Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Things overheard at Rupp Arena

Featured Replies

I was able to score some tickets and went to last night's UK/MVS game at Rupp. It was the first time in over 20 years that I sat in the cattle call known as the upper arena. It may be another 20 years (and 20 fewer pounds) before I try that again :lol:

 

My game experience was enhanced by a pair of elderly season ticket holders who sat right behind me. Next to them was a UK fan from Louisville. So needless to say, I didn't need Tom Leach and Mike Pratt in my ear providing the details of the game. Here are some of the nuggets I was provided with free of charge from the upper level of Rupp.

 

On the UK band

 

"You would think they would learn a new song or two. Those songs were Rupp's favorties I think"

 

On the importance of free throws

 

"Making free throws is an important part of scoring points."

 

On Mike Hartline

 

"I hate it for Hartline. He's not been found guilty of anything. I think those Lexington cops are just looking for UK players to arrest."

 

On how Lexington Police and Louisville Police differ

 

"The Louisville police go out of their way to not arrest Louisville players when they do something wrong."

 

On the UK playing career of MVS Sean Woods

 

"It was a shame that team lost to Georgetown in the Final Four. I thought they were going to win it all that year."

 

When it was pointed out that Woods played for Pitino in the 1990s....

 

"At least he got a championship ring then."

 

Grandma then chimed in on Josh Harralson

 

"I could just take that boy home with me. He's so good looking. He's another George Clooney"

 

Following Darius Miller's first basket of the game

 

"Calipari has to let him shoot more. Miller would be an All-American if Calipari let him shoot as much as Knight."

 

When the 40 players gathered at midcourt at halftime as part of the Joe Hall tribute, the fan from Louisville asked...

 

"Where is Richie Farmer?"

 

Something no UK fan ever discusses

 

"These officials are just out to get UK. We never get a fairly-called game."

 

More free throw knowledge and how it relates to the game.

 

"Making two of three is better than not making any I guess."

 

Upon spotting a female sitting in the high priced lower level seats just off the floor

 

"Why would anyone wear a red shirt to a UK game?"

 

:lol::lol::lol:

 

Just an entertaining night all around. I'm sure you've had these people sit around you at games before, offering unsolicited commentary on anything and everything.

 

I felt like Jim Carrey listening to Victoria Rowell at the bar in that scene in Dumb and Dumber. :lol:

  • Replies 39
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol: :lol: :lol:

 

Thanks for sharing, Scribe. This reminds me of a similar night I had at the Yum! Center a few weeks ago. It was for a UofL women's game, they were drubbing somebody (no, not UK :D). There were four gentlemen sitting behind us, obviously enjoying the many bars of the Yum!... These were the set of guys that you KNEW had never been to a game, and probably would never be at another one. :lol: Well, one of them was taking in the sights more than the rest, and coined the phrase "Kentucky: Fast horses and beautiful women!" The first few times I chuckled at it... And then he just kept saying it, and saying it.... And saying it. Twenty-three times was the final count (Yes, I kept count :lol:). Needless to say in was an interesting evening.

  • Author

I forgot one. They were talking about Doron Lamb and the guy from Louisville says "Lamb is from Brooklyn. That's a really rough place. I've never been there though."

 

:lol:

I would say those conversations represent about 85% of the UK fan base.

That is some funny stuff Scribe! :lol::lol:

 

I had "that guy" sitting behind at the UofL game yesterday. :irked:

You just want to look at them and say..."Will you just shut-up...please" :lol:

Could have been worse. You didn't sit beside the guy who knows the officals by name and thinks his 2 years of ref experience at elementary school games qualifies him to question the officiating.

:laugh::laugh: I love this thread. These conversations no doubt go on at every game, every corner restaraunt anywhere. I can full well believe it bc I have heard conversations like those and worse. My brother in law also heard, "they should had let little Billy time to get over his drinking problem, he was a good coach when he wasn't drunk and gettig arrested" :lol:.. Gotta love it, it will never end.

I am waiting on the "Fire Cal" calls to start coming in :D. I just know that will happen sooner or later. :lol: Anyone heard any of those yet?

Could have been worse. You didn't sit beside the guy who knows the officals by name and thinks his 2 years of ref experience at elementary school games qualifies him to question the officiating.

 

:thumb: Plus, their eye sight is so good that they saw that was a bad call from the upper arena.

My dear mother is 85 years old, an avid UK basketball fan and according to her UK has never lost a basketball game, the officials stole every game that the Cats have ever lost.

I would say those conversations represent about 85% of the UK fan base.

 

I really don't think that or at least hope the pct. it not that high, imo the ones that we hear that from are just the most vocal that we hear over anyone. These people are the ones that you may think they are idiots and then the more they talk it removes any and all doubt. :lol:

:thumb: Plus, their eye sight is so good that they saw that was a bad call from the upper arena.

My dear mother is 85 years old, an avid UK basketball fan and according to her UK has never lost a basketball game, the officials stole every game that the Cats have ever lost.

 

I believe that she is correct :D.

I was able to score some tickets and went to last night's UK/MVS game at Rupp. It was the first time in over 20 years that I sat in the cattle call known as the upper arena. It may be another 20 years (and 20 fewer pounds) before I try that again :lol:

 

My game experience was enhanced by a pair of elderly season ticket holders who sat right behind me. Next to them was a UK fan from Louisville. So needless to say, I didn't need Tom Leach and Mike Pratt in my ear providing the details of the game. Here are some of the nuggets I was provided with free of charge from the upper level of Rupp.

 

On the UK band

 

"You would think they would learn a new song or two. Those songs were Rupp's favorties I think"

 

On the importance of free throws

 

"Making free throws is an important part of scoring points."

 

On Mike Hartline

 

"I hate it for Hartline. He's not been found guilty of anything. I think those Lexington cops are just looking for UK players to arrest."

 

On how Lexington Police and Louisville Police differ

 

"The Louisville police go out of their way to not arrest Louisville players when they do something wrong."

 

On the UK playing career of MVS Sean Woods

 

"It was a shame that team lost to Georgetown in the Final Four. I thought they were going to win it all that year."

 

When it was pointed out that Woods played for Pitino in the 1990s....

 

"At least he got a championship ring then."

 

Grandma then chimed in on Josh Harralson

 

"I could just take that boy home with me. He's so good looking. He's another George Clooney"

 

Following Darius Miller's first basket of the game

 

"Calipari has to let him shoot more. Miller would be an All-American if Calipari let him shoot as much as Knight."

 

When the 40 players gathered at midcourt at halftime as part of the Joe Hall tribute, the fan from Louisville asked...

 

"Where is Richie Farmer?"

 

Something no UK fan ever discusses

 

"These officials are just out to get UK. We never get a fairly-called game."

 

More free throw knowledge and how it relates to the game.

 

"Making two of three is better than not making any I guess."

 

Upon spotting a female sitting in the high priced lower level seats just off the floor

 

"Why would anyone wear a red shirt to a UK game?"

 

:lol::lol::lol:

 

Just an entertaining night all around. I'm sure you've had these people sit around you at games before, offering unsolicited commentary on anything and everything.

 

I felt like Jim Carrey listening to Victoria Rowell at the bar in that scene in Dumb and Dumber. :lol:

 

 

Sounds like you were sitting behind some BGP members. :lol:

This usually happens to me at a Reds game.

 

Example: A few years ago 2 guys were sitting behind my crew at a game and one said, "There are the retired numbers. 20 is Geromimo and 42 is Seaver".

That is some funny stuff Scribe! :lol::lol:

 

I had "that guy" sitting behind at the UofL game yesterday. :irked:

You just want to look at them and say..."Will you just shut-up...please" :lol:

 

I don't know. That's entertaining stuff. I think I'd encourage them to humor me some more.

 

Those were great, but I think my favorite was this one...

 

On the importance of free throws

 

"Making free throws is an important part of scoring points."

Could have been worse. You didn't sit beside the guy who knows the officals by name and thinks his 2 years of ref experience at elementary school games qualifies him to question the officiating.

 

I sat in front of this same guy (had to be) in Tuscaloosa this season. He twittered the entire game also....right? This has been a very entertaining post....thanks!!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.