and confidence. They realize how important winning state is to these young men and will turn over every stone to determine what if any weaknesses we have in our system.

Its been a fun year; ended a little early and not the way I wanted, but its been fun. To the Hudy's and all the other wonderful people that invited Henry and I into their homes for pre and post game parties: thanks a whole lot. The Birds program is a lot more than just the football game; its being part of a big family and once in, always in. Having a kid in the program really is a pretty fun and very special experience isn't it?

If anybody was questioning I don't think they will anymore. You will be hard pressed to find a better shutdown corner in the state then Ben Revere! He has blanketed people all season. I think Guduli had one catch all night and Revere was taking shots on here for only being 5'8.

Burke is a warrior! His guts last night will not be forgotten! Israel had another nice game out of the backfield for the Knights and Burbage came up with some big plays. I don't remember the Birds being shutout at home in the playoffs! Congrats to the defense led by Locknane.

Congrats to LC on a HUGE WIN. I know, this is not the results that I had hope for,and I KNOW you gave your all and left it all on the field. You guys have a young team and played your hearts out. Remember the tears on the faces of the seniors and the sadness in the locker room last night. I know that Dale will have you ready to take the next steps to winning another state title starting Monday. To the seniors I thank you for your leadership and dedication. I know you all will be successful in whatever life holds next for you and thank you. You achieve more than many thought you would this season.Go Birds win state in 2006. :thumb:

I have not seen Micah Johnson play.

I have watched Justin Burke play in many situations, and plenty of folks have reeled off the numbers he has put up this season, but last night should seal the deal for him as Mr. Football.

The line score of 1 TD on 117 yards passing doesn't look impressive in the paper.

The coaches had the game plan and Highlands had no answer for the much-maligned defense of LC, but the leadership and desire Burke displayed while obviously in pain had to lift his teammates on both sides of the ball one notch higher. You could almost feel the energy that there was no way Highlands would be allowed to score on that final possession.