Lex Cath 17 Highlands 0

Birdsfan

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Revere really had little to do with Ben getting very few touches last night. Your D line and LBs deserve most of the credit. The pressure they exerted on Cecil was the key factor. He had no time to get the ball to Guidugli. Ben was open on several occasions but the ball could not be thrown to him because of the D line and Lbs pressure. He was also overthrown a couple times when he was open in the end zone. So Revere may be a capable DB, but don't kid yourself into thinking he shut down Guidugli one on one. The entire Knights defense and coaching staff deserve the credit. That said, the Knights Defense was fantastic last night. If they play like that against the Rock, they win handily and move on to the title game! Good luck Knights!

Revere blanketed Guidugli all night long; give credit where credit is due. Even when Cecil did have time, very few Birds were open, especially not Guidugli. Even on Guidulgi's one catch, it was excellent coverage, Ben made a great catch.

I am surprised LC moved Revere in to guard Guidugli because of adjustments at the other CB positions they would have to make and because of the size difference, but Revere proved size isn't as important as speed.

LC's CBs play a good 1/2 yd. inside for those of you wanting a slant to be run; they take that away right away with alignment, and then dare you to try to outrun them on the fade, whcih neither CCH nor Highlands could do.

After 42-39 last week, I never dreamed I'd see 17-0.

For those of you criticizing Mueller, you underestimate LC and Mueller's coaching ability. Chalie Weiss could have been calling plays last night and it would not have mattered. Again give credit where credit is due!

I thought Highlands would win, so LC made a believer of me.

Great game for the Knights. I was glad to be part of the crowd. This is what high school football is all about...two class programs giving their all. It was most gratifying to see a good LexCath crowd. We all risked a long cold drive home. One question for any Knight historians out there. How long has it been since LexCath has shut out an opponent?

The kid has more DESIRE than any player I've seen play at Highlands field over the last decade. I've seen a couple better players than the Lexington Catholic QB, but NO ONE WITH MORE DESIRE to win. Congrats to Lexington Catholic's coaching staff for outcoaching Highlands.

It was the Knights outperforming the Birds; Tony Franklin, Norm Chow, Charlie Weiss wouldn't have made a difference last night calling plays.

The Birds D played really well.

Here's the question: Was last night's LC D performance an aberration? They have given up lots of points to their better opponents.

They match up really well against Highlands; the Birds are not overpowering up front and LC's front 7 was just quicker; they swarmed all night long; a couple of quick hitters popped Kramer & 32 through, but Highlands just could not sustain anything; LC's kids just kept making plays.

The mis-direction and play fakes that slow other teams down just gave the Knights time to penetrate and run.

Congratulations to Lexington Catholic, great game plan and very well executed. I guess people can quit saying they have a weak defense. Great fan support also by the LexCath faithful, very classy. Good luck to all of you and I hope you win state; I know it’s long overdue for you and well deserved.

Highlands’s defense played extremely well, holding Burke and company to 17 points is nothing hang your heads about. I felt the offense struggled because they faced a stellar performance from LexCath and the Highlands play calling was the worst and most predictable I’ve witnessed all season. Sorry HHS faithful, that’s just a cold hard fact, when something’s not working you need to have a plan B and I didn’t see one.

Mueller tried everything and nothing worked; play action, mis-direction, straight drop back, quick hitters; LC stopped plan A, B, C & D; that is the cold hard fact; give credit where credit is due. You didn't see plan B becasue there were 2 or 3 LC defenders in the way!

Great game for the Knights. I was glad to be part of the crowd. This is what high school football is all about...two class programs giving their all. It was most gratifying to see a good LexCath crowd. We all risked a long cold drive home. One question for any Knight historians out there. How long has it been since LexCath has shut out an opponent?

Last year. They had 3 according to the Lex. Cath website.

I thought they should have utilized Guidugli on the outside, man to man with no safety suppor all night long. On the other hand Cecil had very little time for a deep passing game. Very impressed with Lex Cath, not spectacular running the ball but they have multiple options in the passing game.

He was single covered 90+% of the time.

Israel did rush for over 110 yards.

If you hold LexCath to 17 points you should win the game!!!!!!!!!Terrible play calling all night long......Does HHS not have a quick slant in their offensive scheme???????JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :madman: :madman:

Bob Bratkowski would not have gotten a TD for the Birds last night.

If you hold LexCath to 17 points you should win the game!!!!!!!!!Terrible play calling all night long......Does HHS not have a quick slant in their offensive scheme???????JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :madman: :madman:

LC take that away by lining up a good 1/2 yd. inside the wideouts; a slant attempt will result in a big time jam and loss of timing.

LC stopped all plays regardless what Highlands tried.

I would blame the lack of points on the TOs in LC territory.

Hats off to the Knights. Total domination all night long.

Is it just me or is there no play in the book for a 3 and 7 or 8? Why are we always calling a stinkin 30 or 40 pass in those situations. How many first downs did we have tonight 2? We were man handled everywhere and play calling helped us 0!

LC is better; give their defense credit. The TOs were a huge factor in the 0 points!

When the shorter routes are covered, another option is to throw it deeper; that or throw it away.

How does Mueller not have an answer for 8 men in the box? A screen, a slant or even the maligned jet sweep would keep the linebackers honest if you ran it occasionally. To keep dropping back to pass is the definition of insanity against a constant blitz.

Lex Cath knows too well that the Birds have no screen pass or slant in the arsenal and they took full advantage tonight. I cannot imagine why you don't find a way to get the ball to Guidugli on a slant and let him take on 1 or 2 DBs in the open field.

Lex Cath earned the win but were aided by very poor play calling from the Highlands bench. Good luck next week Knights! Let the Birds say they were beaten by the eventual state Champs!

Guidugli had Revere on him like glue; early in the game the ball was thrown to him and Revere jumped the route; that probably was a big reason why Cecil was hesitant to throw it to him.